Seriously No Politics ×

Has Jesus always been a God?

Rob Bowman

If you are LDS, I would like your answer to this question. Has Jesus always been a God, or did he become a God? Feel free to offer any support for your view, if you like.

By "always" I mean everlastingly from all eternity, with no beginning to his status or nature as a God.

As far as we're concerned, or IOW from our vantage point, yes. He has always been part of the Godhead to us.

Sorry, I know my answer is vague. But the doctrine of what you're really looking for, is vague.

The correct answer is Yes. Which is also true of His Father. And which is also true of you and me who are the children of God and heirs of God and joint-heirs with Christ inasmuch as we put off the natural man and put on the image of God and become one with Him. :P

- SlackTime

If you are LDS, I would like your answer to this question. Has Jesus always been a God, or did he become a God? Feel free to offer any support for your view, if you like.

By "always" I mean everlastingly from all eternity, with no beginning to his status or nature as a God.

If you are shown it will you retract your false claim?

As posted in the other thread:

From Jesus The Christ, by Talmage, still part of the essential Missionary Library, in the chapter The Antemortal Godship of Christ:

We claim scriptural authority for the assertion that Jesus Christ was and is God the Creator, the God who revealed Himself to Adam, Enoch, and all the antediluvial patriarchs and prophets down to Noah; the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob; the God of Israel as a united people, and the God of Ephraim and Judah after the disruption of the Hebrew nation; the God who made Himself known to the prophets from Moses to Malachi; the God of the Old Testament record; and the God of the Nephites. We affirm that Jesus Christ was and is Jehovah, the Eternal One.We claim scriptural authority for the assertion that Jesus Christ was and is God the Creator, the God who revealed Himself to Adam, Enoch, and all the antediluvial patriarchs and prophets down to Noah; the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob; the God of Israel as a united people, and the God of Ephraim and Judah after the disruption of the Hebrew nation; the God who made Himself known to the prophets from Moses to Malachi; the God of the Old Testament record; and the God of the Nephites. We affirm that Jesus Christ was and is Jehovah, the Eternal One.

From the Title page of the Book of Mormon:

And also to the convincing of the Jew and Gentile that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God, manifesting himself unto all nations

I am not familiar with any references stating that there was a time prior to this when Jesus did not have the status of God. I only know of referencing affirming his Eternal Godhood.

I am not aware of a single quote from an LDS leader that states that Christ was not always God or divine. In LDS thought he has always be a God.

The word "Always" (as found in the title of this thread)imposes our definitions and understanding of time and temporal limitions on a subject that by it's very definition (ie Godhood) transcends our mortal and temporal realm.

As such, the question is impossible to answer.

That being said... In all of our temporal existance, Jesus is God. To speculate outside of our timeline is like asking what the laws of physics are outside of our universe.

Before he comes forth with it, I'm quite familiar with Joseph's statement:

"If a man gets a fullness of the priesthood of God he has to get it in the same way that Jesus Christ obtained it, and that was by keeping all the commandments and obeying all the ordinances of the house of the Lord.

Rob, in another thread said,

"I believe that Jesus has always been God, with no beginning of his deity. These are truths about Jesus that we orthodox Christians have and that the LDS Church does not."

When asked to back that up with a CFR, he dodged.

Rob seems to get his skewed version of LDS doctrine from his quote mining operation rather than from LDS canon.

I suspect that is the reason he has such difficulty with accurately representing LDS doctrine.

What's a God?

Was God "always" God before he created time?

Before there was time, was there an "always"?

Don't blow this off- I promise to keep nagging you until you answer. This is the answer to your question. We have teachings about things you don't even dream of.

Yes, unequivocally, just as his Father has always been God. (Not "a" God- the term is a collective noun referring to the Godhead- three persons, one God- get it?)

Jesus is not God the Father.

Jesus has a "Father and God"

Rob, in another thread said,

"I believe that Jesus has always been God, with no beginning of his deity. These are truths about Jesus that we orthodox Christians have and that the LDS Church does not."

When asked to back that up with a CFR, he dodged.

Rob seems to get his skewed version of LDS doctrine from his quote mining operation rather than from LDS canon.

I suspect that is the reason he has such difficulty with accurately representing LDS doctrine.

It's pretty clear Rob made a false assumption, then when he was asked to substantiate it he hoped a Mormon would bail him out by providing some quote or something saying Jesus had not always been God. :P

If Christ was a "spirit child born" then it implies there was a time when Christ did not exist, and did not exist as God.

Actually it doesn't. We existed prior to this spirit birth as intelligences as did Jesus.

Depending on what you mean by 'God,' no, I don't believe he has. I believe there was a period when Jesus was not a God in the same sense that he is now.

The crucial distinction, which also answers for the unofficial statements Rob provided in the thread.

The crucial distinction, which also answers for the unofficial statements Rob provided in the thread.

I was careful to state that Christ was always a God and divine. Now weather he was our God or not can and does change for individuals. People can reject Christ and choose to worship another. In that regards he is no longer God to them.

Archived