Seriously No Politics ×

Hugh Nibley's Book "One Eternal Round" is HERE!

e=mc2

Just received my copy yesterday.... just finished reading this 650 page magnum opus tonight..... utterly ***INCREDIBLY*** stellar, interesting, and simply breath taking to read.........I will be producing many a video on this lil baby......... If you DON'T purchase this text, you cheat yourselves. THANK YOU Michael D. Rhodes for spending 4 years of your life making sure this magnificent publication did not become obscure. It's a feather in your cap.

Just received my copy yesterday.... just finished reading this 650 page magnum opus tonight..... utterly ***INCREDIBLY*** stellar, interesting, and simply breath taking to read.........I will be producing many a video on this lil baby......... If you DON'T purchase this text, you cheat yourselves. THANK YOU Michael D. Rhodes for spending 4 years of your life making sure this magnificent publication did not become obscure. It's a feather in your cap.

O.K., since no one else is saying anything, but at least a few are looking, I'll add that it is, of all the books Nibley ever wrote, my favorite. He brings in Alchemy, Hermeticism, Kabbalah, Free Masonry, the Tabula Smaragdina (parallels to the hypocephalus are absolutely STUNNING!) many ascension literatures, Sacred Geometry, and ALL in *favorable* lights!!! No joke, this was unlike much of his other themes wherein he downplayed things in order to elevate something else. In this book, IT IS ALL GOOD. Absolutely stunning. This is the wake up call to we LDS to broaden our views, open our minds, and get more serious about learning far more than in our own tradition and culture. It really is vintage Nibley with a vengeance. He is saying HEY LDS, don't you think it is time to take others serious instead of only ourselves and our view of truth and religion? I really believe he takes the roof off the house with this astonishing book. Only Nibley could have pulled this off. Now if we will just take the clue and run with it. We don't do very well with the clue that Joseph Smith gave us about learning the Biblical languages, perhaps Nibley can nudge us a bit more? We appear to be sleep walking through an awful lot, and all this stuff is prophesied to come forth. To the critics Nibley is simply destroying your objections. Course, you won't agree with me on this, but he is anyway. Wow are we *all* behind or what?! None of us can claim knowledge now if we ignore this. Well, I mean we can claim it, but those who read it and get it will see the hollowness of such an claim. Trust me, you WANT to read this, friend and foe alike.

What is the main thrust of the book?

The main thrust is the vastness of the cosmological aspects of the Book of Abraham and the Gospel and our place in the cosmos. The Egyptian understanding is far more intellectually inspiring and spiritually riveting than anyone has supposed. The scientific, mathematical, religious, and cultural aspects of religion in general are powerfully demonstrated in the Hypocephalus as well as many other venues of graphic representations of reality from the ancient world. One thing that I found particularly arresting was his analysis of Sacred Geometric constructions concerning the hypocephalus. O.K., one nifty insight (amongst thousands in his book(s)) that I will share quickly...... his sacred geometry of the hypocephalus is simply one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen with the Book of Abraham facsimiles. Sacred geometry is a serious study of mine, and this was just revelatory from beginning to end! One thing that he does which is pure delightful is SHOW how and why our hypocephalus (as opposed to all the others) is separated in the compartments that it is, and why it has the horizontals the way it does, in an odd thirds arrangement. It is because of the way the golden rectangle perfectly fits on the hypocephalus right alongside and next to the golden spiral all IN ONE geometric figure. It makes the goose bumps show up on my arms! Truly DELIGHTFUL! Fully illustrated on pages 606 and 607, and 608. With the explanations also.

This looks like a summer book. Though my summer book availability is filling up pretty fast. I think I will put off reading Ulysses a little bit longer.

How much math is required to appreciate and enjoy his insights?

In other words, would a severely discalculic individual such as myself want to part with $44 dollars for the book?

No math is needed at all whatever. Just know and understand how to read English (the German, French, Hieroglyphic, Hebrew, and Greek are minimal and obvious).....

This looks like a summer book. Though my summer book availability is filling up pretty fast. I think I will put off reading Ulysses a little bit longer.

Good as Ulysses is, this I would say is vastly more important, interesting, stimulating, and worth a summer read.........

He brings in Alchemy, Hermeticism, Kabbalah, Free Masonry, the Tabula Smaragdina (parallels to the hypocephalus are absolutely STUNNING!) many ascension literatures, Sacred Geometry, and ALL in *favorable* lights!!!

Yes, yes, but what about the Aboriginal rock art of the Olary region? I'm just not sure if I could take the book seriously unless he's got some of that in there.

Yeah well, I haven't done it justice, I assure you........ it's worth every penny.

You read it in one day!? Gee...just change my name to Ketchup (Catch Up) and hand me the book.

You read it in one day!? Gee...just change my name to Ketchup (Catch Up) and hand me the book.

Well, not really just one day, more like two evenings, even though they were within the same 24 hour period.......... I am half way through it again, and making videos of some of the themes already as well.........so much work to do, so little time.....sigh........

very tempting. but I would like to read some reviews first.

I met Hugh Nibley briefly once-- when I built a storage shed with my children at a friend's rental right next door to Nibley's very modest home at the bottom of the BYU hill. He seemed very intelligent and yet also humble-- something very hard to fake.

Richard

Well... I visited a local Deseret Books today to check out the new volume. After thumbing through it for 20+ minutes, I decided against buying it. Lots of interesting info and insights, but the Nibley methodology (leapfrogging/ignoring migration paths, disassociating the Church from freemasonry and folkmagic, etc.) seemed too problematic to warrant paying the $50. I may still eventually get it. But if I do, I

I have my copy now, and will begin reading it. I expect it to be an educational foray with lots of leaps and bounds about into different material, exposing me to a whole new world. Should be fun!

Thank you for all of your comments!

I just got the book in Spain, on Tuesday. I have read the first 4 chapters and the last one on geometry. It is worthwhile and I agree that is more accesible than other of his books. My commendation to Rhodes for his great work and all the others that have contributed as well. Each chapter should be a whole book, this book is more of a door to open fields of study and reflection. It looks more like a summary or a synthesis of fascinating and deep subjects. One misses a deeper and more extensive treatment on several topics (like relativity physics in the treatment of Kolob, the relationship of the hypocephali to euclidean and non-euclidean geometries, the golden number, modern cosmology, etc.). I wish they would publish on the web the whole set of files Nibley produced (probably thousand of pages no doubt) for free access to all those wishing to study in depth this work of his. One feels the book is just a window on each subject. However is of great value and concentrates and stimulates your mind like very few books do.

I suggest some books to enhance the wealth of this work. It is by no means the only or best list, it is just one way of pointing to further study.

- General: Nibley

Well... I visited a local Deseret Books today to check out the new volume. After thumbing through it for 20+ minutes, I decided against buying it. Lots of interesting info and insights, but the Nibley methodology (leapfrogging/ignoring migration paths, disassociating the Church from freemasonry and folkmagic, etc.) seemed too problematic to warrant paying the $50. I may still eventually get it. But if I do, I

It is really significant that the latest book of Umberto Eco (Lists) starts his first chapter with Achilles' shield and explanations on it, and the latest book of Roger Penrose (The Road to Reality) finishes up with a tale on the green light effect related to research on quantum gravity (what a happy coincidence!)

It is really significant that the latest book of Umberto Eco (Lists) starts his first chapter with Achilles' shield and explanations on it, and the latest book of Roger Penrose (The Road to Reality) finishes up with a tale on the green light effect related to research on quantum gravity (what a happy coincidence!)

• 3 weeks later...

So, following Mike's example, I stopped by Deseret Books today to take a look at Nibley's new book. I read the chapter entitled Kaballah and skimmed through the rest of the volume. There are interesting thoughts and information, but the book left me with some serious reservations.

Among the problems are numerous faulty interpretations of Hebrew- two examples that I can remember off-hand are translating olam as worlds and rendering the Aramaic term baraytha as the Hebrew word 'creation, or having a chapter entitled Kabbalah when it really deals mostly with the Sefer Yetzirah, a minor quibble, but not without significance; Nibley's dependance on Aryeh Kaplan's commentary on the SY; the use of 16th century kabbalistic innovations such as the 'breaking of the vessels', basically no regard for historic developement of Jewish mysticism; dodgy assertions on the SY, and a host of other problems I hope to tackle when I get a chance to read the book again and in greater depth.

None of this should be taken as me deingrating Nibley, not at all, I just feel his treatment is lacking on many planes.

So, following Mike's example, I stopped by Deseret Books today to take a look at Nibley's new book. I read the chapter entitled Kaballah and skimmed through the rest of the volume. There are interesting thoughts and information, but the book left me with some serious reservations.

Among the problems are numerous faulty interpretations of Hebrew- two examples that I can remember off-hand are translating olam as worlds and rendering the Aramaic term baraytha as the Hebrew word 'creation, or having a chapter entitled Kabbalah when it really deals mostly with the Sefer Yetzirah, a minor quibble, but not without significance; Nibley's dependance on Aryeh Kaplan's commentary on the SY; the use of 16th century kabbalistic innovations such as the 'breaking of the vessels', basically no regard for historic developement of Jewish mysticism; dodgy assertions on the SY, and a host of other problems I hope to tackle when I get a chance to read the book again and in greater depth.

None of this should be taken as me deingrating Nibley, not at all, I just feel his treatment is lacking on many planes.

I'm afraid I didn't like Mike's off-the-cuff brushoff, but that's neither here nor there.

I had trouble with the later chapters, such as those dealing with the Sefer Yetzirah. I don't know much about that, so I have no standard to judge.

I did like the earlier chapters; I've read some of the various Ascension texts, like the three books of Enoch and the Martyrdom and Ascension of Isaiah, so I had an easier time seeing and understanding what was being said. I did, though, have the feeling of being, mmm, herded I guess, towards one particular interpretation. It was an interesting interpretation, mind, but I have the urge to go back and check. Unfortunately I cannot read these books in their original languages, only in translation, so I'm a bit limited there.

I should clarify; I agree with what was being said about the ascension texts, but I'd like to re-read them to refresh my mind, and I'm not sure about the tie-ins or relationships made with the Book of the Dead. (I admit freely to being a layman, and that I may be putting my own modern spin on things because I don't have the appropriate cultural contexts to work from.)

Still, all in all an interesting read, and well worth the money. I enjoyed it immensely, overall.

Archived