Temple complex Artifacts at "Khor Rohri"

Zakuska

For those who say there is NO ARCEHOLOGICAL evidence for the BOM... They've got some splanin to do.

Sumh10.jpg

Bronze Votive plaque dating 3rd C. AD (al Baleed Museum Salalah).

http://home.kpn.nl/~...rs/Sumhuram.htm

Seems to depict Temple gard being used around the 3rd C. AD. in the area Nephi Built his ship. I beleive it was also found in a TEMPLE complex.

More resources:

http://maxwellinstit...um=2&id=225

http://www.nephiproj...ge%20Plates.pdf

http://arabiantica.h...f/2000_2001.pdf

Things excavated so far: iron/bronze nails, lots of coins, iron tools and implements!

It's going to be instresting to see what else is excavated from the site.

The plate being 3rd century AD we can't really claim it came from Nephi or Lehi however... how much did they infuence people around them while they were building the ship?

Did they teach religion since there was a "Cult of LEHI" running around the country side from the time of lehi for many years after?

Also the plausibilit of the 1 Nephi account has increased in LEEPS and bounds.

One other thing I also find intresting, is the Temple complex where this was found was dedicated to the Moon God Syn. Perhaps an Lehi Cult who lost their way?

The plate being 3rd century AD we can't really claim it came from Nephi or Lehi however... how much did they infuence people around them while they were building the ship?

Did they teach religion since there was a "Cult of LEHI" running around the country side from the time of lehi for many years after?

One other thing I also find intresting, is the Temple complex where this was found was dedicated to the Moon God Syn. Perhaps an Lehi Cult who lost their way?

Wait a minute... I thought it was only atheists and apostates who were led away because of their love of Syn...

The plate being 3rd century AD we can't really claim it came from Nephi or Lehi however... how much did they influence people around them while they were building the ship?

One other thing I also find interesting, is the Temple complex where this was found was dedicated to the Moon God Syn. Perhaps an Lehi Cult who lost their way?

The bare fact that a young man in colonial America with no references available gave directions of a course in Saudi Arabia. All evidences such as a continuous flowing stream out of Granite mountains that emerges to a sea, halts, irrigated farms only along that route, the warning and dangers in the Yemen district, and etc... Then description of a place no where else found in Saudi Arabia, with honey bees, and metal ore deposits, along with a natural harbor and cliff settings above the Ocean to which brothers were at odds. I don't believe in coincidences.

It just supports my view of how bias the archaeological community and totally ignore biblical references to support
when I read this I started signing "Which came first the chicken or the egg". Finding "places" only shows a book is historically acurate to naming the place. Find a tablet which says "I built a great furnance and placed 3 people inside and lo, I looked in and saw four people chatting it up" or "I had a dream wherein the God of Abraham visited me and said 'Let my people return to and rebuild the wall and the Temple".

other than things of that nature, I doubt, much evidence can convince someone to the something, rather evidence posted herein, can only re-enforce someones standing belief.

other than things of that nature, I doubt, much evidence can convince someone to the something, rather evidence posted herein, can only re-enforce someones standing belief.

As Dr. Givens says, there is evidence enough for a life of credible belief or dismissive denial, and the choice between the two has moral implications. This is a prime example.

... there is evidence enough for a life of credible belief...

Only for those who already strongly believe.

Only confirmed believers who are anxious to find some kind of supporting connection could manage to create one using an artifact dated 800 to 900 years after an alleged brief encounter. How Zak can make the stretch to call this piece of metal archaeological evidence for the BoMo is beyond me.

For those who say there is NO ARCEHOLOGICAL evidence for the BOM... They've got some splanin to do.

Sumh10.jpg

Bronze Votive plaque dating 3rd C. AD (al Baleed Museum Salalah).

http://home.kpn.nl/~...rs/Sumhuram.htm

Seems to depict Temple gard being used around the 3rd C. AD. in the area Nephi Built his ship. I beleive it was also found in a TEMPLE complex.

More resources:

http://maxwellinstit...um=2&id=225

http://arabiantica.h...f/2000_2001.pdf

Things excavated so far: iron/bronze nails, lots of coins, iron tools and implements!

It's going to be instresting to see what else is excavated from the site.

I don't understand. Why do you think that this is evidence for the Book of Mormon?

I agree this is Bountiful, but the author in your link already dismisses it as Mormon nonsense. It just supports my view of how bias the archaeological community and totally ignore biblical references to support.

This doesn't surprise me. Any night of the week one can watch the Discovery Channel, or the History Channel, or Nat Geo, and come away with the idea that the pyramids of Egypt were nothing more than tombs built my megalomaniac kings for their dead bodies. There is rarely, if ever, any hint of what we know regarding the fuller purpose and symbolism of the pyramids and Egyptian religious ideas in their larger context.

Archeology, among a number of humanities disciplines, as been among the most aggressive in sounding out great swelling words of certitude regarding various subjects within its purview. Given such pronouncements and their history, Archeology as a discipline probably should have closed its doors at least half a century ago, if not before, as we had already discovered all their is to know about anything.

Ebla has apparently taught mainstream Archeology nothing, just as the isolationists would rather link arms with Darwin and ignore Campbell and others who have pointed out the really fascinating degree to which the religious ideas, symbols, motifs, iconography, sacred architecture and mythological concepts of peoples throughout the world show distinct similarities at a fundamental level and appear to have diffused throughout the world from some original, central cultural hub.

I'm really beginning to think that anti-Mormonism is really nothing more than a kind of hostility to truth and light qua truth and light, in a broader sense.

This doesn't surprise me. Any night of the week one can watch the Discovery Channel, or the History Channel, or Nat Geo, and come away with the idea that the pyramids of Egypt were nothing more than tombs built my megalomaniac kings for their dead bodies. There is rarely, if ever, any hint of what we know regarding the fuller purpose and symbolism of the pyramids and Egyptian religious ideas in their larger context.

Archeology, among a number of humanities disciplines, as been among the most aggressive in sounding out great swelling words of certitude regarding various subjects within its purview. Given such pronouncements and their history, Archeology as a discipline probably should have closed its doors at least half a century ago, if not before, as we had already discovered all their is to know about anything.

Ebla has apparently taught mainstream Archeology nothing, just as the isolationists would rather link arms with Darwin and ignore Campbell and others who have pointed out the really fascinating degree to which the religious ideas, symbols, motifs, iconography, sacred architecture and mythological concepts of peoples throughout the world show distinct similarities at a fundamental level and appear to have diffused throughout the world from some original, central cultural hub.

I'm really beginning to think that anti-Mormonism is really nothing more than a kind of hostility to truth and light qua truth and light, in a broader sense.

Man I was thinking along the same thought lines last night. How wierd. I was watching a special regarding the Sphinx of Eygpt. Eygptologists are so closed minded toward the age as being 2500 BCE. Yet two disciplines both Astronomy and Geology say the sphinx is much older possibly 7500 BCE or even 10500 BCE. In spite of the mathmatical and geological evidence by the 2 disciplines the Eygptologists (especially the head one, but can't think of his name) still stay in denial and say the other two are wrong.

Funny how none of the archaeologists I have met personally have expressed themselves along those lines.

Funny how none of the archaeologists I have met personally have expressed themselves along those lines.

These attitudes have been rife within disciplines like archeology, and even in the natural and hard sciences, since the 19th century. The stubborn insistence on pure isolationist interpretations of cultural history even in the fact of the mountainous evidence for a diffusionist model of the spread of religious/mythological ideas, is prima facia evidence of the problem.

Here is Potters assertion. Sorry for the cut and paste, but the link doesn't come through properly on his website when I post to forums . Don't ask me why? It's the only one of his though the rest does fine.

Khor Kharfot is not Nephi

The same was true everywhere!!!!! Yet another indication that the Potters don't really understand Arabia or the ancient world.

The only problem is that Potter never actually visited Khor Kharfot and did not know about the large sycamore tree that grow there and are suitable for ship building.

However, I don't think that it matters which was the actual Bountiful. What matters is that there are viable candidates in the area and that slice of land along the coast is almost directly east of the Nahom/Nehem site. Anywhere else along the coast is wild and barren.

Glenn

Do you know him personally to make such an assertion? Have you also seen his six-part DVD on the The Trail of Lehi or his DVD on the people of Lehi in Dedan? He has spent a great deal of time in the Middle East and contrary glenn there at Khor Rori is a National Park which is very tropical and looks very similar to Waipio Valley of the Big island of Hawaii plus it also has a natural harbor.

Do you know him personally to make such an assertion? Have you also seen his six-part DVD on the The Trail of Lehi or his DVD on the people of Lehi in Dedan? He has spent a great deal of time in the Middle East and contrary glenn there at Khor Rori is a National Park which is very tropical and looks very similar to Waipio Valley of the Big island of Hawaii plus it also has a natural harbor.

Yes, the Natural Harbor is what they are calling "Sumahram" which was the famous ancient frankenses harbor written about by the Roman and Greek Historians. When Lehi traveled through the area the town was a lot smaller but still pretty rich.

Don't need to know him personally.

guess what, I'm from the Middle-East. I know people from Yemen and people who've lived in Arabia. I've read a lot about it as well. As I've said before, if he had to walk any part of his trail as opposed to driving a range rover with a/c, he would reach rather diferent conclusions about it.

In all honesty... there are quite a few "ports" along the coast between Khor Kharfot and Khor Rori any one of which could have possibly been used. (Try a google earth and take a look for your self.) They both are on the same ocean plain one at either end. Khor Kharfot is a little of center IIRC. The whole area qualifies as the Land Bountiful. Now we are just splitting hairs.

<goes to verify if what he said was total BS or not>

Intresting Read:

In rejecting Kharfot as the possible site of Bountiful, Phillips claims that it "has truly difficult access from the interior," with "huge boulders and vegetation that block the canyon floor" (p. 55) of Wadi Sayq ("River Valley"), which leads from the interior desert. While it is true that Latter-day Saint tour groups wishing to see all Bountiful possibilities reach Kharfot by sea simply because it is easier than going by land, walking in to Kharfot is nevertheless quite possible. I have done so several times. Even after the 2600-plus monsoonal floods that have occurred since Lehi's time, choke-points of accumulated boulders and abundant vegetation do not deter exploration by serious researchers any more than they would have turned away a prophet-led group long ago.I believe the most accurate comparison of the three inlets in Nephi's day is as follows:

Khor Rori was well populated at the beginning of the incense trade, thus offering a source of local labor, but likely lacking fruit and certainly lacking a nearby mountain. Shipbuilding timber would have to have been imported from elsewhere.

Khor Mughsayl likely had at least a small population and may have been involved in the trade routes. It has small, nearby hills, but lacks both fruit and timber, which would have to have been imported from elsewhere.

Khor Kharfot was removed from the trade route and thus almost certainly unpopulated. Timber trees and wild fruit grow near the sea, and a distinct mountain overlooks the bay. It remains the most fertile coastal location in Arabia.

http://www.freerepub...n/2281359/posts

One thing I think people miss is that Nephi said they did work "timbers" that seem to have been imported and previously "worked".

1 Ne. 18: 1-2

1 And it came to pass that they did worship the Lord, and did go forth with me; and we did work timbers of curious workmanship. And the Lord did show me from time to time after what manner I should work the timbers of the ship.

2 Now I, Nephi, did not work the timbers after the manner which was learned by men, neither did I build the ship after the manner of men; but I did build it after the manner which the Lord had shown unto me; wherefore, it was not after the manner of men.

Also finding a temple complex at Khor Rori releases the " lacking a nearby mountain" Critique.

Archived