Seriously No Politics ×

Facsimile 1 & 2

Olavarria

Where the lioncouch scene and/or elements of hypocephali associated with Abraham during the Greco-Roman Period?

Lioncouch scene

lpext.jpg

... AIDIO ORICH THAMBITO, Abraham who at...PLANOIEGCHIBIOTH MOU ROU and the whole soul for her, NN [whom NN bore]... the female body of her, NN [whom NN bore], I conjure by the... [and] to inflame her, NN whom [NN bore] [Write these] words together with this picture [the lion couch vignette] on a new papyrus.

Hypocephali

The phrase "Abraham, pupil of the wd3t eye" is found on an Egyptian magical papyrus(1). The same spell also makes reference to the "soul of souls",figure 4 on the JS Hypocephalus(2).

The reason this is so interesting is because the pupil of the wedjat-eye is the god associated with the hypocephalus. On the rim of hypocephalus B.M. 8445 we read: ink pr m wd3t ink p[w] dfd=s"I am he who came from the wedjat-eye; I am its pupil."

Where the lioncouch scene and/or elements of hypocephali associated with Abraham during the Greco-Roman Period?

YES

One papyrus made by ancient egyptian priest explicitly connects Abraham to the lioncouch scene and another text connects him with figure 4 on fac2 and hypocephali in general by an association with the "pupil of the wedjat eye".

Notes

(1)The Greek Magical Papyri in Translation, Including the Demotic Spells, Volume 1

2d edition

YES

One papyrus made by ancient egyptian priest explicitly connects Abraham to the lioncouch scene and another text connects him with figure 4 on fac2 and hypocephali in general by an association with the "pupil of the wedjat eye".

Well I don't know about anyone else, but I am impressed. Very interesting!

Bump

I think its pretty cool too. It doesn't "prove" Joseph was a prophet. But its still a nice connection.

I don't think that THAT was in the Palmyra library! :P

Finally finished "One Eternal Round" a bit ago (except for the final chapter on geometry, which I found particularly dense and will have to read at a time when my sinuses are not trying to kill me).

The name Sheshonq appears on Facsimile 2. This is probably the name of a priest, but it is also the name of several pharaohs. Notably, some Egyptologists - but not all - have argued that Sheshonq I's inscription on/at Karnak contains a reference to the Field of Abram. (pp.567-68)

Of course, that particular Sheshonq lived a long time after the time Abraham is believed to have lived, so the value of this is questionable.

Just throwing that out there....causing trouble...we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Archived