Seriously No Politics ×

Exaltation and Resurrection

mercyngrace

"Here, then, is eternal life - to know the only wise and true God; and you have got to learn how to be Gods yourselves, and to be kings and priests to God, the same as all Gods have done before you, namely by going from one small degree to another, and from a small capacity to a great one; from grace to grace, from exaltation to exaltation, until you attain to the resurrection of the dead, and are able to dwell in everlasting burnings, and sit in glory, as do those who sit enthroned in everlasting power. And I want you to know that God, in the last days, while certain individuals are proclaiming his name, is not trifling with you or me." TPJS pp.358-359

As far as I know, there is no timeline defined as to when the resurrection will actually occur. Yes, it will be before the "final judgment" -- but just as the final wrapping-up of the earth's existence is not defined in terms of, say, "1,000 years after the commencement of the Millennium", I don't think the actual timing of the resurrection is defined, either.

I've looked. Anyone else found it (in scripture)?

HiJolly

"Here, then, is eternal life - to know the only wise and true God; and you have got to learn how to be Gods yourselves, and to be kings and priests to God, the same as all Gods have done before you, namely by going from one small degree to another, and from a small capacity to a great one; from grace to grace, from exaltation to exaltation, until you attain to the resurrection of the dead, and are able to dwell in everlasting burnings, and sit in glory, as do those who sit enthroned in everlasting power. And I want you to know that God, in the last days, while certain individuals are proclaiming his name, is not trifling with you or me." TPJS pp.358-359

My take is that we begin to know eternal life--knowing the only true God--in this life, and in this life we progress and proceed from one level to the next (an exaltation from one level of righteousness to the next highest level) until we die and are resurrected and judged worthy to dwell with God as a god. Spiritual improvement is an exaltation from the prior state, and not an exaltation above all things at once. "The" exaltation is what follows the resurrection and judgment.

As far as I know, there is no timeline defined as to when the resurrection will actually occur. Yes, it will be before the "final judgment" -- but just as the final wrapping-up of the earth's existence is not defined in terms of, say, "1,000 years after the commencement of the Millennium", I don't think the actual timing of the resurrection is defined, either.

HiJolly

HiJolly,

What interests me about the quote is that it seems to be saying that we must be exalted to be resurrected. The word "until" seems to indicate this to me.

But that puts non exalted beings in quite the predicament, doesn't it? So, how do we reconcile?

MnG

Alma 40 describes it occurring anytime following the resurrection of Christ, but that for some people it is sooner than others, for others later.

My take is that we begin to know eternal life--knowing the only true God--in this life, and in this life we progress and proceed from one level to the next (an exaltation from one level of righteousness to the next highest level) until we die and are resurrected and judged worthy to dwell with God as a god. Spiritual improvement is an exaltation from the prior state, and not an exaltation above all things at once. "The" exaltation is what follows the resurrection and judgment.

So exaltation then, in this quote, means simply being quickened from one state to another until we are prepared to be "Exalted"?

So exaltation then, in this quote, means simply being quickened from one state to another until we are prepared to be "Exalted"?

To me, "quickened" refers to receiving an advanced degree of glory while still in the mortal flesh, and is usually a temporary condition that accompanies particular revelations, communications, transfiguration, etc. I think in this quote, "exaltation" is a more subtle change that comes upon us as we progress line upon line, precept upon precept, and gain more power in the priesthood and cleansing/purifying/sanctifying influence from the Holy Ghost.

CV75,

Even accepting that explanation, there still seems to be a threshold for resurrection. What is that?

According to Alma 40, like birth and death, the resurrection occurs for each individual on the Lord's timetable, and is identified as part of certain broad and general parameters such as "first," "second" and "final."

I've often thought about this in connection with what the Savior taught when questioned about the woman with seven husbands. To my mind it seems that Christ differentiates between the "resurrection" and the "resurrection of the dead." I kind of understand it mean that one is simply the reuniting of the body and spirit while the other is the full resurrection of those who are spiritually dead. IOW, the resurrection of the dead is when we are fully brought back into the presence of the Father and are made like him. Just my two cents worth.

I think its a disguised way of introducing the doctrine of "multiple mortal probations" (ie-reincarnation). You keeping living and reincarnating until you progress enough to obtain a final resurrection.

According to Alma 40, like birth and death, the resurrection occurs for each individual on the Lord's timetable, and is identified as part of certain broad and general parameters such as "first," "second" and "final."

Yeah - I get that. What I'm asking is what "exaltation" must we attain for resurrection?

Joseph Smith seems to be saying that we progress from exaltation to exaltation. You're saying this use of "exaltation" means the same as from grace to grace. So what grace is the cutoff for resurrection?

Also in the quote cited above, the prophet directly links resurrection with being able to dwell in everlasting burnings and sit on thrones of glory.

So what it sounds like is that we progress through mortality and into the spirit world until we reach exaltation and then we are resurrected. I know that is not what we teach which is why I'm asking about the quote.

I think its a disguised way of introducing the doctrine of "multiple mortal probations" (ie-reincarnation). You keeping living and reincarnating until you progress enough to obtain a final resurrection.

Well, we don't need multiple mortal probations since the probationary period extends to the Spirit World. Why else do we baptize for the dead?

What interests me about the quote is that it seems to be saying that we must be exalted to be resurrected. The word "until" seems to indicate this to me.

Everyone ever born on this planet will be resurrected, some to the resurrection of life and others to the resurrection of damnation (John 5:28-29).

What Joseph Smith is talking about in the quote given in the OP is what we have to do AFTER we have been resurrected and AFTER we have obtained our initial exaltation, if we want to be like The Father.

"[Y]ou have got to learn how to be Gods yourselves, . . . the same as all Gods have done before you, . . .." Notice that he is telling us how to become Gods, by following the path of all the Gods before us.

He then explains how to do this: " . . . namely by going from one small degree to another, and from a small capacity to a great one; from grace to grace, from exaltation to exaltation. . .."

Notice that those of whom he is speaking are already exalted. They are going from one exaltation to another exaltation.

He then explains what eventually awaits those who are faithful in following The Father completely. They will continue to progress " . . . until [they] attain to the resurrection of the dead, and are able to dwell in everlasting burnings, and sit in glory, as do those who sit enthroned in everlasting power."

In other words, they will eventually arrive at a point where they will be given the power to resurrect others. When he mentions "the resurrection of the dead" he is giving one example of the "everlasting power" held by those who "dwell in everlasting burnings, and sit [enthroned] in glory."

Just my $0.02.

Yeah - I get that. What I'm asking is what "exaltation" must we attain for resurrection?

Joseph Smith seems to be saying that we progress from exaltation to exaltation. You're saying this use of "exaltation" means the same as from grace to grace. So what grace is the cutoff for resurrection?

Also in the quote cited above, the prophet directly links resurrection with being able to dwell in everlasting burnings and sit on thrones of glory.

So what it sounds like is that we progress through mortality and into the spirit world until we reach exaltation and then we are resurrected. I know that is not what we teach which is why I'm asking about the quote.

We just progress (small steps of individual promotions or "exaltations") until we are resurrected, the cutoff / timing of which is up to the Lord. Those who obtain "The" exaltation are those who, at this cutoff point, sufficiently know God, and so are able to dwell in exaltation.

I think he is saying that we progress through mortality and into the spirit world, step by step (in his words, exaltation to exaltation, or in my words, advancement to advancement / promotion to promotion) until we are resurrected, and those who know God through this process become "EXALTED."

"Here, then, is eternal life - to know the only wise and true God; and you have got to learn how to be Gods yourselves, and to be kings and priests to God, the same as all Gods have done before you, namely by going from one small degree to another, and from a small capacity to a great one; from grace to grace, from exaltation to exaltation, until you attain to [receive] the resurrection of the dead, and are [judged worthy and thus] able to dwell in everlasting burnings, and sit in glory, as do those who sit enthroned in everlasting power. And I want you to know that God, in the last days, while certain individuals are proclaiming his name, is not trifling with you or me."

THE TEMPLE ROOTS OF THE LITURGY by Margaret Barker

The royal rituals in the holy of holies, beyond time, are the setting of the Eucharist, although it is not clear how the various parts of the originals fitted together. Psalm 110 (LXX 109), is obscure (perhaps obscured) in the Hebrew, but the Greek describes how the king is born as the divine son in the glory of the holy ones, i.e. in the holy of holies, and declared to be the Melchizedek priest. This must have been the original setting for Isaiah 9.6-7:

Notice that those of whom he is speaking are already exalted. They are going from one exaltation to another exaltation.

...they will eventually arrive at a point where they will be given the power to resurrect others.

I can buy into that!

Urroner,

Am I understanding correctly that you're suggesting this is temple symbology rather than a reference to physical resurrection?

Lachoneus,

In what sense were all 20,000 attendees at the KF funeral "already exalted"? Baptism? Receiving the HG? Sincerely asking...

MnG

In what sense were all 20,000 attendees at the KF funeral "already exalted"?

They were not, nor did I intend to imply such. I must not have expressed myself well.

What I was saying is that what Joseph Smith is explaining here is what happens AFTER we have been resurrected. None of those present at this discourse had yet been resurrected, so he was speaking of things to come in the future.

Those whom Joseph Smith describes as "going . . . from exaltation to exaltation . . .." are those who have already been exalted. You cannot go from one exaltation to another exaltation unless you have already been exalted in the first place. So, AFTER you have been resurrected and AFTER you have been exalted, THEN you can go from that exaltation to other, higher exaltations, until you receive the power to resurrect other beings.

Urroner,

Am I understanding correctly that you're suggesting this is temple symbology rather than a reference to physical resurrection?

It could be. Interpreting it that way makes sense.

What did JS mean by "exaltation to exaltation?" In ancient Jewish mythology, and it's talked about in the Book of Enoch, it talks about several different levels of heaven and one could not advance to the next level until one was prepared and one had to bypass the elohim guarding the gates/doors of the different levels.

What I was saying is that what Joseph Smith is explaining here is what happens AFTER we have been resurrected. None of those present at this discourse had yet been resurrected, so he was speaking of things to come in the future.

Those whom Joseph Smith describes as "going . . . from exaltation to exaltation . . .." are those who have already been exalted. You cannot go from one exaltation to another exaltation unless you have already been exalted in the first place. So, AFTER you have been resurrected and AFTER you have been exalted, THEN you can go from that exaltation to other, higher exaltations, until you receive the power to resurrect other beings.

Got it.

I just misread your comment in my attempt to read through everyone's posts.

It could be. Interpreting it that way makes sense.

What did JS mean by "exaltation to exaltation?" In ancient Jewish mythology, and it's talked about in the Book of Enoch, it talks about several different levels of heaven and one could not advance to the next level until one was prepared and one had to bypass the elohim guarding the gates/doors of the different levels.

Funny you mention BOE - It's on my nightstand waiting for my return... I got distracted reading up on Gospel of Judas (maybe I'll start another thread so you can help me understand that :P )

PS Isn't the temple experience a type and shadow?

Archived