FYI: New Column (By Yours Truly)

Daniel Peterson

Really? I'll have to look in over at Free Republic!

How can that be?! Apparently Beck does not subscribe to Mesoamerica as the probable setting for the Book of Mormon!

Note: this is a sarcastic statement not addressed to Dr. Peterson so much as some critics.

LOL.

That's a secondary matter, of course.

I don't subscribe to the "Heartland Model" of Book of Mormon geography, as advocated by Rod Meldrum and Bruce H. Porter and Wayne May -- I actually think that they're seriously mistaken -- but the precise GPS co

Since virtually anyone can reasonably claim the appellation, "Christian" is too broad a term to have much meaning in any relevant sense. Some christians are obviously part of the body of Christ and others are not and belong to the church of the Devil. Since the LDS Church is the body of Christ, it is more meaningful to compare one's beliefs and actions with the doctrines of that Church.

As we go down the list, we find that Harry Reid is significantly out of alignment with the body of Christ and Glenn Beck is at least fairly close. Mitt Romney is in between the two but closer to Beck. Anyone can say they believe in Christ and accept his Atonement, but do they actually believe and practice the doctrines and truths Christ has given us? If they don't, they don't really accept or believe in Christ.

Dang. I would like to read the responses at freerepublic.com (to this article and to at least one other of mine that, to my surprise, I found listed for there), but I can't seem to access the site. My computer keeps "loading" and then times out.

I'm having no other computer problems. Has anybody else tried to access freerepublic.com? Is it their problem or mine?

Since virtually anyone can reasonably claim the appellation,

Jews, Muslims, Sikhs, Buddhists, Hindus, Confucianists, Baha

Do not -- DO NOT -- make this thread political.

Do not attempt to hijack this thread and destroy it.

I merely mentioned the names YOU brought up and answered in disagreement with YOUR article about their christianity (to the effect that such comparisons are meaningless). My response was no more or less political than your OP.

I merely mentioned the names YOU brought up and answered in disagreement with YOUR article about their christianity (to the effect that such comparisons are meaningless). My response was no more or less political than your OP.

My opening post wasn't political at all. In fact, it was deliberately, consciously, and expressly apolitical: Although I have very strong political views, I didn't distinguish the Christianity of Mr. Beck from that of myself, Gov. Romney, or Sen. Reid.

If you insist on politicizing this thread, I will do something that I'm often accused of, but have very rarely (if, indeed, ever) done: I will report your post(s) to the moderators. Fair warning.

My opening post wasn't political at all.

Then my response was not political either. I simply responded directly to the issue and the names you raised in your OP, OP title, and your article which you linked to in your OP.

Although I have very strong political views, I didn't distinguish the Christianity of Mr. Beck from that of myself, Gov. Romney, or Sen. Reid.

And this is what I was responding to. I do distinguish in nuanced fashion between the christianity of those figures and everyone else and I exclude not myself. I do disagree with the notion that all those who believe in Christ are equally christian. I am allowed to express disagreement last I checked. I would be happy to tell you specifically why I so disagree if such conversation were allowed. Until then, I've been expressing it in more general gospel language.

If you insist on politicizing this thread, I will do something that I'm often accused of, but have very rarely (if, indeed, ever) done: I will report your post(s) to the moderators. Fair warning.

If you do that, then I will be forced to change my opinion about your ability to have a fair and equal discussion. Do not try to foist politics off on me when all I did was to disagree with your opinion and mention the same political figures you did.

Then my response was not political either.

You distinguished between Beck and Reid on the basis of differences in their political positions, not on the basis of any difference in their adherence to the basic principles of the Apostles' Creed.

I do distinguish in nuanced fashion between the christianity of those figures and everyone else and I exclude not myself. I do disagree with the notion that all those who believe in Christ are equally christian. I am allow to express disagreement last I checked.

You're doing so on the basis of political ideas, not on the basis of theology.

My column and this thread are about theology, not about politics.

I would be happy to tell you specifically why I so disagree if such conversation were allowed.

It isn't. As you're well aware, this board doesn't tolerate political threads.

I didn't make the rules.

If you do that, then I will be forced to change my opinion about your ability to have a fair and equal discussion. Do not try to foist politics of on me when all I did was to disagree with your opinion and mention the same political figures you did.

Conclude whatever you like.

Just don't scuttle this thread that I launched. I've asked you respectfully to cease and desist.

Then my response was not political either.
You distinguished between Beck and Reid on the basis of differences in their political positions, not on the basis of any difference in their adherence to the basic principles of the Apostles' Creed.

Yet there is a reason why you mentioned these political figures, that is to say, their christianity is the same. The problem with that is how do you measure and judge christianity? We must judge those things as the scriptures say and the only way to do so is to look at behavior. All I did was give an example of such without saying anything about a particular political stance.

I would be happy to tell you specifically why I so disagree if such conversation were allowed.
It isn't. As you're well aware, this board doesn't tolerate political threads.

I didn't make the rules.

I actually read and follow the rules which still say such threads are allowed if they are LDS related. However, since this isn't a political thread, I have not taken politics to any level greater than you have.

If you do that, then I will be forced to change my opinion about your ability to have a fair and equal discussion. Do not try to foist politics of on me when all I did was to disagree with your opinion and mention the same political figures you did.

Conclude whatever you like.

Just don't scuttle this thread that I launched. I've asked you respectfully to cease and desist.

Cease and desist what?

Since virtually anyone can reasonably claim the appellation, "Christian" is too broad a term to have much meaning in any relevant sense. Some christians are obviously part of the body of Christ and others are not and belong to the church of the Devil. Since the LDS Church is the body of Christ, it is more meaningful to compare one's beliefs and actions with the doctrines of that Church.

As we go down the list, we find that Harry Reid is significantly out of alignment with the body of Christ and Glenn Beck is at least fairly close. Mitt Romney is in between the two but closer to Beck. Anyone can say they believe in Christ and accept his Atonement, but do they actually believe and practice the doctrines and truths Christ has given us? If they don't, they don't really accept or believe in Christ.

Obnoxious.

Yet there is a reason why you mentioned these political figures, that is to say, their christianity is the same.

I don't believe anyone said anything about "same." I believe the point was they each ascribe to certain core Christian principles. There's a difference.

Obnoxious.

How so? Why isn't level and belief and adherence to doctrine a measure of "christianity"?

Yet there is a reason why you mentioned these political figures, that is to say, their christianity is the same.
I don't believe anyone said anything about "same."

Agreement with the same Creed does not mean "same"?

I believe the point was they each ascribe to certain core Christian principles. There's a difference.

Then you accept that there are differences in levels of belief and practice?

I mentioned Glenn Beck because the question of whether he's a Christian or not -- and of what difference the answer makes -- has been a major topic of discussion, nationwide, since his Washington Mall revival.

I also mentioned myself.

Glenn Beck furnished a hook upon which to hang the column. He was, quite obviously, not the actual topic of the column -- any more than I myself was.

I mentioned Mitt Romney because similar questions were and are asked about him.

I mentioned Harry Reid to balance Mitt Romney and Glenn Beck.

The problem with that is how do you measure and judge christianity?

There are various ways.

We must judge those things as the scriptures say and the only way to do so is to look at behavior.

I've been hearing all morning from Christians© writing to me about "the biblical definition of 'Christian.'" But, oddly, they never cite it.

I suspect it's in either 3 Corinthians or somewhere in Acts 67, but I haven't actually located it yet.

Likewise, I'm skeptical of the claim that "the only way to [measure and judge (somebody's) Christianity] is to look at [his or her] behavior." That's an important standard, surely, but not the only one. There are very righteous Buddhists and adulterous, thieving Christians.

All I did was give an example of such without saying anything about a particular political stance.

Right.

Sure.

In any event, I think it the work of the devil to sow discord within the Kingdom over politics. My political views are extremely strong -- no less firmly held than yours, I expect, and (more or less) on your side of the spectrum -- but I do not allow them to sunder my fellowship with the Saints, and I will object to that whenever I see it. Brother Reid is a fellow Saint, to the best of my knowledge, just as Brother Romney and Brother Beck are.

In any event, I won't have such division on this thread, which I started. It is not about politics.

I'm having no other computer problems. Has anybody else tried to access freerepublic.com? Is it their problem or mine?

Here's a handy link you can use any time to check if a website is down, or if it is just you. It is called, conveniently, "Down For Everyone Or Just Me":

http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

(If you forget the link you can always google "down for everyone" and it will take you to it post haste!)

Then my response was not political either. I simply responded directly to the issue and the names you raised in your OP, OP title, and your article which you linked to in your OP.

Political positions are religious positions to BC. And thus we see.

I mentioned Glenn Beck because the question of whether he's a Christian or not -- and of what difference the answer makes -- has been a major topic of discussion, nationwide, since his Washington Mall revival.

I also mentioned myself.

Glenn Beck furnished a hook upon which to hang the column. He was, quite obviously, not the actual topic of the column -- any more than I myself was.

I mentioned Mitt Romney because similar questions were and are asked about him.

I mentioned Harry Reid to balance Mitt Romney and Glenn Beck.

Indeed. You mean to say they are all Christians. I believe they are all Christians. I use a capital C here to emphasize that they are members of THE body of Christ. But you seem to imply that they are equally Christian which of course I do disagree.

The problem with that is how do you measure and judge christianity?
There are various ways.

heh...Feel free to elucidate on a few.

We must judge those things as the scriptures say and the only way to do so is to look at behavior.
I've been hearing all morning from Christians

Dang. I would like to read the responses at freerepublic.com (to this article and to at least one other of mine that, to my surprise, I found listed for there), but I can't seem to access the site. My computer keeps "loading" and then times out.

It keeps timing out on me also.

Agreement with the same Creed does not mean "same"?

Uhh...not if by "same" you mean "identical," no.

Then you accept that there are differences in levels of belief and practice?

Insomuch as there is variation among individual human beings, yes. Nevertheless, I don't see why you insist on categorizing these people along some spectrum of "Christianity" given the actual topic at hand, which is that all the aforementioned individuals are, in fact, Christian.

Your argument is akin to that made by certain more militant members of the Black community who like to criticize certain celebrities of African descent for not being "Black enough" for their liking. It strikes me as very presumptuous and unnecessarily divisive.

Archived