Seriously No Politics ×

13th Century BCE Gold Tablet with Cuneiform Writing

maklelan

Some might find this interesting. A small gold tablet with cuneiform writing on it that was discovered in the early 20th century has been discovered among the possessions of a Holocaust survivor after missing from a German museum since the war. A court ruled the museum can't take it back. The story is here.

gold_tablet.jpg

Don't see why we're talking about cuneiform plates.

Are you saying that the BoM was written in cuneiform?

Show me gold plates written in Reformed Egyptian and you've got something.

And the plate is far too small.

And there's only one of 'em. No rings.

Some might find this interesting. A small gold tablet with cuneiform writing on it that was discovered in the early 20th century has been discovered among the possessions of a Holocaust survivor after missing from a German museum since the war. A court ruled the museum can't take it back. The story is here.

gold_tablet.jpg

Its interesting, given the Jaredite's mesopotamian roots.

Don't see why we're talking about cuneiform plates.

Are you saying that the BoM was written in cuneiform?

Show me gold plates written in Reformed Egyptian and you've got something.

And the plate is far too small.

And there's only one of 'em. No rings.

Well, well, well... What have we here ??

To me this is extremely important because up until now CUNEIFORM was thought to be written ONLY on CLAY. This finding, obviously, proves this "belief" wrong. Science, science...!!!

Amo

I think the implication and lines of reasoning, at least to the dogmatic-true-believer part of my mind, is something like:

1. ancient people did write on plates of gold

2. this makes the Book of Mormon story "plausible".

3. "plausible" is better than "possible"

4. and that's just a step below certain

5. and because the Spirit tells me it's true this "plausibility" is just icing on the cake

6. which proves that the whole Joseph Smith & Mormonism story is true.

The other part of my mind wonders why God didn't insist on that little gold plate the size of a Tic-tac box also being taken back to Kolob.

The other part of my mind wonders why God didn't insist on that little gold plate the size of a Tic-tac box also being taken back to Kolob.

Because he doesn't follow asinine, obnoxious anti-Mormon mockery?

Because he doesn't follow asinine, obnoxious anti-Mormon mockery?

Come on, volga . . . my asinine, obnoxious, anti-Mormon mockery was far more successfully executed, n'est-ce pas?

To me this is extremely important because up until now CUNEIFORM was thought to be written ONLY on CLAY. This finding, obviously, proves this "belief" wrong. Science, science...!!!

Amo

Although examples have been found written in Phoenician and ancient Persian at Perspolis.

cuneiform_large.jpg

I think the implication and lines of reasoning, at least to the dogmatic-true-believer part of my mind, is something like:

5. and because the Spirit tells me it's true this "plausibility" is just icing on the cake

No its more like:

1)ancient mesopotamians occasionally wrote on gold plates

2)The jaredites originated in mesopotamia and did the same

3)Hey, thats kinda neat.

Nothing more, nothing less.

I think its wierd how som epeople see the OP and have this knee jerk reaction. "this doesnt prove anything, this doesn't prove anything".

No one said it does, sheesh.

I would disagree that "possible" is just below "certain" as you state in #4. I can rattle off any number of things that are certainly possible but are far from certain. In fact, I would argue that there is a huge gap between possible and certain, though you are correct, maybe the gap is not as wide in the mind of the "dogmatic-true-believer", whether that believer is dogmatic about their religious belief or their disbelief.

No its more like:

3)Hey, thats kinda neat.

I think its wierd how som epeople see the OP and have this knee jerk reaction. "this doesnt prove anything, this doesn't prove anything".

No one said it does, sheesh.

Actually all it proves is that ancient people did write on gold plates. That is it. But I do agree with the knee jerk reaction that some have. And then they make magical lists that are really just a red herring.

Actually, I find the responses to the OP far more interesting.

As noted, all it really proves is that there were civilizations anciently that wrote on gold plates - along with other materials.

Yet, it's fun to find the critics suddenly falling all over themselves with various approaches to dismiss this as relevant to anything.

Can't let anything that even remotely appears to possibly support Mormonism - even when it's not claimed as such - have any credibility at all, can we. One wonders if deep down inside, the critics suddenly saw the possible links, and had to work fast to play them down.

Very instructive.

Yet, it's fun to find the critics suddenly falling all over themselves with various approaches to dismiss this as relevant to anything.

Can't let anything that even remotely appears to possibly support Mormonism - even when it's not claimed as such - have any credibility at all, can we. One wonders if deep down inside, the critics suddenly saw the possible links, and had to work fast to play them down.

CFR. Who are the critics "falling all over themselves"?

Amo

Yes, but my suspicions are that since this is the only gold tablet found out of all the artifacts. Guarantee that it will be called a forgery and come under scrutiny.

No its more like:

3)Hey, thats kinda neat.

There is more. It is just another example of the antis being dead wrong. Someone needs to make a list of the "discovering has all been done" mockery that has backfired on them. It would give some needed perspective as they point their finger somewhere else without ever acknowleging that they have been wrong.

What I find most surprising about this is that it wasn't returned to the museum. That is a real shame.

There is more. It is just another example of the antis being dead wrong. Someone needs to make a list of the "discovering has all been done" mockery that has backfired on them.

Does anyone actually claim that the "discovering has all been done"?

There is more. It is just another example of the antis being dead wrong. Someone needs to make a list of the "discovering has all been done" mockery that has backfired on them. It would give some needed perspective as they point their finger somewhere else without ever acknowleging that they have been wrong.

What I find most surprising about this is that it wasn't returned to the museum. That is a real shame.

Once again with the CFR. Can you supply any reference to an anti-Mormon arguing the Cuneiform writing would only occur on clay tablets?

It seems that this thread is a celebration of some kind of vindication, but I am left wondering, vindication of what?

Archived