Seriously No Politics ×

On being called "Mormons"

Nathair/|\

How do you all feel about the term "Mormon Church" or the members being called "Mormons?"

Personally I am uncomfortable with the use of the term "Mormon Church" because it implies to me that we worship Mormon (3 Nephi 27:8) and I think he would be highly offended at the idea. On the other hand, I find being called "a Mormon" highly flattering (kind of like being called an Einstein or a George Washington) because Mormon was such a great example.

Yours under the eponymous oaks,

Nathair /|\

Nathair:

We're NOT the Mormon Church. I'm OK with being called a Mormon by I prefer Latter-day Saint.

I tend to agree, I was referring to what people choose to call us. For the Church, I like either the full name or the Church of Jesus Christ. LDS Church is fine if the full name has already been identified. I also like Saint for the members.

Yours under the uncreative oaks,

Nathair/|\

How do you all feel about the term "Mormon Church" or the members being called "Mormons?"

Personally I am uncomfortable with the use of the term "Mormon Church" because it implies to me that we worship Mormon (3 Nephi 27:8) and I think he would be highly offended at the idea. On the other hand, I find being called "a Mormon" highly flattering (kind of like being called an Einstein or a George Washington) because Mormon was such a great example.

Nathair /|\

I consider it more due to the fact we have the Book of Mormon and not really the person Mormon. I'm not offended at all, the only negative bit with it is being associated with the 'Mormon' Polygamists.

I associate being called a "Mormon" with being called a Catholic, or a Baptist, or a Methodist, or a Lutheran, etc, and I assocate the Church being called the "Mormon Church" just as other churches are called either the Catholic Church, or the Baptist Church, or the Methodist Church, etc.

I think it's generally understood to be just a nickname for those who are either too lazy to use more words or who feel that the nickname distracts less when used in a sentence.

Nathair:

They call call a Watermelon a Rhinoceros for all the difference it makes. But I fail to see the point in calling something by something it is not.

So, just so I understand, if someone was speaking to you and they referred to "the Mormon church," what would you say to them. I have responded that there is no such thing as a "Mormon church," that he would be offended if there was a church set up to worship/honor him.

Yours under the confused oaks,

Nathair /|\

Nathair /|\

I think being called Mormons is perfectly fine. I object to use of the term "Mormon Church" because it under-emphasizes the proper name of the Church of Jesus Christ and, thereby, plays into the disinformation campaign of those who would have the world believe we are not a Christian faith.

Added: I am uncomfortable with the construction "Church of the Latter-day Saints" for the same reason.

Nathair:

There MIGHT be a Mormon Church somewhere. I don't know nor do I particularly care if there is. But I don't belong to it. My experience with the critics is that they do it for one of two reasons.

1. Ignorance, this is the most easily cured by telling them the proper name of the Church.

2. Maliciousness, deliberately telling a lie in order to conflate the Church with non Christian groups.

Nathair /|\

I prefer the terms "Mormon Church" and "Mormon" as it helps avoid the too frequent repetition of the name of the Son of God.

Nathair /|\

I am forever devoted to the term Mormon ever since I sang "A Mormon Boy" (the tune resonates in my mind to this day) in SS back when I was six. It carries a sentimental connection that will never be broken. In my exalted state :P after this life I want to be called "That Mormon Dude". ;)

I associate being called a "Mormon" with being called a Catholic, or a Baptist, or a Methodist, or a Lutheran, etc, and I assocate the Church being called the "Mormon Church" just as other churches are called either the Catholic Church, or the Baptist Church, or the Methodist Church, etc.

I think it's generally understood to be just a nickname for those who are either too lazy to use more words or who feel that the nickname distracts less when used in a sentence.

If you

Interesting, you know that the term "Mormon" is not something with which we gave ourself?

I hve no issue with being called a Mormon though. I don't like my church being called "The Mormon Church", as that is not the name of our church.

Ok. The "Church of Jesus Christ of Ladder Day Saints" implies belief in the doctrineof Joseph Smith. I see nothing wrong with that.

Ok. The "Church of Jesus Christ of Ladder Day Saints" implies belief in the doctrineof Joseph Smith. I see nothing wrong with that.

Actually, it is more likely that it implies a belief in holy painters, the doctrine of the heavenly re-roofers, or, perhaps, beatified firefighters.

Lehi

Archived