Seriously No Politics ×

The Book of Malchus

Daniel Peterson

I've just finished reading The Book of Malchus (Deseret Book, 2010), a new novel written by Neil K. Newell with the assistance of this board's occasional-own William J. Hamblin, my unrepentant partner in any number of vicious, rage-fueled stunts demonstrating the unethical, unprincipled, dishonest, and heartless nature of Mopologetics.

I have to admit, at the risk of contributing to Bill's already dangerously inflated sense of self-importance, that I liked it a lot.

It's set in Carthage, North Africa, in AD 410, but contains an internal story set in a significantly earlier time and a very different place. (You'll get no plot-spoilers from me.)

I've just finished reading The Book of Malchus (Deseret Book, 2010), a new novel written by Neil K. Newell with the assistance of this board's occasional-own William J. Hamblin, my unrepentant partner in any number of vicious, rage-fueled stunts demonstrating the unethical, unprincipled, dishonest, and heartless nature of Mopologetics.

I have to admit, at the risk of contributing to Bill's already dangerously inflated sense of self-importance, that I liked it a lot.

It's set in Carthage, North Africa, in AD 410, but contains an internal story set in a significantly earlier time and a very different place. (You'll get no plot-spoilers from me.)

You mean somebody has actually read the thing?! Was there enough philosophy in there for you?

Don't worry; it is impossible to inflate my sense of self-importance. You can't increase infinity.

Will you please get your partner the Andrus DVD I mailed to you?

When I put together the Andrus DVD's some time back I mailed you two of the resulting DVD's with a note requesting that you get one to Dr. Hamblin if you had some inter-office correspondence or something. I understood that you were friends and work acquaintances. I emailed you a few weeks back after being contacted by Bill about this. I've never heard back from you. Did you not get the DVD's, threw them away on sight, other?

Oh oh. This rings no bells.

Nothing personal. I'll search. But I should advise you that my youngest son has launched a major project to clean, reorganize, and repaint our house. All is chaos. All has been chaos for more than a month. It's awful. There isn't even a place to sit down. The odds of my finding anything very soon are low to nonexistent.

Well, the delay may not have been quite as bad as you fear. Not to exculpate myself, really, but . . . Dr. Hamblin didn't return to the United States until the end of August or even, if I'm not mistaken, early September. Prior to that, he was in Israel for more than a year. I couldn't have given it to him before that.

Ah. Just noted your edit. I asked you not to take it personally, but it appears that you do, nonetheless. I apologize, but I repeat that nothing personal was intended. I'm not even absolutely sure that I ever saw what you say you sent to me, though I don't have any reason to doubt that you did, in fact, send it.

Well, the delay may not have been quite as bad as you fear. Not to exculpate myself, really, but . . . Dr. Hamblin didn't return to the United States until the end of August or even, if I'm not mistaken, early September. Prior to that, he was in Israel for more than a year. I couldn't have given it to him before that.

Ah. Just noted your edit. I asked you not to take it personally, but it appears that you do, nonetheless. I apologize, but I repeat that nothing personal was intended. I'm not even absolutely sure that I ever saw what you say you sent to me, though I don't have any reason to doubt that you did, in fact, send it.

I see rockslider on the board, and don't want him to miss my response, above.

Archived