Seriously No Politics ×

Hyrum Andrus

rockslider

I believe Hyrum would be well known for his copious footnotes, which tended to always be scriptural references in this writings. His lifetime study was about Joseph Smith, with his Doctorial dissertation dealing with the Nauvoo era. Hyrum had access to the church archives throughout his studies and career in the institute department of BYU (50's till they locked it down).

Hyrum was also a very gifted orator and would stand for hours, with a hand-full of notes, but seldom referring to them, would move his audience (students) with powerful sermons, always backed by quoted scripture.

My dear wife stashed the following away, I'm going to order a cassette player and adapter, and venture listening to this set again, these many years later and see what I hear/feel now. I want to convert them to mp3.

This is "meat", and I assume what ultimately cost Hyrum his job and almost his membership. I worked with Hyrum in the Provo and then in the Timpanogos Temples for several years. He told me of a confrontation he had with BRM, where BRM got right in his face and yelled at the top of his lungs at him. However, Hyrum's desire to maintain his membership led to his promising that he would not talk about these things (once again, I assume partly the content of these tapes) again. He was tight lipped and true to this promise.

There are three sets of tapes. They are all live recordings of Hyrum at the pulpit in 2/3 day seminars:

Hyrum used to always say "If you want to really known your religion, you need to study the men that knew Joseph". Here is a compilation of what he had learned about it in his life.

The Pearl of Great Price Seminar

The Book of Mormon Seminar

The Doctrine and Covenants Seminar

All but three tapes are live recordings from a seminar given in Snowflake Arizona, August 10, 11, 12 - 1989.

Tapes 1, 2 and 17 were added by Hyrum at a later date to supplement the set.

If you've never heard Hyrum before, jump right to tape three to get a feel - it's everything I remembered it to be.

See bottom of post for ISO links:

tape 1 - A new dispensation opens (43:05 39.5mb)

tape 2 - missing - I'll likely check back with Hyrum later and see if he will lend me this missing tape.

tape 3 - The meaning of Gethsemane (1:27:29 80.0mb)

Tape 4 - The meaning of Calvary (1:17:53 71.3mb)http://rapidshare.co...alvary.mp3.html

tape 5 - The 13 looks of Nephi, Christ's redemption from the fall(76.4mb)

HA's wife, Helen Mae is the speaker for the first 1:04:45 of tape5. (1:23:27 total time)

HA then does a section, finishing up the session with thoughts on the redemptive earth and the question of One God.

tape 6 - Divine justice and mercy (1:28:19 80.8mb)

tape 7 - Nephi's last days prophecies - part 1(1:27:21 79.9mb)

tape 8 - part 2 (1:25:32 78.3mb)

tape 9 - Becoming sons and daughters of Christ (1:26:54 79.5mb)

tape 10 - The new life in Christ (1:20:46 73.9mb)

tape 11 - Justification and sanctification (1:24:52 77.7mb)

tape 12 - Enduring to the end (1:25:27 78.2mb)

Helen Mae is the speaker for 16:40

tape 13 - Nephi, key to Isaiah - part 1 (1:26:18 79.0mb)

tape 14 - part (1:25:00 77.83mb)

tape 15 - The Holy Order (1:16:33 70.0mb)

this tape should be of interest to every endowed member.

ETB - What I hope you teach your children about the Temple

tape 16 - The law of Zion (1:27:25 80.0mb)

tape 17 - Consecration and stewardship(0:15:34, 14.2mb)

tape 18 - Zion and Israel (1:31:26, 83.7mb)

tape 19 - Christ's coming to Zion, Jews, World (1:03:21 58.0mb)

tape 20 - Nephi's and John's Revelations of the last days - part 1 (1:20:19 77mb)

tape 21 - part 2 (1:25:58 78.8mb)

All tapes had a narrator interrupt the talk one half of the way through and tell you to flip the tape over. I've edited out this narration and merged the two sides together. You'll notice a slight break in speech at these points (typically about 40 minutes in ... 1/2 the time noted in the links).

ISO links:

There are three CD sized .ISO's (simple file/mp3 cds). I simply divided the total tapes by 3, thus 7 tapes per CD.

heres a free iso recorder/burner you could use for these iso's. http://www.imgburn.com/

Bom-cd1 (1,3,4,5,6,7 428mb)

Bom-cd2 (8,9,10,11,12,13,14 545mb)

Bom-cd3 (15,16,17,18,19,20,21 458.9mb)

Bom-dvd (all tracks 1.4gb) bummer, "file size exceeds 1gig", can't upload it, rapidShare kinda sucks.

There was no introductory information on the first tape. It becomes clear that this seminar was also in Snowflake.

The year 1991 was used in a context that indicates this was the year this conference took place.

See bottom of post for ISO links:

tape 1 - A volume of modern scripture (1:23:55 76.84mb)

tape 2 - The role of the living Prophet (1:25:21 78.15mb)

tape 3 - The new witness for Christ (1:28:40 81.18)

tape 4 - The idea of Zion (1:25:21 78.15mb)

tape 5 - The prophetic vision of Zion - part 1 (1:22:41 75.7mb)

tape 6 - part 2 (1:19:11 72.5mb)

tape 7 - The Temple, the eternal family of Christ (1:27:13 79.86mb)

tape 8 - Saviors on Mount Zion (1:14:34 68.28mb)

Tape 9 - The Church of Jesus Christ and the mission (1:28:40 81.8mb)

tape 10 - The peaceful millennial Kingdom of Christ (1:22:44 75.76mb)

tape 11 - The three divisions of Christ's coming - part 1 (1:23:19 76.29mb)

tape 12 - part 2 (1:20:12 73.43mb)

tape 13 - Jesus Christ, the great creator and redeemer (1:26:30 79.2mb)

tape 14 - Man and his relationship to God (1:19:51 73.11mb)

tape 15 - Resurrection and three degrees of glory - part 1 (1:20:24 73.62mb)

tape 16 - part 2 (1:29:56 82.35mb)

tape 17 - Great harvest season of last days - part 1(1:22:56 75.94mb)

tape 18 - part 2 (1:27:27 80.07mb)

it appears that tape 18 was the end of the Snowflake seminar.

not sure where the following tapes were given/made

first three appear to be in Hyrum's stake

tape 19 - Youth, repentance and Jesus Christ (0:51:42 47.34mb)

tape 20 - The doctrine of the fall (1:01:07 55.96)

tape 21 - Doctrine of spirit rebirth - basic plan of life - Moses 6 (0:58:18 53.39mb)

tape 22 - Doctrine of Election (1:18:27 71.83mb)

tape 23 - Power of resurrection and atonement (1:12:53 66.73mb)

tape 24 - Consecration and stewardship (0:14:29 13:27mb)

ISO links

Dac-cd1 (1-8 611.25mb)

Dac-cd2 (9-16 615.5mb)

Dac-cd3 (17-24 465.13mb)

Hi rockslider,

Did you say before that Bruce R. McConkie got mad at Bro. Andrus over Adam-God or something?

I enjoyed reading his three volume Foundations of the Millennial Kingdom of Christ (or whatever it was called) set.

Did he get into trouble before the planned fourth volume was done? Is that why it ended at three volumes?

Hi rockslider,

Did you say before that Bruce R. McConkie got mad at Bro. Andrus over Adam-God or something?

I enjoyed reading his three volume Foundations of the Millennial Kingdom of Christ (or whatever it was called) set.

Did he get into trouble before the planned fourth volume was done? Is that why it ended at three volumes?

kamerraider,

If you have not already, check out the Daymon Smith pod cast on Mormon stories that I link in a recent thread I created (Periods of Change).

Then picture Joseph F Smith (Talmage/BHR era) steering the ship. BRM fell squarely in this "new direction". Hyrum, based on his love of the archives study of endless diaries, would have been, in Daymon's words , speculative metaphysical doctrine camp. It was much more than just Adam/God. Hyrum would have never publicly testified of or taught Adam/God (other than in a historical/BY framework). This was a matter of the utmost personal sacredness to any who followed the doctrine in the 80's/90's..

It's what was in these tapes, which he was publicly teaching in Stake sanctioned seminars, in the Stake center chapels which the yelling was about.

Those first three volumes were way back, late 50's, early sixties, but yes he had other works that he had put together, which because of his agreement he did not publish.

It's interesting now days, to hear of what is the churchs doctrine. I'm afraid Hryums life work, and these seminars were an old school doctrine that needed to become old school opinions. Hyrum had to be silenced.

Rockslider,

Who owns the intellectual rights to those recordings?

If they were made at a Church-sanctioned seminar or sold through a private vendor, the rights likely belong to either the Church or that vendor.

Are you quite certain that you won't be violating intellectual property/copy rights by converting those tapes to MP3's and distributing them?

Have you spoken with Brother Andrus and affirmed that by effectively "republishing" those earlier talks, that you're not in violation of the law and compromising his agreement with the Church?

I believe Hyrum would be well known for his copious footnotes, which tended to always be scriptural references in this writings. His lifetime study was about Joseph Smith, with his Doctorial dissertation dealing with the Nauvoo era. Hyrum had access to the church archives throughout his studies and career in the institute department of BYU (50's till they locked it down).

Hyrum was also a very gifted orator and would stand for hours, with a hand-full of notes, but seldom referring to them, would move his audience (students) with powerful sermons, always backed by quoted scripture.

My dear wife stashed the following away, I'm going to order a cassette player and adapter, and venture listening to this set again, these many years later and see what I hear/feel now. I want to convert them to mp3.

This is "meat", and I assume what ultimately cost Hyrum his job and almost his membership. I worked with Hyrum in the Provo and then in the Timpanogos Temples for several years. He told me of a confrontation he had with BRM, where BRM got right in his face and yelled at the top of his lungs at him. However, Hyrum's desire to maintain his membership led to his promising that he would not talk about these things (once again, I assume partly the content of these tapes) again. He was tight lipped and true to this promise.

There are three sets of tapes. They are all live recordings of Hyrum at the pulpit in 2/3 day seminars:

Hyrum used to always say "If you want to really known your religion, you need to study the men that knew Joseph". Here is a compilation of what he had learned about it in his life.

The Pearl of Great Price Seminar

I am going to take a stab and bet that you also value Fred Collier's work.

I am going to take a stab and bet that you also value Fred Collier's work.

I have two full sets of Fred Collier's publications. I never associated with Fred, just bought the two sets books from him before he left for Mexico.

My good friend Stan James had introduced me to some of Fred's works.

I have two full sets of Fred Collier's publications. I never associated with Fred, just bought the two sets books from him before he left for Mexico.

My good friend Stan James had introduced me to some of Fred's works.

I was pretty sure you followed Fred's line of thinking but I didn't want to state so emphatically. Your posts are pretty transparent and I could see how you were leaning.

MD

I often state "my friend Hyrum". This is out of my desires, but not a true statement. Hyrum was a hero to me, an acquaintance with whom I would seek out at every opportunity to prod, listen to and learn from in the Temple.

Stan James was like an adoptive father to me. It was Stan that tutored and taught me the most. This over the course of eight years. Of course this involved him introducing me to the likes of Collier's works. It was Stan that supplied me with the tapes, as Hyrum could not, at the time.

Stan, having been an ordinance worker for over 20 years at the time, was geared to seeking the face of God and the mysteries of the Kingdom, always from a Temple perspective.

Many years of Infobases study leading up to my temple years was the foundation of my learning. It was self taught. Men like Stan, Hyrum and Hershel added a crowning type experience to it all.

p.s.

did I ever tell my meeting BKP story here (for what I thought would be my excommunication) over Holocaust victim work I had done with Stan after the Provo Temple shut it down?

My hero's have always been renegades, God bless them!

I often state "my friend Hyrum". This is out of my desires, but not a true statement. Hyrum was a hero to me, an acquaintance with whom I would seek out at every opportunity to prod, listen to and learn from in the Temple.

Stan James was like an adoptive father to me. It was Stan that tutored and taught me the most. This over the course of eight years. Of course this involved him introducing me to the likes of Collier's works. It was Stan that supplied me with the tapes, as Hyrum could not, at the time.

Stan, having been an ordinance worker for over 20 years at the time, was geared to seeking the face of God and the mysteries of the Kingdom, always from a Temple perspective.

Many years of Infobases study leading up to my temple years was the foundation of my learning. It was self taught. Men like Stan, Hyrum and Hershel added a crowning type experience to it all.

p.s.

did I ever tell my meeting BKP story here (for what I thought would be my excommunication) over Holocaust victim work I had done with Stan after the Provo Temple shut it down?

You have not answered my questions, Rockslider.

Are you legally authorized to recreate, convert, and redistribute those materials?

There is something else to learn. A testimony is not thrust upon you; a testimony grows. We become taller in testimony like we grow taller in physical stature; we hardly know it happens because it comes by growth.

It is not wise to wrestle with the revelations with such insistence as to demand immediate answers or blessings to your liking. You cannot force spiritual things. Such words as compel, coerce, constrain, pressure, demand, do not describe our privileges with the Spirit. You can no more force the Spirit to respond than you can force a bean to sprout, or an egg to hatch before it's time. You can create a climate to foster growth, nourish, and protect; but you cannot force or compel: you must await the growth.

Do not be impatient to gain great spiritual knowledge. Let it grow, help it grow, but do not force it or you will open the way to be misled.

(Elder Boyd K. Packer, The Candle of the Lord, Ensign, Jan. 1983)

Rockslider: I think you know what this reference is in regard to.

MD

MD,

Might I ask, how old are you? Do you live in Utah Valley? Can you share anything of your personal life with me?

You have pegged me pretty closely it seems.

Yes, I understand the reference. In fact it hits home in many more ways than just that aspect. It

MD,

Might I ask, how old are you? Do you live in Utah Valley? Can you share anything of your personal life with me?

You have pegged me pretty closely it seems.

Yes, I understand the reference. In fact it hits home in many more ways than just that aspect. It

I would be very careful about promoting products especially products that may be the intellectual property of someone else. Please make sure you do not use this site for any type of distribution that may violate copyright laws.

Thanks,

Nemesis

I just got off the phone with Hyrum. I explained to him that I wanted to convert the tapes to MP3 format and make them available to a few people that have expressed interest in them on this board.

Of course he did not want them involved in any kind of commercial use, but had no problem with me converting them and sharing them with those interested on this board.

Nemesis,

I have two individuals that have PM'ed me and would like to obtain the MP3's. I assume there might be a few more interested, if/when I get them completed.

How would you like me to proceed with this?

i.e. anywhere from cease and desist, publically, and/or privately on this board to hey let us host those for a while for easy download to those interested.

I'm going with no news is good news (no response from Nemesis).

Keep your eye on posts 2, 3 and 4 in this thread. I'll modify the lists I made there with the links (two currently exist in BoM). To get a feel for Hyrum, jump straight to Tape3 - the first live tape at SnowFlake.

I'll bump this thread from time to time at landmark times.

Some details:

Elijah Sandalphon pointed out to me a free hosting site (rapidshare.com) and I have started to upload the converted mp3's to there.

However, it seems there are some funny "rules" on the rapidshare.com site. As near as I can tell, only 10 downloads of a given file are allowed in the free section, and files that have not had a download in 60 days might be deleted.

There is some kind of point system (earned from downloads) which go towards moving the files to "Premium zone" areas were the above restrictions don't apply.

If I read it right, if you download more than 3 files in an hour, the points are only granted for the first three (i.e. please help with points accordingly).

If I read it right, if you download more than 3 files in an hour, the points are only granted for the first three (i.e. please help with points accordingly).

Not sure you read the rules right, because after I had downloaded tape 1 I tried to download tape 3, but was told I had reached the limit for non-Premium users.

Archived