Seriously No Politics ×

Isaiah Scholar gets fired from BYU

Duncan

So I was teaching Gospel Doctrine yestarday and when we got to Isaiah 2 we talked about Temples. This guy in our class who fancies himself smarter then everyone else and brags about it...anyways he said that there was a BYU Prof. who was an Isaiah scholar and he said that Isaiah wasn't talking about Temples but the Government of God and that because of this BYU fired him... My yourfullofsomethingmeter was going off and I asked him after who or when this was and he didn't know. Has anyone heard of something remotely like that?

So I was teaching Gospel Doctrine yestarday and when we got to Isaiah 2 we talked about Temples. This guy in our class who fancies himself smarter then everyone else and brags about it...anyways he said that there was a BYU Prof. who was an Isaiah scholar and he said that Isaiah wasn't talking about Temples but the Government of God and that because of this BYU fired him... My yourfullofsomethingmeter was going off and I asked him after who or when this was and he didn't know. Has anyone heard of something remotely like that?

Do a "CFR" on the dude.

He's probably refering to Avraham Gileadi. He was and is a good Isaiah scholar. He apparently has never discussed publically the nature of his excommunication (he was one of the "September 6"). He is now back in full fellowship of the Church.

It sounds like he might have been referring to the Temple Dedicatory prayer we're discussing on this thread:

"for out of Zion shall go forth the law" - Isaiah 2 It's the Constitution, (from temple dedicatory prayer)

But I doubt he would have been fired for quoting prophets. Likely, there was something else involved.

Could it have been David P. Wright? Few people in the world understand Isaiah better than he does, and BYU fired him.

I had the honor of meeting him a few years ago, and he said he was fired from BYU for not being orthodox enough in his testimony. Although he was trying shield his students from his personal beliefs that contradicted LDS dogma, BYU felt that his unorthodoxy was still being sensed by students, so they let him go.

http://www.lds-mormon.com/dpw.shtml

David P. Wright, who is a fine scholar, was not fired from BYU. However, he was not given permanent status either. In the event, BYU gave him an excellent letter of recommendation, and he quickly obtained a wonderful post at Brandeis, where he is much happier. He and his wife have explained that and some other matters in detail, which an online search will disclose.

Could it have been David P. Wright? Few people in the world understand Isaiah better than he does, and BYU fired him.

I had the honor of meeting him a few years ago, and he said he was fired from BYU for not being orthodox enough in his testimony. Although he was trying shield his students from his personal beliefs that contradicted LDS dogma, BYU felt that his unorthodoxy was still being sensed by students, so they let him go.

http://www.lds-mormon.com/dpw.shtml

It did not take long for the shields to go down. He soon published Sunstone "Historical Criticism: A Necessary Element in the Search for Religious Truth" Sunstone 16/2 (September 1992): 28

Archived