Seriously No Politics ×

Another Mormon Paradox?

consiglieri

1. Mormons are taught from Primary that the Bible is the Word of God, but only insofar as it is translated correctly.

2. Mormons are taught at least from their youth that the Book of Mormon came forth largely to restore many "plain and precious things" that had been taken from the Bible.

3. Most Mormons are aware that Joseph Smith prayed his way through the Bible in order to provide an "inspired version."

Now for the paradox:

Why do so many Mormons become uncomfortable when I bring a different Bible than the KJV to church and quote from it?

Any thoughts?

A paradox, a paradox,

A most ingenious paradox!

We've quips and quibbles heard in flocks

But none to beat this paradox!

All the Best!

--Sullivanieri

I would guess it's because most LDS don't know much about other bible versions, other than that some are much better than others. Thus, not knowing the merit of the version you may be using could cause some members to be uncomfortable with using it as a support for interpretations of scripture that might be different than what they are used to.

1. Mormons are taught from Primary that the Bible is the Word of God, but only insofar as it is translated correctly.

2. Mormons are taught at least from their youth that the Book of Mormon came forth largely to restore many "plain and precious things" that had been taken from the Bible.

3. Most Mormons are aware that Joseph Smith prayed his way through the Bible in order to provide an "inspired version."

Now for the paradox:

Why do so many Mormons become uncomfortable when I bring a different Bible than the KJV to church and quote from it?

Any thoughts?

A paradox, a paradox,

All the Best!

--Sullivanieri

The KJV is the Church's official edition of the Bible. That does mean that the Church objects to the use of other editions of the Bible for private study and research. On the contrary, it is even encouraged. But for regular use, such as for teaching the official curricula of the Church for example, the official, standard edition should be used. That is one reason why they might feel uncomfortable with it. Another obvious reason is familiarity. When a KJV verse is quoted, Church members often understand it a lot quicker than when other other editions are quoted, because they are more familiar with it.

I don't see a problem with quoting other Bibles in a Gospel Doctrine class in an exceptional case in order to make a point; but for regular use, I don't see a reason why you should want to deviate from the official, standard, approved edition of the Bible. What reason would you have for wanting to go against the Church's official policy in regard to what edition of the Bible you want to use?

Now for the paradox:

Any thoughts?

A paradox, a paradox,

All the Best!

--Sullivanieri

It is only because the offical version for the church is the KJV and it would seem that they have a presupposition that all others have been tampered with even more. I find this is not the case, but at one point in my life I thought that all others versions were tamperd with and even less reliable then the KJV.

Some version are not reliable though like the NWT. And it appears the NIV has some issues too.

Some version are not reliable though like the NWT. And it appears the NIV has some issues too.

I like the NIV, but prefer the NRSV.

Sometimes it helps to let members know that, with the discovery of the DSS, the Old Testament texts got pushed back 1,000 years earlier than those used for the KJV.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

What reason would you have for wanting to go against the Church's official policy in regard to what edition of the Bible you want to use?

In order to teach more effectively.

Though the KJV may be precious, it is far from plain.

I also find that quoting a different version makes people pay a lot more attention to the scriptures, which is the primary objective of my teaching.

Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

I like the NIV, but prefer the NRSV.

Sometimes it helps to let members know that, with the discovery of the DSS, the Old Testament texts got pushed back 1,000 years earlier than those used for the KJV.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

WEll in light of certain threads some verse of teh NIV seem to have been changed, and it would seem they were changed to conform to a certain theological point of view. I do agree though about teh DSS, and it would behoove us all to get a bible that is more up to date and just compare.

Heck , they didn't just get uncomfortable, they met with the Bishop and checked the CHI when I was teaching EQ from the JS manual Chapter 25: Truths from the Savior

I read in a study group of 7th Day Adventists. They have many different versions. Latter-Day Saints in the group feel no discomfort in it. I have found many translations however to be inadequate, and some few to be better than the KJV.

In our ward I can count four different Bible translation versions including one in Spanish and one in Arabic. I have yet to see distress among the membership when those are brought forth. I have seen much the same in distinct wards both inside and outside the US. Often we go with what we are most comfortable with, most Americans are happy with the KJV. Of course ethnocentrically one will automatically presume that somehow being a Mormon makes you most comfortable with the KJV. I think the view is inaccurate based on the larger American context. Why are so many Americans uncomfortable with the KJV?

I believe the KJV is a convenience that has rooted itself for the sake of convenience. Are we uncomfortable when things aren't convenient? Sure, but that is human nature, not doctrinal.

I'm glad you quoted from Pirates of Penzance. I started singing it the minute i saw the title of your thread. :P

Anyways, i don't know if that would make me uncomfortable or not. I don't think it would. I am certainly more familiar with the KJV, so i would probably look up the corresponding verse in my own Bible just for comparison. I don't think it's anything to make a big deal of regardless.

I would guess it's because most LDS don't know much about [the] bible

I think many lds do not know much about the bible other than it was created by popular vote. and I also think many LDS do not bother with the bible because "so long as it is translated correctly". so as consig pointed out LDS it seems many lds do not treat the Bible as equal value to the BoM of Doctrine and Covenants.

consig...as for why they would cringe when you bring a different one in and read from it...probably because they think you seemingly tend to teach a personal agenda, rather than the lesson as outlined, and rather that give the benefit of the doubt they are jump the gun and cringe.

I would also think that many LDS do not think writings are scripture if the writing does not contain whosoever, thee, thou, thine, henceforth, speaketh, etc etc.

however, I am of the belief that english is a the worst language for spiritual matters. So I welcome other languages and someone fluent in that language to translate it.

In order to teach more effectively.

Though the KJV may be precious, it is far from plain.

I also find that quoting a different version makes people pay a lot more attention to the scriptures, which is the primary objective of my teaching.

Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

That is a matter of opinion I suppose. I am not without experience in gospel teaching, and I cannot say that I share your view. I find the KJV the ideal Bible to use, and I am not unfamiliar with other Bibles either. I am also puzzled how you actually use a non-KJV Bible in an LDS class, when everybody else is using the KJV? You quote form the NIV, let's say, and you expect the rest of the class to follow from the KJV? :P

Consiglieri, start quoting from the Pidgin Bible at church........

Da Boss Above, he take care me,

Jalike da sheep farma take care his sheeps.

He goin give me everyting I need.

He let me lie down wea da sweet an soft grass stay.

He lead me by da water wea I can rest.

He give me new kine life.

He lead me in da road dat stay right,

Cuz I his guy.

This though is from the Da Befo Jesus Book.

Here is one from Da Jesus Book. They had this on the wall of the baptismal site in Israel I worked at.

9Dat time, Jesus come from Nazaret town, Galilee side, an John wen baptize him inside da Jordan River. 10Right den Jesus wen come up outa da water. An you know wat? Jesus wen see da sky broke open, an wen spock God's Spirit coming down on top him, jalike one dove. 11An wow! Had one voice from da sky wen say,

Archived