A cubit equals one day

consiglieri

The explanation to Figure 1 of Facsimile 2 gives a strange, almost offhand comment, wherein a unit of length is correlated with a unit of time; specifically "one day to a cubit."

Fig. 1. Kolob, signifying the first creation, nearest to the celestial, or the residence of God. First in government, the last pertaining to the measurement of time. The measurement according to celestial time, which celestial time signifies one day to a cubit. One day in Kolob is equal to a thousand years according to the measurement of this earth, which is called by the Egyptians Jah-oh-eh.

Does anybody have any idea what on earth this means?

Does it make sense from an ancient Egyptian or Hebrew point of view?

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

The explanation to Figure 1 of Facsimile 2 gives a strange, almost offhand comment, wherein a unit of length is correlated with a unit of time; specifically "one day to a cubit."

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

Could be a cubit along a circumferance is equal to one day?

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

In modern cosmology time can be measured in the same units as distance (or the other way around)! If I were LDS I would find this pretty intriguing. On the other hand, in the usual way of doing this, one day would not correspond to a cubit. Off the top of my head I would say that a cubit of time would be more on the order of a 1/300,000,000 seconds.

There's a discussion here

"...which celestial time significes one day to a cubit", or that as one of Kolob's days is the unit of celestial measurement, by which the size of the worlds are measured when the foundations thereof are laid, by which the distances of the suns and planets are regulated, and all the creations of the Holy Ones controled. That this cubit, which was the unit of measurement of holy things on this earth- the ark of the tabernacle, the Temple, etc. was also th eunit of measurement when this earth was created..."

In modern cosmology time can be measured in the same units as distance (or the other way around)! If I were LDS I would find this pretty intriguing. On the other hand, in the usual way of doing this, one day would not correspond to a cubit. Off the top of my head I would say that a cubit of time would be more on the order of a 1/300,000,000 seconds.

You got it!

Edit- No, I didn't do the math, but this is basically the concept.

Could be a cubit along a circumferance is equal to one day?

It depends on the speed and radius of course.

But that would be rather ad hoc whereas using light would not be. As I said, in the latter case, a cubit would be a small fraction of a second.

But to who God or us?

Huh?

What does that even mean???

By "second" I mean how long it takes the second hand on a good clock to move one notch (so to speak). Who cares what one calls it or whether it is man or God that watches that clock hand move? That amount of time is that amount of time.

Huh?

What does that even mean???

By "second" I mean how long it takes the second hand on a good clock to move one notch (so to speak). Who cares what one calls it or whether it is man or God that watches that clock hand move? That amount of time is that amount of time.

But what Im saying is the closer you get to the center radius the faster the time passes. Or is it the other way around.

IOW a cubit of time of a minute hand on a clock if measured close to the radius will be a lott more time passing than a cubit of time measured at the end of the minute hand.

So like I said from what point is the cubit being measured from? Gods time or our time?

Well, technically, if we were to use the likely metaphorical "a day of God is equal to a thousand years here on earth" scenario, then we come out with one of his "seconds" being equal to 1.68981481 earth hours, or 101.39 minutes, or 6,083.33 seconds. So 1/300,000,000 (0.0000000033 of a second) of a God second would be .0000202778 of an earth second. So no, it doesn't really matter whose watching the second-hand tick, it just matters whose time the second hand is set to. It's still a ridiculously small number either way for us to take literally.

I suppose it is much simpler than that.

I believe it probably refers to the apparent distance that the star Kolob appeared to be in the sky from the Celestial North Pole. The star we know as Beta Ursae Minoris today appears to be about a cubit from the celestial north pole. That same star is also known as Kochab, aka QLB, aka al-kawkab. The similarity in the old names is sufficient to wonder if Kochab and Kolob are one and the same. I believe they are. In the time of Abraham Kochab would have been the closest star to the Celestial North (Polaris, today's north star, was not in the north star position at that time due to procession in the Earth's rotation).

From Earth's northern hemisphere, Beta Ursae Minoris appears to orbit the celestial north pole once a day and doesn't go below the horizon even during the day even though its not visible to the naked eye because of the sky's brightness. The ancient Egyptians noticed that everything in the sky appeared to rotate around the spot in the sky known as the celestial north pole and so they believed that was where the throne of the gods was. If one were to measure its apparent distance as though the night sky were a flat surface it could be said to be about a cubit (the distance of a cubit isn't precisely known and changes by region).

Looking at it this way allows us to understand it simply as an ancient would have observed it, without any mathematical gymnastics or modern time units, and literally, ie, the star they called Kolob appeared to orbit the celestial north pole once a day at an apparent radius (or perhaps diameter, or maybe even circumference) of about one cubit (whatever they thought a cubit was)

Elapsed time exposure showing how all stars appear to orbit the celestial north pole.

Polar_Star_Trails.jpg

Looking at it this way allows us to understand it simply as an ancient would have observed it, without any mathematical gymnastics or modern time units, and literally, ie, the star they called Kolob appeared to orbit the celestial north pole once a day at an apparent radius (or perhaps diameter, or maybe even circumference) of about one cubit (whatever they thought a cubit was)

I like this analysis, precisely because it is based in an ancient cosmic view, rather than trying to keep poor Abraham up to speed with modern scientific discoveries.

I just wonder if there is something somewhere in some ancient document signaling a similar view being held by the ancients.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

I just wonder if there is something somewhere in some ancient document signaling a similar view being held by the ancients.

Obviously, aside from the BoA, any ancient document that speaks of Kolob is unknown, but the names Kochab and al-kawkab are of ancient origin and bear a noticeable similarity to the name Kolob.

It is fairly well established that at least for a time the Egyptians believed the throne of the gods to lie at the celestial north pole. Some of the pyramids are constructed with a very small shaft from the central burial chamber to the middle of the north face. This shaft points directly at the celestial north pole and is thought to be the conduit that directs the soul home to heaven.

The star which is the north star changes over time. Polaris, the current north star, has only been close enough to the celestial pole to be the pole star for about 1500 years. IIRC, it reached its closest approach about 2004. It is now moving away from the celestial pole and now appears to trace a circle in the sky about the apparent size of a dime held at arms length. It will continue to get farther away. We can accurately back track and find out which of the circumpolar stars occupied the north star position in the past. When the Great Pyramid was built Beta Ursae Minoris would have been visible through the shaft.

Another note of interest about the circumpolar stars is that they never set, and unlike stars farther away from celestial north, they are visible year round. Put another way,in an ancient cosmological view those stars never die, they are the immortal stars, the great one, the governing stars.

Zirkumpolar_ani.gif

Aside from the BoA, I don't know of any ancient document that speaks of Kolob,

Actually, I meant some ancient text speaking of equating distances in length with periods of time, as Fac. 2, figure 1 seems to do.

But wow! How did you come to know so much about stars, anyway?

I seem to recall having heard somewhere that at one point, Vega was the "north star" Egyptians used to align pyramids.

Any truth in that?

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

Interesting.

Presuming of course the BOA is NOT ancient.

Your slip is showing.

Interesting.

Presuming of course the BOA is NOT ancient.

Your slip is showing.

I'm not getting you here, my friend.

Such a question would start from the premise that the Book of Abraham IS ancient, and that perhaps there is a corrolary out there that would forge a link.

Sort of like Clyde Tombaugh looking for a planet he can't see but figures it is there because of things he can see and how they are acting.

And quit looking up my skirt.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

Rev 11 has some similar/related imagery.

In some contexts, time is symbolically equivalent to linear measurements.

Some pyramidoligists asserted that the Egyptians built the great pyramid at Giza based on such sacred measurements - and that the features/distances in that pyramid/temple foretold the timing for God's dealings with mankind.

Some believe it was based on Abraham's influence in Egypt.

Most believe that it predates Abraham.

Authors from Adventist, Church of God, JW, Philadelphian, LDS, and other backgrounds have written extensively about it.

Whether one chooses to give credence to such writings is another matter.

Actually, I meant some ancient text speaking of equating distances in length with periods of time, as Fac. 2, figure 1 seems to do.

But wow! How did you come to know so much about stars, anyway?

I seem to recall having heard somewhere that at one point, Vega was the "north star" Egyptians used to align pyramids.

Any truth in that?

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

I'm a bit of an amateur astronomer and wish I knew more. (Also wish I could afford some bigger telescopes.)

Vega was the star closest to the celestial north about 15 millenia ago, too long ago to have influenced Abraham, although it was never a true north star. Vega will be again become the star closest to the celestial pole in about another 12 millenia, but again, it won't be a true north star. Polaris has a little more than a millenia left in its reign as the North Star.

Most believe that it predates Abraham.

Thats my opinion. And rather than being influenced by Abraham, Abraham was influenced by it, so when the Lord taught Abraham about the intelligences, the rank of the stars as understood by Abraham was used as an example. It makes sense to me in that view, because it certainly doesn't match what we know to be true of the cosmos today.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

So wheres the missunderstanding? A cubit is measurement, wheather it be in feet,space or time; it is still mesurement. :P

I'm not getting you here, my friend.

Such a question would start from the premise that the Book of Abraham IS ancient, and that perhaps there is a corrolary out there that would forge a link.

Sort of like Clyde Tombaugh looking for a planet he can't see but figures it is there because of things he can see and how they are acting.

And quit looking up my skirt.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

But you're such a cutie pie! :P

Actually, I meant it more like "Freudian slip".

It was just that according to this wording, it sounded like you were saying we do not have "something" showing a view like this one (actually)"being held by the ancients."

It would have been helpful if it said something like "being held by other ancients" if that's what you meant. Oh well, I guess it's just the English teacher in me.

Oh, I forgot. I have never been an English teacher.

And incidentally, I am disappointed by your avatar. I thought you actually were Darren McGavin.

Archived