The Science of God

Olavarria

The thing I like about Dr. Gerald Schroeder is that he limits himself to the scriptures and commentaries written during pre-scientific times.

first vid

Gerald Schroeder is a scientist with over thirty years of experience in research and teaching. He earned his Bachelor's, Master's, and Doctorate degrees all at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, with his doctorate thesis being under the supervision of physics professor Robley D. Evans. This was followed by five years on the staff of the MIT physics department prior to moving to Israel, where he joined the Weizmann Institute of Science and then the Volcani Research Institute, while also having a laboratory at The Hebrew University. His Doctorate is in two fields: Earth sciences and physics.

Schroeder's formal theological training in biblical, talmudic and kabalistic interpretation includes fifteen years of study under the late Rabbi Herman Pollack, Rabbi Chaim Brovender and Rabbi Noah Weinberg, of blessed memory.

The scientific career that Schroeder chose has given him varied and often unusual experiences. In his work with nuclear disarmament, he has been present at the detonation of six atomic bombs. Work in control of radioactivity has put him hundreds of meters below ground in U.S. and foreign uranium mines. Within this research, he invented and had patented the first real time monitor for airborne alpha beta gamma emitters. The government of the People's Republic of China, during the decade before it established direct contacts with Israel, was willing to overlook his Jerusalem address and had him as a frequent advisor. He also has consulted for agencies of the governments of Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Canada, USA. Invitations for him to lecture have come from around the world. He has over 60 publications in the world's leading scientific journals on topics ranging from the radon atmosphere of the moon (in Science) to the metabolism of mother's milk (in Nutrition Reports International). The results of Schroeder's work have been reported in Time, Newsweek, Scientific American and in newspapers as far apart as Boston and Adelaide. His formal training in chemistry, physics and the Earth and planetary sciences provides the basis for the broad scientific perspective he brings to his books and lectures.

For the past twenty-five years, Dr. Schroeder has also pursued a study of ancient biblical interpretation. An ability to handle the biblical material in the original languages allows him to tap the subtle depths contained in the original texts. These nuances are often missed when working with translations. The uniqueness and success of Schroeder's approach integrating biblical and scientific knowledge is demonstrated by the success of his first book, Genesis and the Big Bang (published by Bantam Doubleday), and the wide acclaim for his second book The Science of God (published by The Free Press of Simon & Schuster and Broadway Books of Bantam Doubleday) which was on the Barnes & Noble list of non-fiction best sellers and was Amazon.com's best selling book in the field of physics/cosmology for all of 1998. This was followed by The Hidden Face of God, discovering the unity that binds all existence (published by The Free Press of Simon & Schuster). His book, God According to God, A scientist proves we've been wrong about God all along, was published in May 2009 with HarperOne and has enthusiastic endorsements by leading theologians, both Jewish and Christian, and a Noble Laureate scientist.

His books appear in 10 languages.

Gerald Schroeder lives in Jerusalem with his wife (the author, Barbara Sofer). They've had five children with a changing number of grandchildren. He moved to Israel from the USA in 1971. In addition to his current work in radiation control, he teaches at Aish HaTorah College of Jewish Studies, writes and lectures on the extraordinary confluence of modern science and ancient biblical commentary.

I bought the book a few years ago and was blown away at how mideval kabbalahists like Nahmanides interpreted Genesis. Very thought provoking stuff. To think that you can be a literalist and not surrender your brain, wow. :P

This stuff is applicable in Mormonism, because even though we know that there has been some tampering in the text(1 Nephi, KFD), the BoA and Moses parallel Genesis very closely, which is a divine admission that the tampering was mininal. Far too often us intellectual types fall back on allegorizing,which is appropriate at times. Schoreder tries to avoid it by using the control of ancient and medival commentaries. Very cool. ;)

"Heaven and earth" is a merism meaning "everything"(Classical Hebrew Poetry).

Everything that was "created" or organized from pre-existing material.

In my mind "universe" means "heaven and earth" plus all pre-existing material that was left over.

So, I still don't like the way he equates "heaven and earth" with "universe".

There is a tie-in to the idea that God created many worlds and that creation is ongoing.Some are coming into existence and some are at the end of there time with a spectrum in between.

There is still the problem of death and its entry into the world with the fall of Adam,however.

There is a tie-in to the idea that God created many worlds and that creation is ongoing.Some are coming into existence and some are at the end of there time with a spectrum in between.

I posted this earlier:

wild speculations :P

- worlds without number have I created...Moses 1:33

I think that multiple worlds can exist on the same planet.

Case in point:

1 AND I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away;

Revelation 21:1

the above is an example of a new world built on the ruins of an old world. I think we might have been built on the ruins of an older world.

As for a perfect adam/Eve/Garden etc. etc. - death came into the world through sin, the fall etc. etc.

Adam and Eve were perfect celestial beings - perfect celestial beings usually show up in the form of something like:

16 And he answered, Fear not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them.

17 And Elisha prayed, and said, LORD, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the LORD opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.

Kings 6:16 - 17

or like:

5 In the same hour came forth fingers of a man's hand, and wrote over against the candlestick upon the plaister of the wall of the king's palace: and the king saw the part of the hand that wrote.

Daniel 5:5

ie - when perfect celestial beings are around, it seems like they are in a slightly different plane of existence than we are - some people are able to see them, some are not - they are right here around us, right now, but seem to be in some different dimention or something. I think Adam/Eve/Eden started out in the same realm as the chariots of fire, and fingers that wrote on the king's wall etc. etc.

"open his eyes" - this kind of a thing is used often. They cannot always see us, we cannot always see them. When Adam/Eve first ate the fruit, their "eyes were opened"... God says "where are you Adam?" - it was as if they had passed through a veil into another place... JMO

There is still the problem of death and its entry into the world with the fall of Adam,however.

so my mind was wandering again this morning - "keep a notebook by your bed, and write down the impressions that come" - who said that? Scott? anyways ;) (no not calling this a vision or anything, line upon line, just continueing along the lines of earlier thoughts)

Adam gets first clothing of fig leaves, and then skins - what does this represent?

you know that old adage - you are what you eat? ... continue with the scenario that Adam/Eve were celestial flesh/spirit beings from the "chariots of fire" realm. That eating the fruit was the gateway for them to not only have their eyes opened to seeing into this side of the veil, but that it introduced material into their celestial bodies that initiated the change to starting to actually exist on this side of the veil... now the tree/fruit/vegetation was the first thing that was introduced into their perfect bodies - was the covering they made for themselves cloths? or was it an actual physical mantle that they took upon themselves? ie, eat the fruit, eat part of a tree, take upon themselves "fig leaves" or some kind of a tree-like mantle... So God comes into the picture "Where are you Adam" - find's they're not in the celestial realm anymore, they're on the other side of things - finds them in "fig leaves" and then says something like, ok - you made it to the other side, but I don't want you to have a body of a plant, I want you to have this body - makes them "skins"...

21 Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them.

this earthly tabernacle is described as a type of clothing:

1 FOR we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:

(New Testament | 2 Corinthians 5:1 - 2)

when we talk about "clothed upon with our house which is from heaven" we're not talking about a new jacket or something - perhaps when God said "made skins of cloths" this was not a skirt/jacket either....

So.... eat a plant, become clothed with fig leaves... eat a ... become clothed with skins....??? dark... but it makes you think that maybe there is more to this "sacrifice animals on the alter" thing, or the requirement that someone has to die to pay the price for Adam kind of thing... eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth... justice?

22 ... lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

(Old Testament | Genesis 3:21 - 22)

Eat the celestial tree, take upon ourselves the celestial mantle...

just random thoughts on how it might all work out.

only watched the first segment, I'll try and check out the rest as time permits.

Everything that was "created" or organized from pre-existing material.

In my mind "universe" means "heaven and earth" plus all pre-existing material that was left over.

So, I still don't like the way he equates "heaven and earth" with "universe".

What do you make of merismus and what it implies about "heavens and earth" being everything? Its a perfectly good hebrew idium, meaning "every thing".

What do you make of merismus and what it implies about "heavens and earth" being everything? Its a perfectly good hebrew idium, meaning "every thing".

"everything" that was CREATED (ORGANIZED), I agree 100%.

But that isn't all there is. I think there is still an infinite amount of (uncreated/unorganzed) material still unaccounted for within the "universe".

Archived