Is polygamy required in heaven?

doughboy

I am not really sure about this but in order for a man to make it to the highest degree in the CK does he have to be practicing polygamy there?

IF you can find a quote from an offical source stating that it is I wouldn't worry about it. As far as I know polygamy is not required. The answer to your question is no.

I don't believe so, but here's why I wouldn't care if it was:

While there are many emotional difficulties associated with the practice in this mortal life, and I have ZERO interest in such a practice being re-instated in mortality, I would think that after passing on into perfection, and having developed and obtained the Charity of Christ, that in the Resurrection in the Celestial Realm, jealousy and favoritism would not be a problem for any involved. Nobody would be forced into anything. Nobody would be degraded. Nobody would be exercising unrighteous dominion to appease carnal pleasures.

I don't believe so, but here's why I wouldn't care if it was:

While there are many emotional difficulties associated with the practice in this mortal life, and I have ZERO interest in such a practice being re-instated in mortality, I would think that after passing on into perfection, and having developed and obtained the Charity of Christ, that in the Resurrection in the Celestial Realm, jealousy and favoritism would not be a problem for any involved. Nobody would be forced into anything. Nobody would be degraded. Nobody would be exercising unrighteous dominion to appease carnal pleasures.

I couldn't have said it better and this expresses my feelings on the matter. I think we have too narrow a perspective in mortality.

I am not really sure about this but in order for a man to make it to the highest degree in the CK does he have to be practicing polygamy there?

Only if he was righteously practicing polygamy here, otherwise he would have abandoned some of his wives he was righteously married and sealed to, which wouldn't be right.

The rule is this, and the rule is based upon whether or not God has sanctioned polygamy:

If God sanctions polygamy in your day and age, and you are a man, then you have 2 choices.

1) Be open to the idea of marrying more than one woman, in righteousness, so that if God sends more than one woman your way for you to righteously marry, you will receive the additional blessings that naturally result when a righteous man has more than one wife.

2) Reject the idea that it would be righteous for you to have more than one wife (when it would be because God had sanctioned the practice of a righeous man having more than one wife), in which case you wouldn't receive as many blessings as a righteous man who has more than one wife.

A woman living in a day and age when God has sanctioned polygamy also has 2 choices, which are this:

1) Be open to the idea of marrying a righteous man even if he is already married and sealed to another woman, as long as you feel sure he is and wants to continue to be a righteous man, so that you will be able to receive the additional blessings that naturally result from having a righteous husband.

2) Reject the idea that it would be righteous for you to marry a man who already has a wife, (when it would be because God had sanctioned the practice of a righteous man having more than one wife), in which case you wouldn't receive as many blessings as you would with a righteous man who has a wife.

And btw, as you may have noticed, all of this depends on acting righteously based upon what God considers to be righteous.

Only if he was righteously practicing polygamy here, otherwise he would have abandoned some of his wives he was righteously married and sealed to, which wouldn't be right.

Quoted for truth.

Also, if you are sealed to one wife, she dies, and you are then sealed to another then yes, as far as I know you will be required to practice polygamy in heaven.

For most of us currently living the answer appears to be no.

Quoted for truth.

Also, if you are sealed to one wife, she dies, and you are then sealed to another then yes, as far as I know you will be required to practice polygamy in heaven.

For most of us currently living the answer appears to be no.

My response included that idea when I said only if he practiced polygamy here, with "here" defined as this Earth, either in the realm of mortality or in the spirit world which is also upon the face of this Earth.

In other words, this Earth is the place for us to get married, and if we're not married here, righteously, with the sanction of God, then we're not going to be married in heaven.

I think the more interesting question is why there are three degrees in the Celestial Kingdom in the first place, and what is it that people must do to attain the lower two?

I think the more interesting question is why there are three degrees in the Celestial Kingdom in the first place, and what is it that people must do to attain the lower two?

There are 3 degrees, which are 3 grand divisions of places or states of being rather than only 3 places, because there are 3 degrees when it comes to how much we want to become like our Father in heaven, even if we are willing to be obedient every commandment he gives us.

For example, one of those 3 degrees pertains to people who chose to remain single even while being obedient to every one of God's commandments, rather than get married and sealed to each other, which is pretty much the only thing that keeps them from being like our Father in heaven, who does have a spouse.

I think this is a teaching to be found in the Temple experience.

For example, one of those 3 degrees pertains to people who chose to remain single even while being obedient to every one of God's commandments, rather than get married and sealed to each other, which is pretty much the only thing that keeps them from being like our Father in heaven, who does have a spouse.

Is it only for people who remain single?

D&C 132 teaches...

15 Therefore, if a man marry him a wife in the world, and he marry her not by me nor by my word, and he covenant with her so long as he is in the world and she with him, their covenant and marriage are not of force when they are dead, and when they are out of the world; therefore, they are not bound by any law when they are out of the world.

16 Therefore, when they are out of the world they neither marry nor are given in marriage; but are appointed angels in heaven, which angels are ministering servants, to minister for those who are worthy of a far more, and an exceeding, and an eternal weight of glory.

17 For these angels did not abide my law; therefore, they cannot be enlarged, but remain separately and singly, without exaltation, in their saved condition, to all eternity; and from henceforth are not gods, but are angels of God forever and ever.

So, is this referring only to people who are obedient enough to get into the Celestial Kingdom, but when they got married on Earth they chose not to be sealed but opt for a "time only" marriage?

In the entire history of humanity, I can't imagine more than 10 people would ever fall into this category.

Is it only for people who remain single?

Yes, in the final analysis, as far as God is concerned.

They may have been married and sealed to someone at one point in their life, but in the final analysis, on the Day of Judgment, they will be single, and they'll remain single because the time and place for getting married is over. (at least according to all that God has revealed to the world, so far)

... is this (snippet from D&C 132) referring only to people who are obedient enough to get into the Celestial Kingdom, but when they got married on Earth they chose not to be sealed but opt for a "time only" marriage?

In the entire history of humanity, I can't imagine more than 10 people would ever fall into this category.

Either they married for "time only" (as far as God's law is concerned) or they didn't get married (and sealed) to anyone, preferring instead to remain single, and there are many more than you can imagine who fit into that category.

Are you aware of the fact that many Christians don't believe there is such a thing as marriage in heaven, in the sense of remaining the spouse of the one they are currently married to now?

A person has to believe it is at least possible before they can believe it can happen to them, and many people now believe that it isn't even possible, even though it really is if they will do what they need to do.

Archived