Another Bull's-Eye for the Book of Moses?

consiglieri

In doing some Gospel Principles prep for next Sunday, I was reading some Old Testament pseudepigrapha last night and happened upon an interesting correspondence between the Book of Moses and the Sibylline Oracles.

The Book of Moses includes the following extrabiblical detail regarding Noah's preaching the gospel of repentance before the Flood:

Moses 8:19 And the Lord ordained Noah after his own order, and commanded him that he should go forth and declare his Gospel unto the children of men, even as it was given unto Enoch.

20 And it came to pass that Noah called upon the children of men that they should repent; but they hearkened not unto his words;

The Sibylline Oracles, Book I v. 155 is a "pretty" close match:

[154b]Single among all men, most just and true,

[155] Was the most faithful Noah, full of care

For noblest works. And to him God himself

From heaven thus spoke: "Noah, be of good cheer

In thyself and to all the people preach

Repentance, so that they may all be saved.

Any thoughts?

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

Consiglieri,

The "bull's-eye" to which you refer is entirely explicable in terms of Joseph Smith's access to the Bible (2 Peter 2:5).

????

2 Pet 2:5 And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;

Are you equating "preacher of righteousness" with "declare his Gospel"/calling upon them to "repent"?

Are you equating "preacher of righteousness" with "declare his Gospel"/calling upon them to "repent"?
Yes, he is. And I think it's a valid equation for someone to make.

Sorry, Consig. Glad to see you're reading Pseudepigrapha, though :P

Hardly a bulls-eye. It's just as likely that the author of this Oracle came up with this independently; it's not as if it's an astounding concept.

If it were a bulls-eye, are we to assume that the Sibylline Oracles, a late collection of texts, preserved the ancient tradition that Noah preached repentance? Not in my opinion.

In doing some Gospel Principles prep for next Sunday, I was reading some Old Testament pseudepigrapha last night and happened upon an interesting correspondence between the Book of Moses and the Sibylline Oracles.

The Book of Moses includes the following extrabiblical detail regarding Noah's preaching the gospel of repentance before the Flood:

The Sibylline Oracles, Book I v. 155 is a "pretty" close match:

Any thoughts?

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

Maybe you could have a little more exposition. Does "repent" in this source mean from the sins that are going to cause the flood, or in the general sense of anyone and everyone invited to come to God? Does "saved" mean from the flood or in the spiritual sense? That quote could be consistent with the Mormon belief that Christianity has more or less always existed from Adam and Eve forward and that Noah knew about Jesus and repentance and baptism, etc. But it could also just mean that Noah was preaching to everyone to stop being evil so there wouldn't be a flood. Do you have some more information about this source?

Hardly a bulls-eye. It's just as likely that the author of this Oracle came up with this independently; it's not as if it's an astounding concept.

If it were a bulls-eye, are we to assume that the Sibylline Oracles, a late collection of texts, preserved the ancient tradition that Noah preached repentance? Not in my opinion.

You will note the presence of a question mark rather than an exclamation point in the title.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

Consiglieri,

The "bull's-eye" to which you refer is entirely explicable in terms of Joseph Smith's access to the Bible (2 Peter 2:5).

That's unlikely. In Joseph Smith's texts (Book of Mormon, Abraham, Moses/JST), there is no problem with directly quoting the KJV, and there's no pattern of reinterpreting things using different words. Compare, for example, Moses 1:1 with Matthew 4:8 (phrase "exceeding(ly) high mountain"), and Moses 1:6 with John 1:14 ("full of grace and truth").

Again, the idea of Noah preaching repentance isn't mind-blowing. It's just as likely that, were Joseph Smith the author of the text, he came up with it independently.

You will note the presence of a question mark rather than an exclamation point in the title.

I'm just glad to see the <Bulls Eye?> thread making a return. It's been a while, and though I never thought I'd say it, I think I've missed them a bit.

Cheers.

Yes, he is. And I think it's a valid equation for someone to make.

I just want to make sure that Rob (being an Evangelical and an ardent anti-Mormon) is equating the doctrine of repentance with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. That's all.

I'm just glad to see the <Bulls Eye?> thread making a return. It's been a while, and though I never thought I'd say it, I think I've missed them a bit.

Cheers.

Thanks, Krose!

I appreciate the kind words. For the record (once again), I put a question mark at the end of the thread title because I am not convinced that this is a bull's-eye in the strict sense of the word, and I am loathe to reinforce the perception that I see bull's-eyes hiding behind every tree.

This one may have just winged the target at the outer corner.

I am glad that Rob is willing to give Joseph Smith credit for a knowledge of the Bible sufficiently thorough to note the Peter reference about Noah being a preacher of righteousness, and then to expand upon it in a way that ends up corresponding to the Sibylline Oracle.

It is certainly possible, and I am willing to concede that; I am just not sure I am convinced that Joseph Smith's knowledge of the Bible was encyclopedic, and it seems that critics are willing to cede Joseph Smith any human powers, however fantastic, so long as they don't have to countenance the possibility of his possessing any superhuman powers. :P

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

Archived