Book of Mormon Anachronism list.

StuddleyG

This topic was brought up in the "young Joseph Smith" thread. An argument was made that the BOM has many anachronisms and another argument was made that the list of anachronisms is slowly shrinking. I am curious to know what that list looks like at the present. Exactly how many things are still yet to be found if you don't count loan shifting?

This topic was brought up in the "young Joseph Smith" thread. An argument was made that the BOM has many anachronisms and another argument was made that the list of anachronisms is slowly shrinking. I am curious to know what that list looks like at the present. Exactly how many things are still yet to be found if you don't count loan shifting?

I think there was a thread about that a few weeks ago about some guy presenting this kind of stuff with lots of red and green boxes. Unfortunately, the pictures were very unclear but maybe whoever posted it can provide the link to the presentation.

That being said, in the spirit of a thread I have been participating in:

1. horsea

2. chariots

What would also be interesting would be a list of apologetic arguments as to why the anachronisms really aren't anachronisms. I submit:

1. Just because no evidence was found, that doesn't mean it didn't happen/exist

2. When Mormon used anachronistic terms or ideas, really meant something else (or Joseph misinterpreted it).

Edited for clarity and to remove some needless sarcasm (isn't it always... can't help myself sometimes).

I think there was a thread about that a few weeks ago about some guy presenting this kind of stuff with lots of red and green boxes. Unfortunately, the pictures were very unclear but maybe whoever posted it can provide the link to the presentation.

This refers to a presentation by John Clark at the Joseph Smith Symposium at the Library of Congress in 2005. This led to this publication:

https://byustudies.byu.edu/showTitle.aspx?title=7142

Paradigm choice, according to Kuhn, always involves deciding which problems are more significant to have solved. Anyone can tilt a balance scale in any desired direction by putting weights, no matter how inconsequential, on only one side. Kuhn also talks about the same information can be viewed from within a paradigm as "a puzzle," or outside the paradigm as a "counter-instance." For a long time, starting with Alexander Campbell, the pre-Christian Christianity was seen as a counter-instance. I saw it as a puzzle, from which vantage, I recognized Barker's work as a solution.

Kevin Christensen

Pittsburgh, PA

Archived