The chains of hell

Olavarria

Nephi and Jacob both describe the pain of the wicked as a hell and associate it with fire.

In several places in the BoM we find the phrase "chains of hell".The phrase is only used by Alma Jr. and Ammon.

Alma 26:14

14)Yea, we have reason to praise him forever, for he is the Most High God, and has loosed our brethren from the chains of hell.

Alma 13:30

30)And may the Lord grant unto you repentance, that ye may not bring down his wrath upon you, that ye may not be bound down by the chains of hell, that ye may not suffer the second death.

Alma 12:11

11)And they that will harden their hearts, to them is given the lesser aportion of the word until they bknow nothing concerning his mysteries; and then they are taken captive by the devil, and led by his will down to destruction. Now this is what is meant by the chains of hell.

Looking at the Hebrew, "chain" when reffering to jewellry is rabiyd(??????), Genesis 41:42.

Howver, ziyqah(??????) refers to chains that bind(psalm 149:8, Isaiah 45:14, Nahum 3;10), sparks(KJV Isaiah 50:11) and firebrands(Proverbs 26:18)

So, given that the Nephite prophets, starting with Nephi and Jacob, believed in a fiery hell(literal or figurative) it seems like Alma is punning in his phrase "chains of hell" for in Hebrew "ziqyah" means chains and firebrand.

I'm going to look into chains as used in the BoM and the KJV, if nothing else, a diverting excersize.

Hey, Ive given up on the OP hahaha.

Mosiah 13:3

3)Touch me not, for God shall smite you if ye lay your hands upon me, for I have not delivered the message which the Lord sent me to deliver; neither have I told you that which ye requested that I should tell; therefore, God will not suffer that I shall be destroyed at this time.

This verse is interesting from a Hebraic perspective. In Hebrew, ntn(?????) means deliver,delivered(Isaiah 29:11,12), sent(Exodus 9:23, 2 Samuel 24:15) and suffer(Exodus 12:23, Numbers 21:23). Now, the correlation between deliver and suffer is obvious. Less obvious is the thematic correlation between Hebrew ntn and sent.

In the Bible, ntn is rendered as sent when God sends a calamity such as pestilance or hail upon the people. Abinadi was sent by God and he cursed the posterity of Noah's priests and the curse was fullfilled. From this view, Abinadi doesn't just predict an impending calamity; Abinadi is the calamity.

You have heard of Ties that bind? Well chains are whatever that binds us to a vice or wrong desire etc. Habits, are chains, also are lusts not mastered are chains. How many chains one has, depends on the weaknesses of the person. Deceptions and Illusions are also chains of Satan. The whole world is deceived except for the Elect.

Mark 5:4 - Because that he had been often bound with fetters and chains, and the chains had been plucked asunder by him, and the fetters broken in pieces: neither could any man tame him.

What the Ancients knew and when they were given certain knowledge is not always clear. They were under commandment of God to be discrete with the greater truths of heaven. A good example is Jacob, after His encounter with the Lord marveled that he was still alive after seeing Him face to face.

As for hell it is torments and the torments come when our Conscience is seared by the Light of Christ...and this causes us to burn up even in the flesh. Paul for example is a good example what happens when a person who is not clean comes into contact with the Light of Christ. Paul fell to the earth blinded and having no strength. He began to be sick with fevers even unto Death. And Paul would have died of it had the Lord not commanded certain Apostles to go and minister to him.

Peace be unto you

bert10

Nephi and Jacob both describe the pain of the wicked as a hell and associate it with fire.

In several places in the BoM we find the phrase "chains of hell".The phrase is only used by Alma Jr. and Ammon.

Alma 26:14

14)Yea, we have reason to praise him forever, for he is the Most High God, and has loosed our brethren from the chains of hell.

Alma 13:30

30)And may the Lord grant unto you repentance, that ye may not bring down his wrath upon you, that ye may not be bound down by the chains of hell, that ye may not suffer the second death.

Alma 12:11

11)And they that will harden their hearts, to them is given the lesser aportion of the word until they bknow nothing concerning his mysteries; and then they are taken captive by the devil, and led by his will down to destruction. Now this is what is meant by the chains of hell.

Looking at the Hebrew, "chain" when reffering to jewellry is rabiyd(??????), Genesis 41:42.

Howver, ziyqah(??????) refers to chains that bind(psalm 149:8, Isaiah 45:14, Nahum 3;10), sparks(KJV Isaiah 50:11) and firebrands(Proverbs 26:18)

So, given that the Nephite prophets, starting with Nephi and Jacob, believed in a fiery hell(literal or figurative) it seems like Alma is punning in his phrase "chains of hell" for in Hebrew "ziqyah" means chains and firebrand.

Archived