Seriously No Politics ×

Spalding's handwriting found in BoM manuscript?

All-Seeing Eye

If you want to make the proofread text available, I can

post it here:

http://www.sidneyrigdon.com/dbroadhu/UT/utahmsc3.htm

Intellectual Reserve gets antsy over reproduced copyrighted

texts that are too long -- so it would be helpful to know

approximately how many words were printed in the Church News

section that week. If Jessee is less than 10%, I think we

could get away with posting the article on the web.

The Church News is not produced by Intellectual Reserve, but by the Deseret News Publishing Co.

The Church News is not produced by Intellectual Reserve, but by the Deseret News Publishing Co.

Does that men we'd have to file an application for a legal release with

Bonneville International? That might take years to process.

The Church news of the 1970s was typically a 16 or 20 page insert.

Dr. Jessee's 3 pages would be just barely over the "fair use" limits

set by copyright convention.

I'd hazard reproducing most of his text, place prominent copyright

notices throughout the on-line transcript, and sit back and wait to

see if the Church's lawyers protested.

I tried to get web-reproduction approval for a 1949 copyrighted

article from the "Church News;" but my application was returned to

me without any reply or comment.

I went ahead in posted that transcript, regardless:

http://www.sidneyrigdon.com/dbroadhu/UT/utahmsc3.htm#031649

UD

Does that men we'd have to file an application for a legal release with

Bonneville International? That might take years to process.

No. Bonneville International, which operates the Church's commercial broadcasting entities, including, until recently, KSL Television and Radio, has no management relationship with the Deseret News. I repeat, Deseret News (and its supplement, the LDS Church News) is a product of Deseret News Publishing Co.

The Church news of the 1970s was typically a 16 or 20 page insert.

The Church News of the '70s was pretty much like it is today, a 16-page supplement except for general conference editions, when the page number is increased to 24.

Dr. Jessee's 3 pages would be just barely over the "fair use" limits

set by copyright convention.

I'd hazard reproducing most of his text, place prominent copyright

notices throughout the on-line transcript, and sit back and wait to

see if the Church's lawyers protested.

Or, you could obey the law and request permission upfront from Deseret News Publishing Co.

I tried to get web-reproduction approval for a 1949 copyrighted

article from the "Church News;" but my application was returned to

me without any reply or comment.

Maybe that's because you were following an unproductive path, trying to involve "the Church's lawyers" instead of directly contacting Deseret News Publishing Co. for permission.

I went ahead in posted that transcript, regardless:

http://www.sidneyrigdon.com/dbroadhu/UT/utahmsc3.htm#031649

Thanks for the heads-up. I may or may not alert management to your possible violation of copyright.

I may or may not alert management to your possible violation of copyright.

I'd be more concerned if you alerted the Google News Archive of Deseret News lawyers,

since they appear to have exclusive web-rights for copyrighted DN materials dated after

1930. (It would be a pain to have to replace my typescripts with their URLs.)

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=Aul-kAQHnToC&hl=en

UD

FAIR USE

Ah, let Google go ahead and sue me -- it would be good publicity.

By the way, Google's reproduction of the August 20, 1977 issue of the Deseret News

does not include the Church News insert:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=Aul-kAQHnToC&dat=19700820&printsec=frontpage

The ocr Wiki Wonka supplied earlier in this thread duplicates Dr. Jessee's section on letter

formation, beginning on page 59 of "The First Annual CES Religious Educators Symposium,"

where the Jessee article (pp. 57-68) is entitled "Solomon Spalding and the Book of Mormon."

The DN version of Jessee's report is only a much abbreviated version of the CES Symposium

Papers publication.

If anybody is serious about communicating Dr. Jessee's scholarship to the world of the web,

THAT would be the 1977 text they should reproduce.

UD

I'd be more concerned if you alerted the Google News Archive of Deseret News lawyers,

since they appear to have exclusive web-rights for copyrighted DN materials dated after

1930. (It would be a pain to have to replace my typescripts with their URLs.)

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=Aul-kAQHnToC&hl=en

UD

Nice. I had no idea that Google had this all online. They already have a scan of the entire August 20, 1977 Spalding article online here: 'Spalding theory' re-examined Its in the August 20, 1977 issue after you scroll to page 22 in the browser.

WW

Nice. I had no idea that Google had this all online. They already have a scan of the entire

August 20, 1977 Spalding article online here...

oops! I missed seeing that one!

I wonder if Scott will turn me into the Google web-police

if I post a link to that August 20, 1977 material at my site?

Better not chance it -- he's got experience encountering the

Tanners on such intellectual property infringement, I'd bet.

UD

oops! I missed seeing that one!

I wonder if Scott will turn me into the Google web-police

if I post a link to that August 20, 1977 material at my site?

Links are no problem. As I understand it, the Google archive stuff is online by arrangement with Deseret News Publishing Co.

And don't worry. I don't think anybody's going to court. It just seemed a bit brazen to me to be openly admitting on a public Internet board to possible copyright infringement.

Better not chance it -- he's got experience encountering the

Tanners on such intellectual property infringement, I'd bet.

Huh? Maybe you're confusing me with Scott Gordon. It happens occasionally, on this and other boards.

Maybe you're confusing me with Scott Gordon.

It happens occasionally, on this and other boards.

I'm sure you're both good men.

Does he get mistaken for you?

UD

Then why did Uncle Dale apply for permission in the first place?

At any rate, I'll let management make that determination.

By the way, why are you screaming? (all caps)

why would Dale ask permission, ask him. Why did I copy and use photos from a website that had "copyright" watermarked on all the photos...because the photos were being used in a educational setting and I know and respect FAIR USE, which means copyrights do not apply for the manner and use in which I used the photos.

Copyright violation is not managements decision to make, it is for the Courts. management can whine and cry all day long about copyright.

glad you pointed at the all caps as screaming....FAIR USE is definitely something to scream about, so that crybabies whining about their copyrights will get the point and start obeying the law by

1. stop filing frivolous lawsuits.

2. stop filing lawsuits filed solely simply to harass.

3. stop violating others rights by use of false DCMA take down notices.

and most importantly

4. follow the law that allows for copyriech material to be used without permission due to

. (click link to see fair use in action and to learn of the legal abuses committed by copyreich holders and before anyone complains of Goodwin Law you might want to verse yourself on Goodwin's law - it is not an absolute prohibition on using Nazis as a reference)

copyreich holders

I once produced a copyrighted periodical -- the contents of which some pirate publisher in

San Francisco ripped off and reproduced for sale, without even bothering to inform me.

So, I understand the potential harm involved in copyright violation.

I also understand that we live in a mass-digitized information age, in which media

will reproduce twenty years of sweat-soaked scholarly reporting in an instant. An age in

which archive.org and google.com automatically preserve and webcast zillions of copyrighted

items, continuously. The cat is out of the bag, I'm afraid. The djinn is out of the bottle.

I also know that the mods here routinely close down threads at the mere mention of

das Dritte Reich --- so, I'd not be surprised if suppression of your sentiments is

soon forthcoming.

UD

Archived