Seriously No Politics ×

FARMS Review 22/1 (2010)

Daniel Peterson

Looks interesting as always, Daniel.

But what's with the Greg Smith piece? Didn't Scratch and Toady tell us you've been ordered by this or that apostolic faction to be kind to "chapel Mormons"?

Basic New Perspectives on the Sermon on the Mount

George L. Mitton

FARMS Review: Volume - 22, Issue - 1, Pages: 1-4

A review of "The Sermon on the Mount in the Light of the Temple" by John W. Welch

Just wanted to give a Big UP! to Brother Welch. I've always appreciated his views on this subject. I also appreciate Brother Mitton's referencing two non-LDS reviews in his review.

Big UP!

Lamanite

Looks interesting as always, Daniel.

But what's with the Greg Smith piece? Didn't Scratch and Toady tell us you've been ordered by this or that apostolic faction to be kind to what they designate as "chapel Mormons"?

Heh heh heh.

It seems that the Packer Faction has been neutralized, at least temporarily, by a surprise attack from the Oaks Faction in conjunction with the Christofferson Faction, aided by a detachment from the Hales Faction as well as some spectral assistance from the not-as-defunct-as-you-imagined Wirthlin Faction and a few mercenaries dispatched by the Soares and Kikuchi Factions in exchange for better seats at the Tabernacle Choir Christmas program. (I'm not at liberty to reveal any details, except that it involved light sabers, solar flares, and peanut butter.)

Scratch and his faithful slave Toady aren't the only people around with a network of wholly unverifiable and utterly ludicrous secret informants.

Heh heh heh.

It seems that the Packer Faction has been neutralized, at least temporarily, by a surprise attack from the Oaks Faction in conjunction with the Christofferson Faction, aided by a detachment from the Hales Faction as well as some spectral assistance from the not-as-defunct-as-you-imagined Wirthlin Faction and a few mercenaries dispatched by the Soares and Kikuchi Factions in exchange for better seats at the Tabernacle Choir Christmas program. (I'm not at liberty to reveal any details, except that it involved light sabers, solar flares, and peanut butter.)

Scratch and his faithful slave Toady aren't the only people around with a network of wholly unverifiable and utterly ludicrous secret informants.

What about the Hamblin Faction? It may be a faction of one, but it's still a faction!

An interesting read. I am glad you put it up. Saves me money for subscribing to Books and Culture: A Christian Review which just came yesterday. I have never heard of editor, John Wilson turning up at book launchings and badgering the author because he disagrees with him. There is a fascinating article on a review of Lewis on Sex and Gender. He changed his views, as his comments in A Grief Observed show where the intellectual abilities of Joy. Come to think of it I don't think I have seen an "anti-mormon" article in B&C. There are too many other exciting things to read, discuss and debate.

Heh heh heh.

I'm waiting for a falling out between those two, at which point we'll see the putrefaction split off from the stupefaction.

Regards,

Pahoran

Can I join the Hamblin Faction? Are there uniforms?

Yes.

And, yes, there are uniforms. With genuinely dashing propeller beanies.

And you get to learn a really cute song, too.

An interesting read. I am glad you put it up. Saves me money for subscribing to Books and Culture: A Christian Review which just came yesterday. I have never heard of editor, John Wilson turning up at book launchings and badgering the author because he disagrees with him.

I've never heard of him doing that, either.

Nor have I done it.

There is a fascinating article on a review of Lewis on Sex and Gender. He changed his views, as his comments in A Grief Observed show where the intellectual abilities of Joy. Come to think of it I don't think I have seen an "anti-mormon" article in B&C. There are too many other exciting things to read, discuss and debate.

I've subscribed to Books and Culture since its founding. I enjoy it very much.

But I'm not altogether sure why you bring it up, except that, obviously, you intend thereby to score some obscure point against the FARMS Review and/or against Mormonism.

Whatever. Books and Culture has, though, run things about Mormonism. But you're quite right that it has never sunk to anti-Mormonism. Far too much class, for one thing.

I've subscribed to Books and Culture since its founding. I enjoy it very much.

But I'm not altogether sure why you bring it up, except that, obviously, you intend thereby to score some obscure point against the FARMS Review and/or against Mormonism.

Your third quote needs a change of author, must have been a glitch.
Likely referring to the legend of Lou, I reckon.

Presumably.

It's a legend that seems to grow with each retelling, by the way. A few weeks ago, one deeply alienated nominal member of the Church over at the Stalker/Toady Board -- never one to be impeded by her substantial ignorance -- was declaring that Professor Midgley should have been arrested for his horrible actions in that case.

Sorry, the essential characteristic of the Hamblin faction is its exclusivistic elitism. It must thus remain a faction of one.

I've heard tell that you're quite angry about your book being rated as "Enthusiastically recommended" with 3 stars instead of the four-star "Outstanding, a seminal work of the kind that appears only rarely" in the latest FARMS Review.

Sorry, the essential characteristic of the Hamblin faction is its exclusivistic elitism. It must thus remain a faction of one.

I hereby declare myself a member of the neo-Hamblinist faction--we will crush the reactionary running dog(s) that have perverted the true meaning of Hamblinism, and bring it back to its roots of caressing our iPods, iPads, and life size cardboard cutouts of Steve Jobs.

I've heard tell that you're quite angry about your book being rated as "Enthusiastically recommended" with 3 stars instead of the four-star "Outstanding, a seminal work of the kind that appears only rarely" in the latest FARMS Review.

My book's been rated?!

I hereby declare myself a member of the neo-Hamblinist faction--we will crush the reactionary running dog(s) that have perverted the true meaning of Hamblinism, and bring it back to its roots of caressing our iPods, iPads, and life size cardboard cutouts of Steve Jobs.

Fair enough, comrade!

Hamblinists of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your minds!

Dan tells me it was a typo.

I believe he meant to type: **********************************************

Fair enough, comrade!

Hamblinists of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your minds!

Well, I haven't been using mine for years, so that means I've got nothing to lose and everything to gain by being associated with this budding insurgency movement. The Hamblinites. Kinda has a nice ring to it. It might even make a good chant: "Hamblinites, Hamblinites, Hablinites ... FIGHT!"

So, I guess this constitutes a formal waving of my hand accompanied by an impassioned plea to "pick me, pick me!"

At least Hamblin, unlike "The Emperor" Midgley and Darth Dan, has hair.

At least Hamblin, unlike "The Emperor" Midgley and Darth Dan, has hair.

Everybody should achieve at least one soul-satisfying thing before dying.

Congratulations!

Ah, so that's why somebody hurled a rock through our front window last night!

I caught just a fleeting glimpse of the person who threw it. He had hair. Case closed.

Archived