Seriously No Politics ×

Tithes going to fund BYU

Duncan

So this friend of mine recently quit the Church, she has issues.. but one of them is that she found out that the Church is funding BYU with tithing. Her thinking is that kids who go there should pay for it themselves or get student loans like everyone else everywhere else and build the kingdom whereever they are To me its hardly startly that it does that but what percentage of tithes go to fund it? What do you think of that? I get blessings from tithing so I could not care less what the Church spends it on is my point of view.

It is one of life's great mysteries. The mysteries in heaven that the scriptures speak of include the LDS finances. Maybe if you pray really hard and study the scriptures for hours and hours, this mystery will be revealed to you.

Another idea would be to not worry about it. If you start worrying about where the money goes, even as a service for someone else, you may just find yourself getting frustrated. A good friend of mine once said, "Hey, it's just money." He, of course finds issues like this troubling but pays tithing anyway.

Think about it this way: At least your tithing money is going toward a school that has a football team that might get to play a pac-10 team more often than before.

It is one of life's great mysteries. The mysteries in heaven that the scriptures speak of include the LDS finances. Maybe if you pray really hard and study the scriptures for hours and hours, this mystery will be revealed to you.

Another idea would be to not worry about it. If you start worrying about where the money goes, even as a service for someone else, you may just find yourself getting frustrated. A good friend of mine once said, "Hey, it's just money." He, of course finds issues like this troubling but pays tithing anyway.

Think about it this way: At least your tithing money is going toward a school that has a football team that might get to play a pac-10 team more often than before.

I thought you took a break? This is always a fair question if the person announces their departure. Just curious.

I have no idea how much tithing is used to support/subsidize BYU. And I don't think the Church will ever be open/specific about its finances again.

Big UP!

Lamanite

BYU students do indeed do those things.

Don't tithes subsidize the tuition though? No one but me is paying for my tuition, I doubt if I sent in my student loan bill the Church would subsidize it it what she would say

Not like it's a big secret or anything.

I personally could not care less and I know Pres. Packer talked a bit about this in a GC talk years ago but I know she would say the Church never paid 70% of her tuition.

I've heard numbers about 60% subsidy on the low end to 70% on the high end. Since the Church is private, they don't exactly have to publish the actual data.

Not that it's really anybody's business what the number is.

It wouldn't even get talked about if certain nimrods didn't claim there was and is no subsidy.

It is because we believe that ALL MEN may get a good education

3 Nephi 6:12

12 And the people began to be distinguished by ranks, according to their ariches and their chances for learning; yea, some were bignorant because of their poverty, and others did receive great learning because of their riches.

It is 50% cheaper to go to BYU than the average college. The idea to give everyone a chance to receive a good education.

I thought you packed your bags and moved out of Utah? You know, to go live among the heathen, go live among those with no hope, to go find God. I'd suggest NYC, Los Angeles or even Miami. It's pretty easy to take pot shots from the safety of Zion.

Wow. 70% of LDS student tuition paid by tithings at BYU.

This helps me appreciate President Hinckleys plea to the young priesthood a few year's back to get their higher education a lot more than the numbers were showing. This fact in regards to tuition gives that talk a different perspective that non-members wouldn't be able to appreciate.

I learn something everyday.

It is 50% cheaper to go to BYU than the average college. The idea to give everyone a chance to receive a good education.

If I may throw a wrench into the system, does it bother anyone that not all active TBM's whose parents have been lifelong tithe payers are accepted to the Y when they apply?

If I may throw a wrench into the system, does it bother anyone that not all active TBM's whose parents have been lifelong tithe payers are accepted to the Y when they apply?

Especially when those TBMs live in places like Mindanao and Cuzco and Canberra.

So this friend of mine recently quit the Church, she has issues.. but one of them is that she found out that the Church is funding BYU with tithing. Her thinking is that kids who go there should pay for it themselves or get student loans like everyone else everywhere else and build the kingdom whereever they are

Although I disagree, I can vaguely understand a member feeling that way. However, it does seem to be a bit inconsistent for her to list that among the reasons why she quit the Church. How can she criticize kids for not building the kingdom wherever they are, when she has decided that she is not going to build the kingdom anywhere?

Is it correct that BYU receives no government subsidy compared to public schools that are subsidized by tax dollars?

Duncan, I seem to remember you are from Canada. Is your friend ignorant of how much the federal and provincial governments subsize university costs? She isn't paying for it on her own. The governments are making a huge investment to make school accessible for her. If you represent her thought process correctly, then am I right to judge that she's taking either an arts/journalism program or something that involves politics?

So this friend of mine recently quit the Church, she has issues.. but one of them is that she found out that the Church is funding BYU with tithing. Her thinking is that kids who go there should pay for it themselves or get student loans like everyone else everywhere else and build the kingdom whereever they are To me its hardly startly that it does that but what percentage of tithes go to fund it? What do you think of that? I get blessings from tithing so I could not care less what the Church spends it on is my point of view.

Perhaps she should quit paying state taxes also as state universities are subsidized by the state and anybody who attends one of these universities have their education subsidized to the tune of about 70%.

Did they meet the academic entry standards?

Sounds like sour grapes to me. I have known since I was in Seminary (30 years ago!) that BYU was supported by the Church's tithing funds. I have always approved, because it is a Church owned University and as for this TBM, I did not go there, even with my Returned Missionary status and full tithe payer status, I chose to go to a different University because at the time BYU did not offer the courses of study I was interested in. But I did not resent or begrudge the fact that others (not just TBM's) benefit from the subsidizing of that institution by the Church. That is why the Church should be able to "call the shots" just as government subsidized school's "shots" are called by the government.

Is it correct that BYU receives no government subsidy compared to public schools that are subsidized by tax dollars?

Duncan, I seem to remember you are from Canada. Is your friend ignorant of how much the federal and provincial governments subsize university costs? She isn't paying for it on her own. The governments are making a huge investment to make school accessible for her. If you represent her thought process correctly, then am I right to judge that she's taking either an arts/journalism program or something that involves politics?

I come from where Dale Hawerchuk once reigned supreme! No, I don't know if she knows about the Fed. and Prov. Gov't and how much they take for loans. She is a teacher so education degree, I am thinking she was on some anti-mormon website or something and I doubt they would have told her that!

I come from where Dale Hawerchuk once reigned supreme! No, I don't know if she knows about the Fed. and Prov. Gov't and how much they take for loans. She is a teacher so education degree, I am thinking she was on some anti-mormon website or something and I doubt they would have told her that!

I don't know how much Canada's provincial governments subsidize colleges and universities but I do know in the US the federal goverment has a myriad of grant programs for them and the state governments subsidize state colleges and universities to the tune of 70% to 80% with state tax monies.

The anti's are really big at complaining about things that do not affect them in any way. If they don't pay tithing it is none of their business. If they do donate, once a donation is made it is no longer the donors money but the recipients money to do with as they please. If they don't like what the organization does with their money then don't give.

For what its worth, I can't understand why anyone would complain about funding higher education. As I personally struggle with the idea of 10 percent of my money going to the church, I can't say that this sort of use of my money would prevent me from joining at all. In fact, it could have the opposite effect.

Archived