Seriously No Politics ×

???

USU78

I've been stewing about the name Laban, ???,for a number of years now, ever since I saw that one of the possible meanings was spoiled milk (from my Langenscheidt's). "White" appears to be the principal meaning, but, given how both Labans in scripture (Jacob's and Nephi's secondary nemeses) are presented, the primary meaning of white, pure/high-status/righteous, appears to me to be meant ironically.

Given how Nephi's Laban is "poured-out" at he end of his life, like curdley milk would be, tossed out into the street, and how Jacob's Laban is a veritable "whited wall," it's hard to imagine that the name is coincidentally assigned.

What say'ee, my Hebrew gurus?

I've been stewing about the name Laban, ???,for a number of years now, ever since I saw that one of the possible meanings was spoiled milk (from my Langenscheidt's). "White" appears to be the principal meaning, but, given how both Labans in scripture (Jacob's and Nephi's secondary nemeses) are presented, the primary meaning of white, pure/high-status/righteous, appears to me to be meant ironically...

I don't quite follow.

Why would the parents of those two Labans have named their sons with intentional irony?

Or are you implying the naming was actually prophetic, and God inspired their parents to do that - with intentional irony?

I don't quite follow.

Why would the parents of those two Labans have named their sons with intentional irony?

Or are you implying the naming was actually prophetic, and God inspired their parents to do that - with intentional irony?

Or that the names were assigned by the writer to emphasize parts of the story (like was done with most names in Genesis).

Your guess is as good as anyone's.

Laban is also a place name in the lowland area of Judah 13 miles west of Jerusalem and about 6 miles to the northwest of the city of Lehi, as well as a day's journey from Ether, Libnah, and Ramah.

Lehi and Laban were both from the tribe of Manasseh who's ancestors somehow escaped the Assyrian conquests by slipping into the Kingdom of Judah. Given the fact that many of these cities are border towns, Laban could have come from the actual place. This of course is pure and poor speculation on my part in an effort to contribute to an already complex issue to address.

Edit: computer failed... Spoiled milk was and is a very popular food in that part of the world. Yoghurt is called Laban in Lebanon.

Labneh, which is a soft cheese made from yoghurt. You are making me homesick. Its name comes from its colour.

I don't quite follow.

See Nack's post. Another possibility is that it was a nickname.

I read an article a while ago that suggested the Laban LBN is NBL reversed. NBL in Hebrew roughly means foolish. Supposedly reversing the letters was a common technique in naming to convey meaning to the story or parable. I can't speak with any authority on this, but I thought the article was interesting.

Labneh, which is a soft cheese made from yoghurt. You are making me homesick. Its name comes from its colour.

I'm wondering if the name has something to do with the phrase "land of milk and honey," as in yoghurt sweetened with honey (??? speculation???)...

I'm wondering if the name has something to do with the phrase "land of milk and honey," as in yoghurt sweetened with honey (??? speculation???)...

Compared to, say, the Sinai Peninsula, Israel has plenty of grazing grounds and fruit trees. In most instances the honey mentioned seemed to have been fruit honey like the Arabic dibes.

I read an article a while ago that suggested the Laban LBN is NBL reversed. NBL in Hebrew roughly means foolish. Supposedly reversing the letters was a common technique in naming to convey meaning to the story or parable. I can't speak with any authority on this, but I thought the article was interesting.

And Nabal means "churl," and the Nabal of the Bible was indeed a churl.

Archived