Figure 5, Facsimile 2

Olavarria

zz.jpg

What did the Egyptians call this figure?

The great cow who bore the sun (??.t wr.t ms r?)(1).

What do other Egyptian texts say about this figure?

"I have seen the sun-god who was born yesterday from the buttocks of the Celestial Cow; if he be well, then I be well, and vice verse. What does it mean? It means the waters of the sky. Otherwise said: It is the image of the Eye of Re on the morning of its daily birth. As for the Celestial Cow, she is the Sacred Eye of Re."(2).

Sources

(1)John Gee, "Towards an Interpretation of Hypocephali". "Le lotus qui sort du terre": M

Figure 5

Is called in Egyptian Enish-go-on-dosh; this is one of the governing planets also, and is said by the Egyptians to be the Sun, and to borrow its light from Kolob through the medium of Kae-e-vanrash, which is the grand Key, or, in other words, the governing power, which governs fifteen other fixed planets or stars, as also Floeese or the Moon, the Earth and the Sun in their annual revolutions. This planet receives its power through the medium of Kli-flos-is-es, or Hah-ko-kau-beam, the stars represented by numbers 22 and 23, receiving light from the revolutions of Kolob.

The above translation is given as far as we have any right to give at the present time.

And Hugh Nibley has also added to this theme of the cow being the sun in his new book "One Eternal Round." I shall have to get it out another time and quote it. It's really astounding. WHO west of Nigeria would have ***EVER*** guessed a cow represents the sun, of all things in Joseph's day? Let alone the two baboon/apes in Fac 2, fig 1 being the stars. But such they are. I spoke of this in the Family Home Evening lecture at the University of Utah group last monday evening in Salt Lake City. I shall have vids up this weekend on it.

In other words,the answer might be both.

It's as simple as the difference between allegory and symbol: in an allegory item "A" is always a stand-in for item "B." With symbols, item "A" can be many things. You're supposed to use your noodle to make connections between "A" and various items in the story presented. This is something our Evie friends, by and large, don't get. They're far too literal, demanding that every symbol stand for one and only one thing. This is why they can't get that Facsimile 3's players can be many things at the same time.

Thus Hathor can be she who bears the sun as well as the Sun herself in the instant discussion.

And, in Facsimile 3, Ma'at can be both herself and the crown prince of Egypt, since representing him in such a way means, at very least, that he is imbued with the spirit of Ma'at, the divine mean.

Archived