Seriously No Politics ×

The Ark had WHAT in it?

consiglieri

The Gospel Doctrine teacher's manual dealing with the Book of Joshua says the following regarding the ark of the covenant:

First, I was not aware the ark was an "altar," per se. I thought it was more of a mercy seat or atonement cover, above which God could appear. Maybe in some sense it qualified as an "altar"; I'm not sure.

Second, I thought there were three things contained in the ark of the covenant: (1) the tablets inscribed with the ten commandments; (2) a pot of manna; and, (3) Aaron's rod.

Is there any source indicating the ark also contained "sacred writings, including Moses' writings"?

Maybe I just haven't heard of this, though I note no citations in the manual for this proposition.

Any thoughts?

See Hebrews 9:4, which describes the contents of the ark of the covenant.

Also see Deut. 31:4, containing Moses's directive that the "book of the law" (written by Moses) be put in the side of the ark.

The ark itself was a wooden chest overlaid with gold. Its lid was the mercy seat.

See this article by Edward J. Brandt.

I'm unsure of its characterization as an altar. The tabernacle contained the altar of incense and the bronze altar in addition to the ark of the covenant, if the ark was indeed an altar.

The Ark is a source of unspeakable power, and it has to be researched.

The bible makes no mention of the Ark after the Babylonians sacked the temple and carted off its gold. The ark is not present in Ezra's second temple, or Herod's remodel, which was essentially a third temple.

According to the prophet Jeremiah, modern Israel will not even think about the Ark. For it is written (Jeremiah 3:16) "And it shall come to pass, when ye be multiplied and increased in the land, in those days, saith the LORD, they shall say no more, The ark of the covenant of the LORD: neither shall it come to mind: neither shall they remember it; neither shall they visit it; neither shall that be done any more."

In fact, there is evidence that God has recalled the Ark to heaven, for it is written in another place (Revelation 11:19) "And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament: and there were lightnings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail."

First, I was not aware the ark was an "altar," per se. I thought it was more of a mercy seat or atonement cover, above which God could appear. Maybe in some sense it qualified as an "altar"; I'm not sure.

An altar is any where heaven and earth meet/fuse (or God and man; or, or, or), with all that any translation or level of understanding of that principle might lead one.

Applicable here, if God was ever located at the ark (sat on it, stood above it), it's an altar.

An altar is any where heaven and earth meet/fuse (or God and man; or, or, or), with all that any translation or level of understanding of that principle might lead one.

Applicable here, if God was ever located at the ark (sat on it, stood above it), it's an altar.

The angel of the LORD (which is his avatar, such as the burning bush, or the pillar of smoke) can be located in space and time, but God himself is an omnipresent spirit. In Psalm 139 David wrote, "Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." God the Son said, "And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.

The angel of the LORD (which is his avatar, such as the burning bush, or the pillar of smoke) can be located in space and time, but God himself is an omnipresent spirit.

On the contrary, it is written (Ether 3:14-16) "Behold, I am Jesus Christ. I am the Father and the Son. . . And never have I showed myself unto man whom I have created, for never has man believed in me as thou hast. Seest thou that ye are created after mine own image? Yea, even all men were created in the beginning after mine own image. Behold, this body, which ye now behold, is the body of my spirit; and man have I created after the body of my spirit; and even as I appear unto thee to be in the spirit will I appear unto my people in the flesh."

Duet 31:26

26 Take this book of the law, and put it in the side of the ark of the covenant of the Lord your God, that it may be there for a witness against thee.

Hi, mercyngrace!

Okay, I get that Deuteronomy claims that Deuteronomy itself was placed in the ark.

But that sounds a little too convenient to me, given that 2 Kings 22 talks about the book of Deuteronomy suddenly and unexpectedly being found in the temple by a priest, and Josiah reading it, rending his clothes, and conducting a wholesale religious and political reform throughout Israel based upon this newly found, but oh-so-ancient, book.

In short, I'm not buying it.

But I do get that Deuteronomy claims that Deuteronomy itself was placed in the ark.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

Hi backatcha, Consiglieri :P

How about these verses in Exodus:

16 And thou shalt put into the ark the testimony which I shall give thee....

21 And thou shalt put the mercy seat above upon the ark; and in the ark thou shalt put the testimony that I shall give thee.

What is meant by "the testimony"? Just the two tables of the law described in 1 Kings 8:9? Nevermind. Heb. 9:4 uses "tables of the covenant" as the footnote reference for "the testimony" so it appears they are used synonymously.

Edit:

From Wiki:

In the Quran

In chapter 2 (Verse 248), the Children of Israel, at the time of Samuel and Saul, were given back the 'Tabut E Sakina' (the casket of Shekhinah) which contained remnants of the household of Musa and Harun (Moses and Aaron) carried by angels which confirmed peace and reassurance for them from their Lord. It is mentioned in the middle of the narrative of the choice of Saul to be king. The Qur'an states:

And (further) their Prophet said to them: "A Sign of his authority is that there shall come to you the Ark of the covenant, with (an assurance) therein of security (Sakina) from your Lord, and the relics left by the family of Moses and the family of Aaron, carried by angels. In this is a symbol for you if ye indeed have faith. (Qur'an 2:248)

The Islamic scholar Al Baidawi mentioned that the Sakina could be Tawrat, Books of Moses.[3] According to Al-Jalalan, the relics in the Ark were the fragments of the two tablets, rods, robes, shoes, mitres of Moses and the vase of Manna.[3] Al-Tha'alibi, in Qisas Al-Anbiya (The Stories of the Prophets), has given an earlier and later history of the Ark.

The angel of the LORD (which is his avatar, such as the burning bush, or the pillar of smoke) can be located in space and time, but God himself is an omnipresent spirit. In Psalm 139 David wrote, "Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." God the Son said, "And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.

See Hebrews 9:4, which describes the contents of the ark of the covenant.

By the time of the inauguration of the Temple, the ark only had the Ten Commandments in it.

2 Chronicles 5:10 There was nothing in the ark save the two tables which Moses put therein at Horeb, when the LORD made a covenant with the children of Israel, when they came out of Egypt.

The Ark had WHAT in it?

Two of every kind?

The Male Tablet was the first one, concerning duty to God and the Sabbath and making sure you didn't make a casual oath in God's name.

The Female Tablet was the second one, concerning love for parents, respect for the institution of marriage, life, property, and truth.

Archived