Temple Weddings For Time Only?

Bonniken

I was sealed before and am now divorced. I will be getting married again soon, but we have opted for a civil ceremony since getting a sealing clearance will likely take longer than we want to wait. My fiance was married before, but never sealed. We both hold current temple recommends.

My fiance just spoke to a ward member yesterday who indicated he was in a similar situation 22 years ago and was married "civilly", or for time only, in a temple ceremony. I had heard a rumor that this was done, but until now never knew anyone who had actually participated first hand.

Does anyone know for sure if this is still practiced? Is it possible to be married in the temple still for time only? I'm sure we can all speculate, but I would really love to know if anyone has an informed answer. Thanks so much.

BTW, I did send an email to my bishop inquiring, but he is young and new and doesn't seem to know anything about it.

Thanks for the reply. It just occurred to me that I'm also probably curious if it is no longer practiced if anyone knows why that might be so? Is it a good thing or a bad thing? I definitely understand the importance and sanctity of the temple and wanting to protect and emphasize the importance of the sealing ceremony, but I'm finding more and more how frequently and easily people can find themselves in situations where a civil ceremony may be the best option until sealing issues can be worked out. And offering that option inside the temple for people who are worthy to be there can certainly add to the occasion.

Thanks, Jason, that's interesting. Most of the scenarios that have been related to me 3rd, 4th, or 5th hand may have been in the situation you describe, but the one I learned about most directly and reliably was definitely not. I don't believe she was widowed and she was sealed 6-7 months after the marriage for time in the temple. Again, this was 22 years ago, so still trying to corroborate whether it's done today. Many different opinions here, it would seem, but they're helpful until I find something more definitive. Thanks.

I believe a marriage for time only is only done in the temples if a widow is marrying a new husband without cancelling the sealing to her old husband.

That is correct. My wife's mother was married in the temple, time only, under those circumstances.

So, do they say "Till death do you part"? Because that would be really, really weird.

I don't recall the exact wording, but they do say something that clarifies that the marriage ends at death, yes.

I don't recall the exact wording, but they do say something that clarifies that the marriage ends at death, yes.

Do they take one of the mirrors out too, and have the couple just look at themselves in the one mirror?

Do they take one of the mirrors out too, and have the couple just look at themselves in the one mirror?

I don't think that's very funny.

It (a marriage for time only) is still a sacred ceremony.

24 years ago, I was married for time only in the temple, then sealed for eternity a few months later when my cancellation of sealing was granted. This is not done anymore--at least the way it was when I had it. There are exceptions to the rules, but I don't know what they are. I do know that last year, a friend who is a widow was not able to be sealed for time because she was sealed for eternity to her dead husband. She and her new husband had to be married civilly, not in the temple, since they did not provide a time sealing option anymore.

I suggest you ask your Bishop, who will take it up with the Stake President. But don't be surprised if they turn down your request.

So, do they say "Till death do you part"? Because that would be really, really weird.

No, but they did say something to that effect. The wording used made clear that the sealing was for mortal life.

No, they don't take the mirrors out or cover them up. The mirrors thing is not actually part of the ceremony.

Instead of "till death do you part" the phrase is "for the period of your mortal lives". I'm with Jason, though. Not sure why it would be "weird", much less "really, really weird".

tsk, tsk, Cinepro... we can always count on you... :P

GG

edit to add: I agree with Storm Rider. Contact the temple and ask them directly. I recall a "time only" ceremony for a ward couple not too long ago, but not sure under what circumstances it was performed.

24 years ago, I was married for time only in the temple, then sealed for eternity a few months later when my cancellation of sealing was granted. This is not done anymore--at least the way it was when I had it. There are exceptions to the rules, but I don't know what they are. I do know that last year, a friend who is a widow was not able to be sealed for time because she was sealed for eternity to her dead husband. She and her new husband had to be married civilly, not in the temple, since they did not provide a time sealing option anymore.

I suggest you ask your Bishop, who will take it up with the Stake President. But don't be surprised if they turn down your request.

I am trying to understand. If a person remarries civilly because the woman is sealed to her dead spouse is she in the eye's of God perhaps committing adultery since the Temple marriage does not end at death? What if the woman loves the second husband more, does she have to stay with the first Husband? just because I knew a Jerky man who died and his wife remarried and she was so much happier, but was sealed to the first. I guess you probably figure God will work it out. It just seems to get complicated. That's not even considering children sealed to divorcing parents, but then I dont see how worthy LDS children can be with their parents if they are off planning a world with their own spouse.

Heartleap...

I am trying to understand. If a person remarries civilly because the woman is sealed to her dead spouse is she in the eye's of God perhaps committing adultery since the Temple marriage does not end at death?

Not generally, no.
What if the woman loves the second husband more, does she have to stay with the first Husband? just because I knew a Jerky man who died and his wife remarried and she was so much happier, but was sealed to the first. I guess you probably figure God will work it out.
Yep - God will work it out.
It just seems to get complicated.
Yes, complicating the basic and most common situation of one woman marrying one man does make it more complicated.

Woah, woah, woah ... I might have to disagree about the fictitious woman being sealed to the jerky husband. If the husband was indeed jerky, he won't be sealed to anyone. Sealings only work for celestial people/couples. Nobody is going to feel bummed out or slighted or sad about who they get "stuck with" for the eternities. Of that I feel completely confident.

Woah, woah, woah ... I might have to disagree about the fictitious woman being sealed to the jerky husband. If the husband was indeed jerky, he won't be sealed to anyone. Sealings only work for celestial people/couples. Nobody is going to feel bummed out or slighted or sad about who they get "stuck with" for the eternities. Of that I feel completely confident.

Good point. Yeah, there won't be any jerks in the Celestial Kingdom anyway, so no worries about being sealed to one.

What if the woman loves the second husband more, does she have to stay with the first Husband?

No. The woman can choose to have the first sealing "loosed" thus making it possible for her to be sealed to another man, instead.

... I dont see how worthy LDS children can be with their parents if they are off planning a world with their own spouse.

The sealing of parents to their children is mainly to work out who is responsibile for those children, with parents having the responsibility to teach their children forever and ever, rather than just until death, or when the children become adults.

Our Father in heaven will continue to teach all of us, but he has helpers, too, at each level of the family structure.

I didn't realize they no longer do this in our temples. I must admit though that I have never understood why they ever did them in the first place for a time only marriage. If I were to marry for time only (and it was not my first marriage) I'd probaby opt for a small garden wedding.

I don't know why other people chose to do it this way when it was an option, but I can explain why we did. We had been told that the cancellation of sealing was in order. We'd sent out invitations etc, then someone took another look at the letter (ex-husband had to write a letter saying he was okay with the cancellation) and determined that since it was typed and not signed, it was not really kosher. Another letter needed to be requested and if he refused to send a letter, then after a certain amount of time, we could have the cancellation. It was suggested to us that rather than postpone our marriage, we could be sealed for time and then later, when the cancellation came through, be sealed for eternity. We chose to do this.

Archived