Resheph in the Book of Abraham?

Olavarria

"the sun went down with Resheph as her/its gate keeper"(source).

Abr. 1:9

9)And it came to pass that the priest made an offering unto the god of Pharaoh, and also unto the god of Shagreel, even after the manner of the Egyptians. Now the god of Shagreel was the sun.

Is it possible that Shagreel is some pre-hebraic form of "gate of God",Sh-ar El(??????????)?

9)And it came to pass that the priest made an offering unto the god of Pharaoh, and also unto the god(????) of Shagreel(??????????), even after the manner of the Egyptians. Now the god(????) of Shagreel(??????????)) was the sun.

"the sun went down with Resheph as her/its gate keeper"(source).

9)And it came to pass that the priest made an offering unto the god of Pharaoh, and also unto the god of Shagreel, even after the manner of the Egyptians. Now the god of Shagreel was the sun.

Is it possible that Shagreel is some pre-hebraic form of "gate of God",Sh-ar El(??????????)?

9)And it came to pass that the priest made an offering unto the god of Pharaoh, and also unto the god(????) of Shagreel(??????????), even after the manner of the Egyptians. Now the god(????) of Shagreel(??????????)) was the sun.

What about the consonantal "g" Bro? Got to do something with it!

Could be a guttural ayin, but this is a tenuous suggestion.

That's true. The Ugaritic form of sha'ar is tgr. It's a nice idea, but I'm not buying the connection. The Ugaritic "t" connects with the Hebrew letter shin and the "g" in this instance is a gutteral ayin. If the BofA name was Tagreel, we would have a truly amazing link with the ancient Semitic world. As it reads, however, I can't understand historically why the shin would be preserved with the guteral ayin, if the root were in fact "gate."

Still, this is a very interesting proposal. Does it appear somewhere in print?

From the Deir 'Alla Inscription:

i.7 "The gods have banded together;

i.8 The Shaddai gods have established a council,

And they have said to [the goddess] Shagar:

'Sew up, close up the heavens with dense cloud,

That darkness exist there, not brilliance;

Obscurity and not clarity;

i.9 So that you instill dread in dense darkness.

And - never utter a sound again!'

Linkee

Anudder Linkee

Shagre-el could well be Shag'r-el, with two theophoric elements for two different g-ds [like, e.g., Yah-el, "Joel"].

We don't have to throw out the "g" if we look to Shagar, whoever she was.

According to HALOT, ???? appears in two places in the Ugaritic corpus, once on its own and once in the deity pair sgr w i?m, and a few times at Deir 'Alla, as well as Dt 7:13; 28:4, 18, 51. It may be a deity of cattle or flocks.

In another words, for those following this topic, both the Deir 'Alla inscription and the Ugaritic corpus refer to a deity expressed by the root shgr. This is not the same root that my friend John Tvedtnes proposes for the BofA name. No offense to John who remains one of my all-time personal heroes, but as Volgadon suggests, this connection is clearly a much stronger link with the BofA name Shagreel. Taking Dan's lead and looking up the root via HALOT it appears that the Book of Abraham name could mean something like "Offspring of El," rather than "Gate of El." Note the KJV translation of Exodus 13:12:

"That thou shalt set apart unto the LORD all that openeth the matrix, and every firstling that cometh of a beast which thou hast; the males shall be the LORD

In another words, for those following this topic, both the Deir 'Alla inscription and the Ugaritic corpus refer to a deity expressed by the root shgr. This is not the same root that my friend John Tvedtnes proposes for the BofA name. No offense to John who remains one of my all-time personal heroes, but as Volgadon suggests, this connection is clearly a much stronger link with the BofA name Shagreel. Taking Dan's lead and looking up the root via HALOT it appears that the Book of Abraham name could mean something like "Offspring of El," rather than "Gate of El." Note the KJV translation of Exodus 13:12:

"That thou shalt set apart unto the LORD all that openeth the matrix, and every firstling that cometh of a beast which thou hast; the males shall be the LORD

Archived