Mormon Racism Revealed

Daniel Peterson

Speaking as one who has several Neil Labute play scripts on my book shelves (most of which I have read) I will only say this: while he displays an undeniable talent for plot and dialogue, our ex-brother Labute (who has, as is well known, long-since renounced Mormonism) is, in my estimation, one very disturbed artist whose works I now assiduously avoid. I just don't need to litter my mind with the dark and loathsome images of which he has become so inexplicably fond, and for which he has garnered the "honors of men" in circles I would never desire to move.

My brother went to school at BYU with Neil Lebute--they were in the film program together.

He always called him Neil "Labrute". :P

He didn't like his work and I don't like his work. I think his appeal is limited.

I'm sorry he left the church, but I'm sure not surprised.

Alma's words to his son, Shiblon, come to mind:

Alma 39:11 ... Behold, O my son, how great ainiquity ye brought upon the Zoramites; for when they saw your cconduct they would not believe in my words.

Of course, he's not alone in that regard, particularly not among the "artistic" crowd. :P

Speaking as one who has several Neil Labute play scripts on my book shelves (most of which I have read) I will only say this: while he displays an undeniable talent for plot and dialogue, our ex-brother Labute (who has, as is well known, long-since renounced Mormonism) is, in my estimation, one very disturbed artist whose works I now assiduously avoid. I just don't need to litter my mind with the dark and loathsome images of which he has become so inexplicably fond, and for which he has garnered the "honors of men" in circles I would never desire to move.

I went to see his play "Reasons to be Pretty" while it was playing here in New York. It was an incredible play with what I thought to be a very powerful and positive message.

I like Labute's work because he isn't afraid to deal with "gritty" issues. "In the Company of Men", for example, was simultaneously disturbing and powerful. What's sad is that I have actually met people who are very much like Labute's un-principled characters.

Archived