Seriously No Politics ×

Became of Dust

WalkerW

It may be of interest to compare the original manuscript version of that passage in Moses:

Therefore I give unto you a commandment to teach these things freely unto your children,saying: inasmuch as ye were born into the world by the fall, which bringeth death by water, and blood, and the spirit, which I have made, and so became of dust a living soul,even so ye must be born again of water, andof the Spirit, and be cleansed by blood, even the blood of mine Only Begotten into the mysteries of the kingdom of Heaven; that yemight be sanctified from all sin, and enjoy the words of eternal life in thisworld, and eternal life in the world to come, even immortal glory.

I have heard of this before, not even a month ago...

While I was on vacation this was explained to me in a different manner, but using the Sacramental prayers, I Juan 5:7-8 and Moses 6.

The water aspect refers to baptism, the Spiritual aspect refers to confirmation or receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and the blood aspect refers to the covenants that we take upon ourselves every time we partake of the Sacrament (that being the emblematic expressions of the body and blood of Jesus Christ).

It also reinforced the LDS position of the Godhead in a manner of speaking, showing that water, the Spirit, and blood lead to the same purpose, the salvation of mankind, even though they are three different substances. So is God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit, being three distinct personages, but having the same purpose, the salvation of mankind.

In this epistle John is not talking to a sophisticated audience: the epistle is really a sermon so we can't be looking for something overly complex to be targeted to an increasingly Gentile audience when the epistle was written.

It won't do to underestimate their sophistication.

This is known as the 'Johannine Comma'

Thank you for pointing that out. The passage may not be John's (and a corruption), but reading it did made me consider the true principle of witnesses in heaven and earth, and that Christ bridges the two through His Atonement and the fulfillment of the covenants that grow out from it. Sometimes my thoughts have a mind of their own!

Thoughts? I really want to figure out what water, blood, and spirit has to do with coming from the dust.

Your allusion to the Enuma Elish's comment on the bicameral nature of humans, i.e., blood and dust is completely apt. I had a biblical professor who stated that blood meant life and that is why it was forbidden to eat the same in Jewish law. Further it was forbidden to spill one's blood because "Whoever sheds man

It won't do to underestimate their sophistication.

Hmmm. I talked to Eric Huntsman about this topic. My stand then was that John's audience were first century Jews who would understand the requirement of purity and sacrifice as expressed in the temple rituals. Huntsman essentially told me not to overestimate the collective sophistication of a congregation that is fracturing as demonstrated by the secessionists that John alludes to. :P

John has to make some sense to the 'children' he refers to in the epistle.

Archived