Seriously No Politics ×

Jesus said:

zerinus

Matthew 8
:

21 And another of his disciples said unto him, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.

22 But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.

How could Jesus have been so insensitive and unkind? What do you think about what He said?

Because Jesus expects us to make him Lord, not just accept him as Saviour. Read Ephesians 2:10 and other like-texts.

Because Jesus expects us to make him Lord, not just accept him as Saviour. Read Ephesians 2:10 and other like-texts.

Thanks. But couldn't He have been a bit more sensitive to the emotional needs of a disciple whose dad had just kicked the bucket?

It is an example of calling one to discipleship, even when one has more pressing (temporal) needs, like burying one's family members. After all, in the eternal scheme of things, we will be judged according to our works in light of our acceptance of Christ (John 5; 2 Corinthians 5), and those who deny Christ, Christ will deny them to the Father.

Just some quick thoughts on it.

It is an example of calling one to discipleship, even when one has more pressing (temporal) needs, like burying one's family members. After all, in the eternal scheme of things, we will be judged according to our works in light of our acceptance of Christ (John 5; 2 Corinthians 5), and those who deny Christ, Christ will deny them to the Father.

Just some quick thoughts on it.

Well the verse suggests that the guy was already a disciple. I am wondering about something else though. Do you think if Jesus had said to him: "Okay, go and bury your dead, and them come and follow me," that He would have been a bit hypocritical? What is a good definition of hypocrisy?

I suggest that you withdraw your comments immediately and apologize or I must ask the mods to intervene.

I view it as being relevant. You're asking if Jesus was being cruel and insensitive in the seeming flippant way he handled a disciple who was grieving due to a death in the family. Seeing as you recently were banned from a thread for a seeming cruel and insensitive and flippant way that you handled an individual who just experienced a death in the family, it seems to me a logical way to measure your views and motivations on the subject.

If that has nothing to do with it, please just say so.

I suggest that you withdraw your comments immediately and apologize or I must ask the mods to intervene.

What's wrong with his comment? Knowing the motivation behind questions asked is something that is often requested here on the boards.

I view it as being relevant. You're asking if Jesus was being cruel and insensitive in the seeming flippant way he handled a disciple who was grieving due to a death in the family. Seeing as you recently were banned from a thread for a seeming cruel and insensitive and flippant way that you handled an individual who just experienced a death in the family, it seems to me a logical way to measure your views and motivations on the subject.

If that has nothing to do with it, please just say so.

I find your post to be insulting, abusive, and full of unsavory innuendo. I suggest that you do the decent thing, acknowledge your error, withdraw your comment, and apologize.

Matthew 8
:

21 And another of his disciples said unto him, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.

How could Jesus have been so insensitive and unkind? What do you think about what He said?

Maybe this will help:

Luke 14:

16 Then said he unto him, A certain man made a great supper, and bade many:

17 And sent his servant at supper time to say to them that were bidden, Come; for all things are now ready.

18 And they all with one consent began to make excuse. The first said unto him, I have bought a piece of ground, and I must needs go and see it: I pray thee have me excused.

19 And another said, I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to prove them: I pray thee have me excused.

20 And another said, I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.

Now look at Luke 9:

57 And it came to pass, that, as they went in the way, a certain man said unto him, Lord, I will follow thee whithersoever thou goest.

58 And Jesus said unto him, Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head.

59 And he said unto another, Follow me. But he said, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.

60 Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God.

61 And another also said, Lord, I will follow thee; but let me first go bid them farewell, which are at home at my house.

62 And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

Could the parable in Luke 14 be addressing those in Luke 9? Is it not just possible that there were some excuse making there? Contrast this to the first who said simply "I will follow thee" and to Peter, James, and John who "straightaway left their nets" which was their livelihood. No excuses.

Glenn

What's wrong with his comment? Knowing the motivation behind questions asked is something that is often requested here on the boards.

The Motivation I should have thought becomes clear during the course of the discussion. How many times do you start off by asking for the "motivation" when replying to a thread? Why don't you start by answering the OP instead?

The Motivation I should have thought becomes clear during the course of the discussion. How many times do you start off by asking for the "motivation" when replying to a thread? Why don't you start by answering the OP instead?

If i'm not sure, i usually request to know the motivation behind a question before i answer it. Some motivations aren't worth the time or effort.

Nack's concerns seem perfectly reasonable, especially given his knowledge of your previous statements/banning and the wording of the OP. There is no reason for him to apologize.

Maybe this will help:

Luke 14:

16 Then said he unto him, A certain man made a great supper, and bade many:

17 And sent his servant at supper time to say to them that were bidden, Come; for all things are now ready.

18 And they all with one consent began to make excuse. The first said unto him, I have bought a piece of ground, and I must needs go and see it: I pray thee have me excused.

19 And another said, I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to prove them: I pray thee have me excused.

20 And another said, I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.

Now look at Luke 9:

57 And it came to pass, that, as they went in the way, a certain man said unto him, Lord, I will follow thee whithersoever thou goest.

58 And Jesus said unto him, Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head.

59 And he said unto another, Follow me. But he said, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.

60 Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God.

61 And another also said, Lord, I will follow thee; but let me first go bid them farewell, which are at home at my house.

62 And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

Could the parable in Luke 14 be addressing those in Luke 9? Is it not just possible that there were some excuse making there?

Thank you. Those are excellent comments and observations. It shows good insight in to the scriptures. I think that Jesus

If i'm not sure, i usually request to know the motivation behind a question before i answer it. Some motivations aren't worth the time or effort.

Nack's concerns seem perfectly reasonable, especially given his knowledge of your previous statements/banning and the wording of the OP. There is no reason for him to apologize.

Then I have nothing further to say to you. If you have something constructive to say in reply to the OP, say it; if not, then I have no further interest in your replies.

Then I have nothing further to say to you. If you have something constructive to say in reply to the OP, say it; if not, then I have no further interest in your replies.

I'm not really sad about that.

I am disappointed that you have refused to answer Nack's questions but it's not surprising.

Matthew 8
:

In response to the OP-Jesus was being neither insensitive nor unkind.

In response to the OP-Jesus was being neither insensitive nor unkind.

I agree. It was, however, a strong lesson illustrating the strong devotion that would be required of those in the cause of the kingdom. Good, better, and best you might say. Truly Following Christ is best...and rarely convenient.

I agree. It was, however, a strong lesson illustrating the strong devotion that would be required of those in the cause of the kingdom. Good, better, and best you might say. Truly Following Christ is best...and rarely convenient.

And more, i believe that Jesus's words were spoken not with love but in love-He truly loved the man He was saying them to and said them because He truly wanted what was best for the man. There was no pride, arrogance, or self-righteousness in the response-things that would be present if the words had been unkind or insenstive.

I'm not really sad about that.

That makes two of us then, because neither do I.

I am disappointed that you have refused to answer Nack's questions but it's not surprising.

Nack does not deserve any reply from me at all, unless he withdraws his abusive and insulting post, and apologizes to me.

That makes two of us then, because neither do I.

Nack does not deserve any reply from me at all, unless he withdraws his abusive and insulting post, and apologizes to me.

At least be true to your word and don't respond when you say you aren't going to respond. :P

Archived