The Value of Mormonism

Lamanite

Last night around 8pm I saw that I had a new voice mail. I retrieved the voice mail and heard a commotion with a number of instruments beeping and voices shouting. Amidst all of the noise I heard my Sister calling out to my Mom saying "I love you Mom... I love you Mom!", to which my Mom screamed, "I Love you Dottie, I will miss you... I love you so much!" Call goes dead. I see that my missed call was from my Moms cell phone.

Earlier that day my Sister had gone in for routine same day surgery. I knew my Sister was in trouble and what hospital I should to go to. I called my wife and told her not to ask questions but to get the kids and come pick me up. I then walked in to speak with my staff and said calmly, "My Sister has had some complications, I am going to the Hospital." I left.

On the way to the Hospital all seemed to go quiet and in that moment I understood the value of Mormonism. I saw in my minds eye the Salt Lake Temple, from it flowed all the blessings of Eternity. I firmly believed that if my Sister died I would see and be with her again. Then I imagined the Savior in Gethsemane, Golgotha, and the Garden Tomb. Surely, He proffers both Redemption and Resurrection. I knew she would be fine. My heart filled with a very profound but delicate peace and joy. I arrived at the Hospital.

She is fine and stable.

Tonight I am reminded why I love Mormonism. This event underscores its ability to speak to the eternal (both time and quality of life) needs of both individuals and families. The concept of an Eternal Family is incredibly powerful. It tastes good. The Atonement and Resurrection offer reconciliation with God; and the hope that we might be with Him again- surrounded by our families. These idea's are incredibly moving. They are expansive and inclusive. They bring hope and peace amidst turmoil and tragedy. They satisfy me.

My beliefs regarding the Atonement are seen through the lens of Mormonism and faith. This suits me. The Plan of Happiness, in relation to the individual and the family, are seen through the lens of Mormonism and faith. This works for me.

Intellectually I may be the least of you, but I know that when I thought my Sister was dying, Mormonism provided every answer I needed. And that was enough. I'm a pretty simple guy. I don't need to completely solve the issue of Deutero-Isaiah before I will accept comfort. I don't need to be given all the interworkings of the translation process before I will accept transformation and peace. And I really don't need to know the intimate details of polygamy before I will embrace the grand vision of families that last through time and throughout all of eternity!

For those who may be quietly listening, I invite you to come and partake of something that brings me great joy and comfort. For those who are critical of the Church, I wonder why you don't lovingly offer what it is you have to offer and then move on.

The Family and The Atonement-- if you gave me nothing else I would be just fine.

Dottie, aka Dot aka Dotsy aka Dotpound!

I love you girl!

Big UP!

Lamanite

Lamanite,

I'm happy to hear your sister is doing well.

I would like to point out that my non-mormon friend at work feels the same way about his family. He is convinced he will be with his family forever after this life but has no desire to become mormon. Maybe after this life, he will be convinced mormonism is the right way? If he is not convinced, will he lose his family?

My BIL's Jewish wife is very sad that all her in-laws think she will not be with them in heaven if she does not become Mormon. When she asked if they believe she could go to heaven with them, they answered yes if she becomes Mormon (i.e. receives the temple ordinances, etc). She asked, "What if I don't want to do that?" They politely said she would not be with them. She began to cry and it was very sad.

So besides that, I guess if you are a Mormon the temple is a pretty cool place.

Lamanite,

I'm happy to hear your sister is doing well.

I would like to point out that my non-mormon friend at work feels the same way about his family.

I'm glad.

If he is not convinced, will he lose his family?

You always seem to be looking for black and white answers. I think this is foolish. We exist and progress with an infinite number of variables; and you want yes or no answers regarding eternity? Lame.

The real question should be, do I think you may lose your own family as a result of your apostasy? From what I know about you.... I have no idea. Probably not would be my guess. And I'm happy the judgment isn't mine.

My BIL's Jewish wife is very sad that all her in-laws think she will not be with them in heaven if she does not become Mormon. When she asked if they believe she could go to heaven with them, they answered yes if she becomes Mormon (i.e. receives the temple ordinances, etc). She asked, "What if I don't want to do that?" They politely said she would not be with them. She began to cry and it was very sad.

Is she dissatisfied with her in-laws or her theology. One she is stuck with and the other she can change. Nevertheless, his grace is sufficient.

Big UP!

Lamanite

I understand, mate. As you already know. The events of the past few weeks for me have underscored the fact that I wouldn't trade what we have for literally anything else. Family and Atonement. Peace and love. Revelation and answered prayers. Joy beyond expression.

I'm glad your sister is fine. So is mine.

You always seem to be looking for black and white answers. I think this is foolish. We exist and progress with an infinite number of variables; and you want yes or no answers regarding eternity? Lame.

Is the church as presented by the GA's black and white or not? Does the temple matter or not? Does it matter if we are Mormon or Jew? I want you to know, that since my change in beliefs I have lost my black and white ideals. I think it is great you attend the temple and I believe God smiles on you for that. I also believe that a former Jehovah's Witness that is now Buddhist will be just fine with God. The Mormon temple is just some pretty building where you can participate in Masonic-type rituals. That is fine if you feel 10% income to LDS is what you need to do. I personally feel they are misusing my personal income. But that is simply my GRAY idea. Not black or white. I agree there are an infinite number of variables. God is not Mormon.

Is the church as presented by the GA's black and white or not? Does the temple matter or not? Does it matter if we are Mormon or Jew? I want you to know, that since my change in beliefs I have lost my black and white ideals. I think it is great you attend the temple and I believe God smiles on you for that. I also believe that a former Jehovah's Witness that is now Buddhist will be just fine with God. The Mormon temple is just some pretty building where you can participate in Masonic-type rituals. That is fine if you feel 10% income to LDS is what you need to do. I personally feel they are misusing my personal income. But that is simply my GRAY idea. Not black or white. I agree there are an infinite number of variables. God is not Mormon.

The gray area is the Spirit World + Temple work. Go back and reread the Doctrine and Covenants.

Last night around 8pm I saw that I had a new voice mail. I retrieved the voice mail and heard a commotion with a number of instruments beeping and voices shouting. Amidst all of the noise I heard my Sister calling out to my Mom saying "I love you Mom... I love you Mom!", to which my Mom screamed, "I Love you Dottie, I will miss you... I love you so much!" Call goes dead. I see that my missed call was from my Moms cell phone.

Earlier that day my Sister had gone in for routine same day surgery. I knew my Sister was in trouble and what hospital I should to go to. I called my wife and told her not to ask questions but to get the kids and come pick me up. I then walked in to speak with my staff and said calmly, "My Sister has had some complications, I am going to the Hospital." I left.

On the way to the Hospital all seemed to go quiet and in that moment I understood the value of Mormonism. I saw in my minds eye the Salt Lake Temple, from it flowed all the blessings of Eternity. I firmly believed that if my Sister died I would see and be with her again. Then I imagined the Savior in Gethsemane, Golgotha, and the Garden Tomb. Surely, He proffers both Redemption and Resurrection. I knew she would be fine. My heart filled with a very profound but delicate peace and joy. I arrived at the Hospital.

She is fine and stable.

Tonight I am reminded why I love Mormonism. This event underscores its ability to speak to the eternal (both time and quality of life) needs of both individuals and families. The concept of an Eternal Family is incredibly powerful. It tastes good. Its answers to families provide real and lasting peace. The Atonement and Resurrection offer reconciliation with God; and the hope that we might be with Him again- surrounded by our families. These idea's are incredibly moving. They are expansive and inclusive. They bring hope and peace amidst turmoil and tragedy. They satisfy me.

My beliefs regarding the Atonement are seen through the lens of Mormonism and faith. This suits me. The Plan of Happiness, in relation to the individual and the family, are seen through the lens of Mormonism and faith. This works for me.

Intellectually I may be the least of you, but I know that when I thought my Sister was dying, Mormonism provided every answer I needed. And that was enough. I'm a pretty simple guy. I don't need to completely solve the issue of Deutero-Isaiah before I will accept comfort. I don't need to be given all the interworkings of the translation process before I will accept transformation and peace. And I really don't need to know the intimate details of polygamy before I will embrace the grand vision of families that last through time and throughout all of eternity!

For those who may be quietly listening, I invite you to come and partake of something that brings me great joy and comfort. For those who are critical of the Church, I wonder why you don't lovingly offer what it is you have to offer and then move on.

The Family and The Atonement-- if you gave me nothing else I would be just fine.

Dottie, aka Dot aka Dotsy aka Dotpound!

I love you girl!

Big UP!

Lamanite

Lamanite, glad to hear that your sister is doing well.

Regarding your beliefs and how it has helped you get through some perilous circumstances, I am of the impression that all of us gravitate towards those beliefs that give us the most comfort and make the most sense given our limited understanding. The experience that you recalled above, though inspiring, could very well have been written by my ultra-believing Catholic mother-in-law or my best friend who is a born-again EV. They both think that they have found ultimate truths in their religions, and though you may quibble with the technicalities of those belief systems, they, like many of the TBMs here, would argue to the end that they have cornered the market on truth. Though you may disagree whether those belief systems provide the understanding that you believe Mormonism provides, I can assure you that they are no less convinced, and no less comforted, by their own belief system. Even as an atheist, I find more comfort in the reality of today than I do in the musings of tomorrow.

As I continue to say, whatever gets you through the night.....

The Mormon temple is just some pretty building where you can participate in Masonic-type rituals.

I find it very sad that that's all you now see the Temple as.

I see it as a sacred place of love and learning. I have had my love of the Savior and desire to serve Him increased through the repeated experience of participating in, officiating in, and pondering and striving to understand and obey the ordinances, covenants and symbols of the Temple. My understanding of my role in the plan of Salvation has been repeatedly expanded. I love it deeply, and view it as a sacred gift from God that has increased my Faith and Hope in powerful ways.

Lamanite, glad to hear that your sister is doing well.

Regarding your beliefs and how it has helped you get through some perilous circumstances, I am of the impression that all of us gravitate towards those beliefs that give us the most comfort and make the most sense given our limited understanding. The experience that you recalled above, though inspiring, could very well have been written by my ultra-believing Catholic mother-in-law or my best friend who is a born-again EV. They both think that they have found ultimate truths in their religions, and though you may quibble with the technicalities of those belief systems, they, like many of the TBMs here, would argue to the end that they have cornered the market on truth. Though you may disagree whether those belief systems provide the understanding that you believe Mormonism provides, I can assure you that they are no less convinced, and no less comforted, by their own belief system. Even as an atheist, I find more comfort in the reality of today than I do in the musings of tomorrow.

As I continue to say, whatever gets you through the night.....

Absolute truth is a weird thing. And knowing that truth can get even weirder :P

I firmly believe a few select things.

Big UP!

Lamanite

I, too, am glad your sister is doing well. And, I share the value of the gospel you expressed in the OP, having recently gone through a harrowing medical nightmare of my own when my mother experienced severe complications following her hip surgery (four months later she still has limited use of her injured leg, and requires the assistance of care-givers and therapists and even to some degree the charitable assistance Ward members, family, and friends).

Like you, though, I can respect that people of other faith traditions may find similar value in their respective religions when faced with life challenges. I am all for that--understanding that the value they may get doesn't take a way or diminish the value you and I and others derive from our faith, nor vice cersa.

I also can even understand the need for some to, in their own ways and in their own eyes, diminish your expressed value, because doing so is of value to them. To each their own.

I just wanted you to know that I was touched and edified by your thoughts, and pray for the continued improving condition of your sister.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

What I like about me and you Wade, is that our conversations always make it back to the basics. (We used to argue a lot more. Which one of us has matured? lol) And it is from those basic that I derive the most happiness.

Regarding other religions, I don't know what God's plan is for everyone, everywhere, right now. But there will come a time when every knee will bow, and every tongue confess- that Jesus is the Christ. And what follows next will be an eternally defining moment.

Big UP!!!

Lamanite

I wanted to make sure I isolated this comment for you:

Regarding other religions, I don't know what God's plan is for everyone, everywhere, right now. But there will come a time when every knee will bow, and every tongue confess- that Jesus is the Christ. And what follows next will be an eternally defining moment.

IMO, your apostasy has less to do with shades of black and white and more to do with pride.

Big UP!

Lamanite

Hello Lamanite...

I so appreciated your OP as it resonated with me... and am thankful to know your sister is doing well.

I was holding my dear mother, who had just had a massive heart attack, and I could hear the ambulance coming... when as I looked into her eyes I saw the life go from them, and I knew she had passed through the veil. Can you imagine how I felt... the turmoil of emotion... I had been inactive for 30+ years, but still held a testimony deep in my heart. As I held her, I remembered what it was like at the age of 14 to kneel with my mom, dad, and sister in the Salt Lake temple and be sealed as an eternal family. So when I knew she was gone, I also knew that I could be with her again.

Later, in the hospital chapel while waiting for the coroner to arrive (the local bishop... we were travelling... had come down and was meeting with my dad)... it was about 11:30 P.M. As I sat praying, grieving, wondering how I was ever going to get through all I would have to do to help my dad, I was given a gift from a loving Heavenly Father. My mind was opened and I was able to see my mom's face to about her shoulders... the expression on her face was one of absolute joy... she was looking upward with eyes focused on something ahead of her... joyous is the only word I can think to describe her... this "vision" lasted for about 10 seconds and then faded but I knew I would be able to do all that was required for good.

I later learned that at about the same time, 2500 miles away, my sister was laying in her front grass crying (I had called her a few minutes earlier from the hospital), when she felt mom's arms around her and heard her say "I'm all right... really all right." She felt mom's arms for a few seconds and peace filled her.

It was directly after this that I returned to Church 15 years ago...

I share this with you, Lamanite, and others here, because to me these were the gifts of a loving Heavenly Father to help us through a very difficult time. I don't need Zeezrom or Scottie or PrattCat etc etc to mock this or deride me... I know what I saw and what my sis later told me she felt. I'm perfectly confident that persons of other faiths... persons who are faithful... have had similar experiences because I know that God loves all his children... that Christ's atonement was for all of us... but it gave me the peace I needed.

But I also have confidence in the temple ordinances and in the sealing by priesthood authority of our family... and in the principles of the restored gospel.

Thank you for your post, Lamanite, and again, I'm thankful your sister is doing well.

GG

Hello Lamanite...

I so appreciated your OP as it resonated with me... and am thankful to know your sister is doing well.

I was holding my dear mother, who had just had a massive heart attack, and I could hear the ambulance coming... when as I looked into her eyes I saw the life go from them, and I knew she had passed through the veil. Can you imagine how I felt... the turmoil of emotion... I had been inactive for 30+ years, but still held a testimony deep in my heart. As I held her, I remembered what it was like at the age of 14 to kneel with my mom, dad, and sister in the Salt Lake temple and be sealed as an eternal family. So when I knew she was gone, I also knew that I could be with her again.

Later, in the hospital chapel while waiting for the coroner to arrive (the local bishop... we were travelling... had come down and was meeting with my dad)... it was about 11:30 P.M. As I sat praying, grieving, wondering how I was ever going to get through all I would have to do to help my dad, I was given a gift from a loving Heavenly Father. My mind was opened and I was able to see my mom's face to about her shoulders... the expression on her face was one of absolute joy... she was looking upward with eyes focused on something ahead of her... joyous is the only word I can think to describe her... this "vision" lasted for about 10 seconds and then faded but I knew I would be able to do all that was required for good.

I later learned that at about the same time, 2500 miles away, my sister was laying in her front grass crying (I had called her a few minutes earlier from the hospital), when she felt mom's arms around her and heard her say "I'm all right... really all right." She felt mom's arms for a few seconds and peace filled her.

It was directly after this that I returned to Church 15 years ago...

I share this with you, Lamanite, and others here, because to me these were the gifts of a loving Heavenly Father to help us through a very difficult time. I don't need Zeezrom or Scottie or PrattCat etc etc to mock this or deride me... I know what I saw and what my sis later told me she felt. I'm perfectly confident that persons of other faiths... persons who are faithful... have had similar experiences because I know that God loves all his children... that Christ's atonement was for all of us... but it gave me the peace I needed.

But I also have confidence in the temple ordinances and in the sealing by priesthood authority of our family... and in the principles of the restored gospel.

Thank you for your post, Lamanite, and again, I'm thankful your sister is doing well.

GG

I appreciate you sharing this with us. It is meaningful to mea and echoes the experiences of not a few people I know.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Archived