Seriously No Politics ×

John Gee's FAIR Conference Presentation

William Schryver

John Gee will not be present at the FAIR conference this year. He has an obligation that conflicts with the conference, and will not be in town. He has requested, and I have agreed, to deliver his address for him.

His address is rather short. It will require me about 15 minutes to deliver it--at most. This is good from the standpoint that my address is now right around 50 minutes, which would have precluded much, if any, Q&A afterwards. Since there will obviously be no Q&A after John's address, I will therefore be commencing my address immediately after delivering John's, which will then permit Q&A after mine.

Therefore, be forewarned that I will be starting at 1:00pm rather than 1:30pm as listed in the schedule.

-IMPORTANT NOTICE-

be forewarned that I will be starting at 1:00pm rather than 1:30pm as listed in the schedule.

As one of the privileged few who saw the preview of Will's presentation, I'm excited to see it again this week. Will, is it possible, with the extra time on your plate, that you can add some of the material that you had to edit out to fit in the 50 minutes allotted?

As one of the privileged few who saw the preview of Will's presentation, I'm excited to see it again this week. Will, is it possible, with the extra time on your plate, that you can add some of the material that you had to edit out to fit in the 50 minutes allotted?

As a matter of fact, I already have. I am going through the script and making final "touch-ups" at this very moment. There are now 180 slides! :P

So, be forewarned to buckle up and hold on tightly--I won't be slowing down for the curves!

A good friend of mine and I were having a conversation last week. I told him the Gee was going to be at the conference. He said that Gee would never show in a million years. No, I insisted, this is a "big thing" with the Schryver presentation and all. He insisted and we placed a bet. I guess I lost 5 dollars.

Will FAIR have plenty of medical personnel on hand to treat those who may faint and/or suffer seizures as a result of over-excited hyperventilating?

We wouldn't want to relive those unfortunate episodes from the first Beatles tour.

A good friend of mine and I were having a conversation last week. I told him the Gee was going to be at the conference. He said that Gee would never show in a million years. No, I insisted, this is a "big thing" with the Schryver presentation and all. He insisted and we placed a bet. I guess I lost 5 dollars.

I'm afraid I don't understand why he thought John would "never show in a million years."

I've known for several weeks that John would not be there, and that I might be delivering his address, or otherwise filming a video version of it to be played at the conference. John has a conference he must attend back east, otherwise he would be at the FAIR conference.

So, again, I'm quite curious, do you know why your friend was so confident that John "would never show in a million years?" I find that a very strange prediction to make.

Will FAIR have plenty of medical personnel on hand to treat those who may faint and/or suffer seizures as a result of over-excited hyperventilating?

We wouldn't want to relive those unfortunate episodes from the first Beatles tour.

My advice to you, Andrew, would be to bring a little hand-held mirror that you can use to watch me in the reflection. Otherwise, I have some concern that you might lose control of yourself, rush the stage, and start trying to cut locks of my hair (of which there are specimens in excess of 18").

(Incidentally, I worked at both Pineae and Lagoon when I was a kid growing up in Farmington.)

I sense a hidden motive. One that reflects negatively on Mopologetics. Gee plainly doesn't want to be associated with Schryver. That's why he's hiding out. That's why he won't be there. That's why he's asked somebody else to read his paper for him.

No. Wait a minute. Something's wrong.

Aieeeeeeeeee! The conspiracy is even more sinister and devious than I had imagined!

I had no idea you were even planning to attend.

Don't worry. There will be kind people at the conference who will look after your needs, should it come to a psycho-medical crisis.

You shouldn't take this so hard anyway, though.

My advice to you, Andrew, would be to bring a little hand-held mirror that you can use to watch me in the reflection. Otherwise, I have some concern that you might lose control of yourself, rush the stage, and start trying to cut locks of my hair (of which there are specimens in excess of 18").

I have a large bottle of valium, which I'm counting on to keep myself under control.

(Incidentally, I worked at both Pineae and Lagoon when I was a kid growing up in Farmington.)

Holy crap! We probably knew each other! Which did you like best, shoveling or tamping on the tree-planting line at Pineae? What was the name of that big fat guy in overalls who yelled at everybody, "You'll be the first kid we fire if you don't shovel faster!" (I hope you're not related to him.)

I worked at Lagoon for several days before I discovered they were only paying me $1.50/hour. It was just like Napoleon Dynamite (the second funniest movie of all time).

I believe the arguement was that Gee does not like to engage directly a la the written exam to prove your worth to discuss Egyptian related apologetics.

I have a large bottle of valium, which I'm counting on to keep myself under control.

Holy crap! We probably knew each other! Which did you like best, shoveling or tamping on the tree-planting line at Pineae? What was the name of that big fat guy in overalls who yelled at everybody, "You'll be the first kid we fire if you don't shovel faster!" (I hope you're not related to him.)

I worked at Lagoon for several days before I discovered they were only paying me $1.50/hour. It was just like Napoleon Dynamite (the second funniest movie of all time).

I worked at Pineae for a grand total of one day! It was a slave labor operation.

On the other hand, I worked at Lagoon for two summers--mostly for the chicks. :P

But I found I could make more money playing Fascination, redeeming coupons for $1.50 in ride tickets, selling the ride tickets for $1.00 on the midway, then playing some more. We (my brothers and I) were Fascination fanatics, and very, very good at it. We basically lived at Lagoon during the summers from the time I was 8 or 9 until I was 17 or so; from 10:00am to about 10:00pm. Everyday! We were basically unsupervised street urchins, when it came right down to it. (What was my mother thinking?!!!).

On the other hand, we rarely spent a day at Lagoon that we didn't make a profit. Not much. Maybe $10 - $20 a day, but we'd also spend quite a bit on burgers, fries, and drinks, plus go on all the rides or do anything else we wanted. So we probably grossed about $40-$50 to take home $10. I've actually started a screenplay about my experiences at Lagoon as a child. Lagoon was also the place for rock bands in the late 60s and early 70s. The Doors, Creedence Clearwater Revival, the Rolling Stones, Janis Joplin ... the list goes on and on.

Oh, those were the days ... I can't believe I even lived to tell the tale.

I believe the arguement was that Gee does not like to engage directly a la the written exam to prove your worth to discuss Egyptian related apologetics.

???

Non sequitur alert!

What does this even mean in respect to my question as to why he wouldn't show up for his own presentation?

Smells like a back-pedal to me.

I'm simply baffled by the notion that John Gee would seek to avoid being in the same hall with Will Schryver, or whatever the heck it is that somebody was supposedly speculating about.

I've known John for, oh, something on the order of twenty-five years, and this makes precisely zero sense to me.

I wasn't referring above to John Gee's unwillingness to work with Will, but his apparent reticence to engage publicly in the apologetic debate.

However, my sentence was worded clunkily. I meant to say that his test was an example of his reticence.

I worked at Pineae for a grand total of one day! It was a slave labor operation.

On the other hand, I worked at Lagoon for two summers--mostly for the chicks. :P

But I found I could make more money playing Fascination, redeeming coupons for $1.50 in ride tickets, selling the ride tickets for $1.00 on the midway, then playing some more. We (my brothers and I) were Fascination fanatics, and very, very good at it. We basically lived at Lagoon during the summers from the time I was 8 or 9 until I was 17 or so; from 10:00am to about 10:00pm. Everyday! We were basically unsupervised street urchins, when it came right down to it. (What was my mother thinking?!!!).

On the other hand, we rarely spent a day at Lagoon that we didn't make a profit. Not much. Maybe $10 - $20 a day, but we'd also spend quite a bit on burgers, fries, and drinks, plus go on all the rides or do anything else we wanted. So we probably grossed about $40-$50 to take home $10. I've actually started a screenplay about my experiences at Lagoon as a child. Lagoon was also the place for rock bands in the late 60s and early 70s. The Doors, Creedence Clearwater Revival, the Rolling Stones, Janis Joplin ... the list goes on and on.

Oh, those were the days ... I can't believe I even lived to tell the tale.

Brings tears to my eyes.

I don't know if I can match that, but a few years after the World's Fair in Seattle, I worked several summers operating rides at the amusement park at the fair location--around the Space Needle. And, while I was too immature at the time to take full advantage of the "chick" situation (I was a late bloomer), I have the distinct honor of working the bumper cars where the Seattle race-riots of the late 60's broke out--though, luckily, I happened to be off the day that it occured (if I recall correctly, I was attending the funeral of a co-worker who had fallen to his death while checking out the upper reaches of the Wild Mouse ride).

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Archived