Seriously No Politics ×

New Church Ad Campaign

Daniel Peterson

Ads based on the following materials are being shown in nine U.S. markets (Minneapolis/St. Paul, Jacksonville, St. Louis, Rochester, Colorado Springs, Tucson, Baton Rouge, Pittsburgh, and Oklahoma City) between now and the end of 2010:

http://mormon.org/me/14DH-eng

I'm very pleased at this approach and at this new campaign. I think the videos are quite well done, and that they convey important points.

Ads based on the following materials are being shown in nine U.S. markets (Minneapolis/St. Paul, Jacksonville, St. Louis, Rochester, Colorado Springs, Tucson, Baton Rouge, Pittsburgh, and Oklahoma City) between now and the end of 2010:

http://mormon.org/me/14DH-eng

I'm very pleased at this approach and at this new campaign. I think the videos are quite well done, and that they convey important points.

A certain other group has already denounced it as a corporate advertising sham to promote the product of Mormonism. But I would assume that group isn't the audience, but those who are genuinely open to learning more.

Personally I like the advertisements myself. It shows how diverse the members are.

JMS

My son Tadeusz Gui and I watched 6 or 7 of them. Two thumbs up from the Gui clan. Much better than

many of the previous ad campaigns, but some still have the "sappy" background music. IMO, leave the

music out or make it less syrupy.

Bernard

My son Tadeusz Gui and I watched 6 or 7 of them. Two thumbs up from the Gui clan. Much better than

many of the previous ad campaigns, but some still have the "sappy" background music. IMO, leave the

music out or make it less syrupy.

Elves like syrup.

82941__elf_l.jpg

The videos are really well done.

I happen to read the "answers" on polygamy on the new Mormon.org and there is a lot of bad apologetics.

http://Mormon.org/faq/plural-marriage/

Some from the page.

In the early days of the Church, there were more women than men. In the harsh frontier times, survival for single women was difficult. I believe the Lord chooses times when he allows, or commands, His people to have polygamy, and the 19th century was one of those times.
The righteous women in the Church outnumber the righteous men. That is another one of those male-female inequalities. This was especially true in the early days of the Church. Plural Marriage permitted every righteous women to be the wife of a righteous man and then to raise up a righteous family. The problem is not so severe nowadays.
It was from God's order out of necessity to take care of many women who were widowed with children and those who were alone. The church abolished it a century ago and whoever enters into it now is surely gets excommunication.

and many others.

They really need to do a better job of filtering out incorrect explanations.

The videos are really well done.

I happen to read the "answers" on polygamy on the new Mormon.org and there is a lot of bad apologetics.

http://Mormon.org/faq/plural-marriage/

Some from the page.

and many others.

They really need to do a better job of filtering out incorrect explanations.

I clicked on the link that you posted to Mormon.org and noticed that the official Church explanation was posted first (which I thought was a really good explanation, by the way). Afterwards were the individual members

in a article i read about the site it was stated that statement such as "The LDS Church ... ", are essentially "correlated" meaning is the statement is deemed untrue the person who posted it would be asked to correct it. however if a post was in the form of "I believe" then the post would be left to stand as that individuals personal belief.

I did not realize the site had such subjects for various people to comment on.

I watched the video about Josh Maready. Near the end he says, "I don't think we are here to be robots. I don't think we are here to be chess pieces. I think God gave us individuality for a reason. He wants us to be who we are, and we need to take those unique aspects of our lives and make this church us."

At the end of the clip he says that he is a photographer. I was going to provide a link to his website, but I'm sure that directing you to semi-nude pictures might get me banned. I don't know why Josh Maready was chosen to represent the church.

I watched the video about Josh Maready. Near the end he says, "I don't think we are here to be robots. I don't think we are here to be chess pieces. I think God gave us individuality for a reason. He wants us to be who we are, and we need to take those unique aspects of our lives and make this church us."

At the end of the clip he says that he is a photographer. I was going to provide a link to his website, but I'm sure that directing you to semi-nude pictures might get me banned. I don't know why Josh Maready was chosen to represent the church.

Are you certain it's the same Josh Maready?

From what I can tell, the Josh Maready in the video is the same Josh Maready who Thinking seems to be speaking of.

Supposing it is the the case, Josh's work includes some images that are strong PG-13 and would be considered sensual, racy, and perhaps offensive to some. (I seriously doubt a link to the site would get Thinking banned.) In fairness, I think there are several photos that would be considered inappropriate for posting on this religious discussion message board.

Surprising that Josh Maready is featured in an LDS testimonial video? Maybe not.

Perhaps the Church did not fully vet Brother Maready's professional work and would have made a different decsion had his work been factored. Or much more likely, the Church is not as judgemental or monolithic as our critics like to portray the Church to be. Maybe the Church does not consider posting Maready's video to be an endorsement of every aspect of his life. Perhaps he is a fine, upstanding Christian who lives the principles of the restored Gospel.

It might be that the LDS Church is a much bigger tent (more diverse, less judgemental, and not as controlling) than our critics like to imagine.

This is not to say that if a controversy is ginned up on the subject that the Church may back away. I seriously doubt that any such controversy would organically occur from Church members...rather it would start from posts and stories from non-LDS or disaffected members of the Church seeking to stir something up.

I think that Thinking's post speaks to subjective perceptions...or projections...of what constitutes a faithful Mormon within the body of the faith.

Six

Are you certain it's the same Josh Maready?

If you scroll through the portraits slide show on his website to which I did not provide a link, there are pictures of some skateboarders and bmx riders. Note the ramp in some of the pictures. In the following You Tube video, Josh Maready is shown riding his skateboard on the same ramp (WOODWARD). The roof of the structure is the same.

http://www.fuel.tv/woodwardcamp/videos/view/1038

What are the odds that on a photographer's website, 1/3 of the portraits in a slide show are of skateboarders or bmx riders who also happened to participate in the same Woodward Camp? Pretty good if the photographer is a skateboarder who is also at that camp.

Perhaps the Church did not fully vet Brother Maready's professional work and would have made a different decsion had his work been factored. Or much more likely, the Church is not as judgemental or monolithic as our critics like to portray the Church to be. Maybe the Church does not consider posting Maready's video to be an endorsement of every aspect of his life. Perhaps he is a fine, upstanding Christian who lives the principles of the restored Gospel.

My guess is they asked his bishop and his bishop said Brother Maready was good. The bishop may or may not know about the photos. The bishop might be liberal minded or stodgy and conservative.

It might be that the LDS Church is a much bigger tent (more diverse, less judgemental, and not as controlling) than our critics like to imagine.

I agree the Church is a big tent but each door has a different ticket-taker; a bishop or stake president who has subjective perceptions... or projections... or what constitutes a faithful Mormon. Semi-nude photos might be more troubling than drinking Pepsi.

I really like the guy. The line you quoted is what I found shocking about it--it seems like he is promoting a religion other than the one that teaches that the very purpose of life is to prove that you were willing to obey all of the commandments, turn off the natural man, become like a humble, submissive, obedient child, and follow the counsel of the brethren.

My guess is they asked his bishop and his bishop said Brother Maready was good. The bishop may or may not know about the photos. The bishop might be liberal minded or stodgy and conservative.
I agree the Church is a big tent but each door has a different ticket-taker; a bishop or stake president who has subjective perceptions... or projections... or what constitutes a faithful Mormon. Semi-nude photos might be more troubling than drinking Pepsi.

I'm not sure there is an easy-to-be-had assumption that Brother Maready was featured because of some flaw in the approval system. Both points suppprt the notion that the LDS Church is more diverse than our critics suppose (portray) us to be. We are not as controlling, judgemental, or as close-minded as some might think.

Recently, I was in a missionary training class. The trainer pointed out that when those who are not of our faith meet and get to know Mormons, their opinion of the LDS Church is significantly better. For all of our warts and personal idiosyncracies we Mormons are pretty good representatives of the faith. We are not perfect. Some are super-Mo's...but most of us are just regular folks. To know us is to...like us better.

In the end, I think that is the spirit and intent of the campaign. Introducing a wide range of Mormons to the world.

As I said, I think that objections to Brother Maready will come more from the critics and skeptics than from fellow Mormons.

By the way...are their any other critic/skeptic objections to any of the other video subjects? Or are a few Brother Maready's PG-13 pix the best the boo-birds have to object to?

Six

I really like the guy. The line you quoted is what I found shocking about it--it seems like he is promoting a religion other than the one that teaches that the very purpose of life is to prove that you were willing to obey all of the commandments, turn off the natural man, become like a humble, submissive, obedient child, and follow the counsel of the brethren.

It seems that we have a worldview difference here.

You appear to believe that obedience, humility, submissiveness, and etc., signify robotic conformity and monochrome group-think.

That doesn't appear to me to be the case. (As the videos themselves plainly witness.)

The line you quoted is what I found shocking about it--it seems like he is promoting a religion other than the one that teaches that the very purpose of life is to prove that you were willing to obey all of the commandments, turn off the natural man, become like a humble, submissive, obedient child, and follow the counsel of the brethren.

Analytics...I think you are reading way to much into that statement. I think that to God we are ALL unique sons and daughters. Our diversity makes the Church a wonderful place and adds many unique perspectives. Sure, we are all on a journey to the same great blessing, and there are universal principles that apply...but we all walk the journey in our own unique way.

Six

By the way...are their any other critic/skeptic objections to any of the other video subjects? Or are a few Brother Maready's PG-13 pix the best the boo-birds have to object to?

Josh Maready's video was the first one I viewed (the one to which DCP linked).

You appear to believe that obedience, humility, submissiveness, and etc., signify robotic conformity and monochrome group-think.

That doesn't appear to me to be the case. (As the videos themselves plainly witness.)

And, for that matter, as the testimonies on the long-since defunct Mormon Scholars Testify website illustrate.

Analytics...I think you are reading way to much into that statement. I think that to God we are ALL unique sons and daughters. Our diversity makes the Church a wonderful place and adds many unique perspectives. Sure, we are all on a journey to the same great blessing, and there are universal principles that apply...but we all walk the journey in our own unique way.

Six

Fair points.

What hit me about this is that when I was in high school, I had a neighbor was a lot like this guy in terms of hobbies, how he expressed himself, etc. He was inactive. As I did my priesthood duty of trying to reactivate him, I got exasperated and asked him why he didn

Josh Maready's video was the first one I viewed (the one to which DCP linked).

Fair enough.

I am curious. If this was the "first one" you viewed. Which others did you view? Did you do any internet profiling on of any of the other video subjects? (Sort of oppositional research?) Do you have issues to raise with any of the others?

Six

The church does in fact tolerate a fair amount of diversity in the membership. But wear the wrong colored shirt to church, and your opportunities of getting leadership and speaking opportunities might be limited.

i have worn a blue shirt, kakis, black belt, WHITE SOCKS, BROWN SHOES, to my ward for since I moved in. Last week I spoke. I wore the same outfit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as for person in the ad, and the website alleged to be his, I think many hear are being entirely harsh. The photos do not depict nudity - a pg movie is permitted to have "brief nudity" (see mpaa movie ratings). Anyway, I hope that person does not come here and see his "fellow" saints disparaging him.

Archived