Seriously No Politics ×

Documentary on the making of the LDS edition of the Bible

David T

Also discusses the difficulty of transmitting the work into different languages, and deciding upon the Guide ot the Scriptures, and works such as the 2009 Spanish LDS edition of the Bible, hinting that other such projects are being developed.

Such a big theme of the documentary is that because of this 1979 edition of the KJV, now the Saints can better utilize the Bible throughout the world!

...unless, of course, you don't read English or Spanish.

I still say the Church needs to commission (or authorize) their own proprietary NEW scholarly translation of the scriptures in English, which can then (following the JW model) be translated and annotated without copyright issue - treat it just like they do the translation of the Triple.

Maybe if the BYU-Rendition of the NT is popular with the brethren, it may lead to such a project...

For those interested.... it'll also be airing between conference sessions tomorrow.

http://www.byutv.org/watch/2039-100

Apparently they utilized return Missionaries to generate many of the cross references. That explains a lot ;)

Makes clear and praises McConkie's role in writing of the Chapter headings. Referred to as a "commentary".

That was great

Also discusses the difficulty of transmitting the work into different languages, and deciding upon the Guide ot the Scriptures, and works such as the 2009 Spanish LDS edition of the Bible, hinting that other such projects are being developed.

Such a big theme of the documentary is that because of this 1979 edition of the KJV, now the Saints can better utilize the Bible throughout the world!

...unless, of course, you don't read English or Spanish.

I still say the Church needs to commission (or authorize) their own proprietary NEW scholarly translation of the scriptures in English, which can then (following the JW model) be translated and annotated without copyright issue - treat it just like they do the translation of the Triple.

Maybe if the BYU-Rendition of the NT is popular with the brethren, it may lead to such a project...

The Church has a document called "Guide to the Scriptures," which is a prototype in English for translation into various languages and inclusion with the scriptures in those languages. It incorporates the Bible Dictionary and Topical Guide, amalgamating them into one.

Why do I get a feeling this Conference it going to be about not being able to trust the regular KJV without the extra LDS stuff in it? :P

The KJV in and of itself is trustworthy; some of the sectarian creeds that have been superimposed on it over the course of centuries, not so much.

The Church has a document called "Guide to the Scriptures," which is a prototype in English for translation into various languages and inclusion with the scriptures in those languages. It incorporates the Bible Dictionary and Topical Guide, amalgamating them into one.

I'm not quite sure why there hasn't been a new edition of the Russian scriptures, like there has been for Ukrainian, but the Guide to the Scriptures is referenced in the footnotes. When it appears in Russian that will make the editor's job much easier.

I know. I mentioned the Guide to the Scriptures in the very post you quoted :P However, as great a resource it is (and personally, I like the Guide better than the Topical Guide and the Bible Dictionary!) that still isn't the same as having an edition with references and footnotes published in the Bible itself - and still doesn't give the Church the copyright to publish the international Bibles, or to make available, for example, a Quad, or to cross reference it and make the Bible text available on the Church Website.

The guide is a great step - but it's only a step. It's not the solution.

I know. I mentioned the Guide to the Scriptures in the very post you quoted ;)

Oops. :P

However, as great a resource it is (and personally, I like the Guide better than the Topical Guide and the Bible Dictionary!) that still isn't the same as having an edition with references and footnotes published in the Bible itself - and still doesn't give the Church the copyright to publish the international Bibles, or to make available, for example, a Quad, or to cross reference it and make the Bible text available on the Church Website.

The guide is a great step - but it's only a step. It's not the solution.

All this is true, of course. We make progress with baby steps.

Why do I get a feeling this Conference it going to be about not being able to trust the regular KJV without the extra LDS stuff in it?

Because your feelings are generated by the adversary.

So far, with three of five sessions (four of six if you properly count General Relief Society Conference, as well) already past, and not a mention of the AV, per se, in any edition, your feelings are unmasked as nothing more than wishful thinking on your part.

Lehi

Archived