Seriously No Politics ×

Lehi speaking to the children of Laman

Let_Us_Reason

In 2 Nephi 4 starting at verse 3, Lehi gathers together the children of Laman and says something pretty remarkable to them in verse 5:

"...for behold, I know that if ye are brought up in the way you should go ye will not depart from it."

These scriptures stood out to me when I was reading them the other day because of what eventually happens to Laman and Lemuel. Lehi KNOWS that children brought up in the right way will not depart from it. At this time, Lehi could see the rebelliousness of Laman and Lemuel up to that point. That he would still say what he said is rather interesting don't you think?

What do you think of what Lehi said to his grandchildren?

(This isn't some GOTCHA! post; I'm wondering what you think of Lehi's teaching here and maybe extrapolate it to members in our own day that have either become inactive or left the church while growing up in it.)

I actually suspect something of the sort, USU.

Yes, Lehi must've suffered terribly from guilt over what he might have done differently with the older boys . . . or guilty conscience because of a misspent youth himself.

Must we suppose Lehi was the Tsaddiq from childhood on?

Self-reproach, maybe?

That is definitely one way of looking at it; pretty valid way, too.

If we do take that idea further, he's telling this to his grandchildren that are most certainly going to be raised in a way by Laman and Lemuel that is contrary to what Lehi would teach.

It seems like a lot more is happening here then we are able to read on the written page.

In 2 Nephi 4 starting at verse 3, Lehi gathers together the children of Laman and says something pretty remarkable to them in verse 5:

"...for behold, I know that if ye are brought up in the way you should go ye will not depart from it."

These scriptures stood out to me when I was reading them the other day because of what eventually happens to Laman and Lemuel. Lehi KNOWS that children brought up in the right way will not depart from it. At this time, Lehi could see the rebelliousness of Laman and Lemuel up to that point. That he would still say what he said is rather interesting don't you think?

What do you think of what Lehi said to his grandchildren?

(This isn't some GOTCHA! post; I'm wondering what you think of Lehi's teaching here and maybe extrapolate it to members in our own day that have either become inactive or left the church while growing up in it.)

"I should leave a blessing upon you; for behold, I know that if ye are brought up in the way ye should go ye will not depart from it": Lehi felt compelled to leave a blessing upon them, because he knew that if he did (and in so doing, doing his part to bring them up in the way they should go), they will not depart from it (at some point if not in this life, then the next).

"Wherefore, if ye are cursed, behold, I leave my blessing upon you, that the cursing may be taken from you and be answered upon the heads of your parents": He is "bringing them up", in a limited way, with this blessing, to know that the curse will be answered upon the heads of those who did not bring them up in the way they should go.

"Wherefore, because of my blessing the Lord God will not suffer that ye shall perish; wherefore, he will be merciful unto you and unto your seed forever:" He is "bringing them up", in a limited way, with this blessing, to know that the Lord will be merciful to them and their seed forever despite those who did not bring them up in the way they should go.

The timing of the dawning of this realization or knowledge of the blessings by his grandchildren is not specified; some would realize it in this life, others in the next. But the gist of it is that he knows that, had or if their parents brought them up right, they would not depart from the true way; and in his blessing he is trying to bring them up right (in the long run) with the two promises (removal of the curse, not perishing and knowing mercy).

Lehi's blessing was limited to the offspring of Laman; people who are raised well in the Church but who fall away may or may not fall within the scope of the blessing. But let's say a modern descendant of Laman is brought up right and departs from the way--the curse had been clearly lifted in the case of the righteous parents, but if the blessing is rejected by the rebellious child, then the child has no such promise: Lehi's blessing does deliver the righteous parent as promised, but the blessing does not apply to unrighteous children of those righteous seed of Laman who had been once delivered from unrighteous parents and went on to raise their children in the way they should go.

"I should leave a blessing upon you; for behold, I know that if ye are brought up in the way ye should go ye will not depart from it": Lehi felt compelled to leave a blessing upon them, because he knew that if he did (and in so doing, doing his part to bring them up in the way they should go), they will not depart from it (at some point if not in this life, then the next).

"Wherefore, if ye are cursed, behold, I leave my blessing upon you, that the cursing may be taken from you and be answered upon the heads of your parents": He is "bringing them up", in a limited way, with this blessing, to know that the curse will be answered upon the heads of those who did not bring them up in the way they should go.

"Wherefore, because of my blessing the Lord God will not suffer that ye shall perish; wherefore, he will be merciful unto you and unto your seed forever:" He is "bringing them up", in a limited way, with this blessing, to know that the Lord will be merciful to them and their seed forever despite those who did not bring them up in the way they should go.

The timing of the dawning of this realization or knowledge of the blessings by his grandchildren is not specified; some would realize it in this life, others in the next. But the gist of it is that he knows that, had or if their parents brought them up right, they would not depart from the true way; and in his blessing he is trying to bring them up right (in the long run) with the two promises (removal of the curse, not perishing and knowing mercy).

Lehi's blessing was limited to the offspring of Laman; people who are raised well in the Church but who fall away may or may not fall within the scope of the blessing. But let's say a modern descendant of Laman is brought up right and departs from the way--the curse had been clearly lifted in the case of the righteous parents, but if the blessing is rejected by the rebellious child, then the child has no such promise: Lehi's blessing does deliver the righteous parent as promised, but the blessing does not apply to unrighteous children of those righteous seed of Laman who had been once delivered from unrighteous parents and went on to raise their children in the way they should go.

Thanks for the post.

I'm wondering what the self-reproach posters think of your ideas above (if they decide to post again). Thanks for the thought-out response.

I think as CV75 has indicated this was a personal message to Lehi's grandchildren. He know their hearts and that if they were raised righteously they would remain faithful. This brings up an interesting thought for many children who are not raised by righteous parents and what responsibility falls on them as a result and what falls on the parents.It also brings up another question as to whether there are certain spirits who will lean toward righteousness and all they need is the righteous upbringing to make sure they stay that way.

This brings up an interesting thought for many children who are not raised by righteous parents and what responsibility falls on them as a result and what falls on the parents.It also brings up another question as to whether there are certain spirits who will lean toward righteousness and all they need is the righteous upbringing to make sure they stay that way.

Ever the optimist, my take is that while children who are raised righteously cannot depart from the way (they will always have that commitment to fulfill--they cannot depart from that--whether they actually live up to it or not is another thing), those children not raised by righteous parents will be given every opportunity to otherwise find the way. His blessing provided the option for them to make that choice given the constraints of their having absorbed the negative elements of their parents' household. I do agree that Laman was recognizing that his grandchildren, as descendants of Joseph, represented those "certain spirits who will lean toward righteousness and all they need is the righteous upbringing to make sure they stay that way."

Archived