Seriously No Politics ×

A Sample of Pure Language

mapman

I found this at http://www.juvenileinstructor.org/from-the-archives-a-sample-of-pure-language-part-i-the-text/:

(As transcribed in Joseph Smith Papers, Revelations and Translations Volume 1: Facsimile Revelation Books, page 265, with some of the transcription simplified)

A SAMPLE of pure language

given by Joseph the Seer as copied by Br Johnson

[There is one continuous vertical line which crosses out the Q

I found this at http://www.juvenilei...art-i-the-text/:

This was one of the revelations Joseph recieved but was not published. What I don't get is why most of it is English. And what in the world is all this even supposed to mean? I would like your insights.

I am prepared to demonstrate that this stuff was, by and large, the brainchild (stillborn, it would seem :P) of William Wines Phelps.

This was more than likely copied by John Johnson Sr. The "Sample of pure language" was written by John Whitmer. The crossed out portions are unidentified. How do you identify who crossed something out? Other than that is all it says in the JS papers. To me it just shows Joseph was so far ahead of those who surrounded him. Still it is almost impossible to interpret what it all means without further information. For now it is answers to questions some parts put in English.

I found this at http://www.juvenileinstructor.org/from-the-archives-a-sample-of-pure-language-part-i-the-text/:

This was one of the revelations Joseph recieved but was not published. What I don't get is why most of it is English. And what in the world is all this even supposed to mean? I would like your insights.

To me it looks like the meaning is the same, although Joseph clarified the spelling of Awman to Ahman... as in Adam-ondi-...

D&C 95:17

And let the higher part of the inner court be dedicated unto me for the school of mine apostles, saith Son Ahman; or, in other words, Alphus; or, in other words, Omegus; even Jesus Christ your Lord.

D&C 78:20

Wherefore, do the things which I have commanded you, saith your Redeemer, even the Son Ahman, who prepareth all things before he taketh you;

Something of interest. I was reading today in Margaret Barker's "The Revelation of Jesus Christ" (p. 112), and found this interesting discussion of a title given to Christ:

He is also 'the Amon, the beginning of God's Creation' (Rev 3:14). What must have originally been 'amon appears in the greek text as Amen, a more familiar word and another sign that the book of Revelation was translated into Greek. The original would have been 'amon, a word found in Proberbs 8.30 but nowhere else in the Hebrew Scriptures. As a result, nobody could be sure what it meant: 'child' has been suggested, but LXX understood it to mean 'carpenter', one 'who joins things together' (a reference to the bonds of the cosmic covenant) and so the meaning is probably the same as 'aman, which means a Craftsman. the Man is described as this craftsman.

Which kind of syncs with this description and definition of Awman from the Sample of Pure Language: "The being which made all things in all its parts",

This was the Great Carpenter, who traditionally and symbolically used the Square and Compass as tools in his acts of creation.

Archived