Book of Moses Variant: The Fall brings death by blood

David T

My research has led me to believe that the original spark that provoked the post-Joseph teaching that the flowing of blood in the veins was a result of the fall and a cause of mortality originated solely with the musings and writings of Orson Pratt. This finding is making me reevaluate that.

As pointed out in this thread, I've been finding in the original manuscript of the Joseph Smith Translation/Book of Moses some fascinating variants that were changed in later manuscripts (much like the Book of Mormon, and the revelations that eventually became the Doctrine and Covenants).

In Enoch's vision of Adam, our current Book of Moses reads thusly (Moses 6:58-59):

Therefore I give unto you a commandment to teach these things freely unto your children, saying: That by reason of transgression cometh the fall, which fall bringeth death, and inasmuch as ye were born into the world by water, and blood, and the spirit, which I have made, and so became of dust a living soul, even so ye must be born again into the kingdom of heaven, of water, and of the Spirit, and be cleansed by blood, even the blood of mine Only Begotten; that ye might be sanctified from all sin, and enjoy the words of eternal life in this world, and eternal life in the world to come, even immortal glory.

Compare with the version in the original draft (in OT1):

Therefore I give unto you a commandment to teach these things freely unto your children, saying: That by reason of transgression cometh the fall, which fall bringeth death, and inasmuch as ye were born into the world by water by the fall, which bringeth death by water, and blood, and the spirit, which I have made, and so became of dust a living soul, even so ye must be born again into the kingdom of heaven, of water, and of the Spirit, and be cleansed by blood, even the blood of mine Only Begotten into the mysteries of the kingdom of Heaven; that ye might be sanctified from all sin, and enjoy the words of eternal life in this world, and eternal life in the world to come, even immortal glory.

The original version is far more enigmatic, and even includes references to the "mysteries of the kingdom of heaven". I find it fascinating that the original version uses the three elements (blood, water and spirit) as both the bringer of a birth that leads to death, and also as essential in the New Birth that leads to eternal life -- The meaning is substantially changed in the re-arranging of terms in the revision, and the contrast/parallelism is lost!

My suspicion is that the change was made because it wasn't easily understood how water, blood and spirit could lead to death. Which, if a version of this in any form had been eventually transmitted and shared with Orson Pratt, could have led to his development of the Theory which he continued to promulgate.

"Blood, instead of imparting eternal life to the system, only imparts a natural or temporal life, and contains within itself all the ingredients of decay and death or dissolution." -Orson Pratt, The Seer, 1853

Either way, more and more I've been finding the differences between the first and second versions of the Moses text fascinating. Any thoughts?

I'm interested, but I am not sure I have anything intelligent to say. Just found this thread, and it's due for another bump imo.

As a convert, I miss a lot of cultural Mormon references which my wife just seems to have in the fibers of her nervous system.

She speaks of prohibition for missionaries to travel on the waters -- something about the spirit of the waters being evil and/or causing death.

Do you know anything about that? Could it be related? I have never seen anything in print about it, but I have learned that when she makes a reference she is virtually always right.

Edit: I found this, which is from a less than sympathetic site, but it still has some interesting references.

http://www.whymormons.net/2008/05/why-cant-missionaries-swim.html

I'm interested, but I am not sure I have anything intelligent to say. Just found this thread, and it's due for another bump imo.

As a convert, I miss a lot of cultural Mormon references which my wife just seems to have in the fibers of her nervous system.

She speaks of prohibition for missionaries to travel on the waters -- something about the spirit of the waters being evil and/or causing death.

Do you know anything about that? Could it be related? I have never seen anything in print about it, but I have learned that when she makes a reference she is virtually always right.

Thanks for the bump :P

As for your 'waters' question, I think that comes from an interpretation of Doctrine & Covenants 61

Thanks for the bump :P

As for your 'waters' question, I think that comes from an interpretation of Doctrine & Covenants 61

Yep.

But where did D&C 61 come from? And is it related? Water is an element of blood.....???

Rev. 11: 6

6 These have power to shut heaven, that it rain not in the days of their prophecy: and have power over waters to turn them to blood, and to smite the earth with all plagues, as often as they will.

This contrasted with the "living water" of the gospel- water of life and water of death?

Being washed to take away the blood and sins.....?

Gotta go but I will be back

I don't know how helpful this will be, because I can't remember precisely where it was found in Joseph Fielding Smith's "Answers to Gospel Questions". But in one of those volumes there was a reference to the Fall leading to blood coming into the veins of Adam and Eve. I recall this because on my mission in 1973 the priesthood study manual was taken from excerpts out of AGQ, and this particular doctrine was discussed in one of the lessons.

The reason it made such an impression with me is because one our recent converts who had shown such strength in the gospel heard this and it really smacked him upside the head. It caused him to apostatise, or at least go inactive for a time. I couldn't quite understand what the problem was, actually. I mean, what's harder to intellectualize: Eve being created out of Adam's rib; or blood coming into their veins as a result of the Fall? As far as I could see, both are equally "out there", and he had bought into the Genesis creation story all his life to that point and it didn't faze him.

Hi! All. That doctrine is not easy to absorb.

However, the Fall brought a bout a change to Adam and Eve that caused them to go from immortality to mortality, from incorruptibly to corruption. Now here is the part that is not taught as much. Death is change from one state to another state. When Adam and Eve were made mortal...they died to immortality. The Really good news is this...

We can overcome the world and be redeemed from the Fall while we are still in the flesh. We can received the promises of Eternal Life [as in exaltation at the hands of Christ while we are still in the flesh]. Jesus said if a man ate the bread of heaven he shall not die. And in John it goes to say...whosoever LIVETH and Believeth in me shall never die.

John 6:50 - This is the bread which cometh down from heaven, that a man may eat thereof, and not die.

John 11:25 - Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

John 11:26 - And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

Do you believe that if you overcome the world in your lifetime...that you will receive a White Stone [urim], A New NAme and the Hidden Manna [Revelation] and be redeemed from the fall so that you shall never die? [Put in the grave]

If you do not, then read no further. For without this vision, there can be no hope and so no faith in this matter at all.

In The Fall the earth behaves differently than it did before. It is only by the sweat of our brow can we draw anything out of it. It can hurt us, make us sick and even kill us.

Accidents, errors and sins can live side by side with those who live lives of Righteousness and holiness. In Blood we carry the seeds of mortality and death. And if we cannot win the "race" that Paul spoke of. Then indeed we shall be dragged into the grave. Though the scriptures tell us that the "wages of sin is death"...the doctrines of "Righteousness" is "Exaltation". However, any that have undergone the Change and so have not tasted death, I believe, none of these shall receive a fullness of their rewards until the Judgment day.

I think this is a far as I will go into this area except to say...that the teachings concerning the Fall cannot be well understood unless one understand the gospel of repentance and is given part of the gospel of perfection. In Celestial Kingdom sin cannot exist, God created Eden so that Sin can exist for a time. At least long enough for Adam to choose to follow the perfected world of God into the Fall and remain with Eve. This world in preparation for its resurrection has already been baptized by water, and shall be baptized by Fire at the coming of the Lord and shall be destroyed [rent in two by the unleashings of incredible forces]]at the last battle at the end of the Millenium.

It is By the power of the Resurrrection this world shall rise and be renewed into a Celestial Glory like our bodies [them who overcome the world shall be of the Celestial glory] and the Earth like us shall be sealed to its spirit forever. There is more to this...but this is much more than many can chew at this time.

Peace be unto you

bert10

I don't know how helpful this will be, because I can't remember precisely where it was found in Joseph Fielding Smith's "Answers to Gospel Questions". But in one of those volumes there was a reference to the Fall leading to blood coming into the veins of Adam and Eve. I recall this because on my mission in 1973 the priesthood study manual was taken from excerpts out of AGQ, and this particular doctrine was discussed in one of the lessons.

The reason it made such an impression with me is because one our recent converts who had shown such strength in the gospel heard this and it really smacked him upside the head. It caused him to apostatise, or at least go inactive for a time. I couldn't quite understand what the problem was, actually. I mean, what's harder to intellectualize: Eve being created out of Adam's rib; or blood coming into their veins as a result of the Fall? As far as I could see, both are equally "out there", and he had bought into the Genesis creation story all his life to that point and it didn't faze him.

And this, so there is obviously something to this. It came from somewhere.

http://en.fairmormon.org/Satan%27s_dominion_over_waters

I remember hearing that "satan has dominion of waters" in the MTC and on my mission as the reason for prohibiting missionaries from swimming. I don't remember how strongly I believed that -- it was 25 years ago -- but I probably did to some extent. Still, I was a 19/20 year old kid that grew up swimming competitively and surfing, so when the tempatation arose I took the bait. We (the entier zone) were at the beach on our prep day. We started out playing football, and after the ball was thrown a few times into the water, we were all there up to out waists. Body surfing was the next step. (We were in Guatemala.)

At least six months later in an interview, the Mission President out of the blue asks if I knew why missionaries were not allowed to swim. He then went on that it had nothing to do with satan and dominion over water, but only because the Church didn't want any missionaries drowning. He added that the Church didn't care how good a swimmer a missionary might be, as they had to draw the line somewhere. That was it, and he went on the the next topic.

I later found out that one of the missionaries at the beach that day had confessed to the mission president.

I researched the origins of that teaching, IE, where Joseph Fielding Smith got it from. The results, with quotes and citations, are in this thread here, for those interested.In post #7 there, I cite the earliest record of the teaching I could find: a stated speculation by Orson Pratt

Of course, it could just be a matter of punctuation. Add a parenthesis, and it says:

Therefore I give unto you a commandment to teach these things freely unto your children, saying:

inasmuch as ye were born into the world (by the fall which bringeth death), by water, and blood, and the spirit, which I have made, and so became of dust a living soul,

even so ye must be born again of water, and of the Spirit, and be cleansed by blood, even the blood of mine Only Begotten into the mysteries of the kingdom of Heaven;

that ye might be sanctified from all sin, and enjoy the words of eternal life in this world, and eternal life in the world to come, even immortal glory.

The message is most likely the same as the revision: as you are born into a mortal/dying state by results of the fall, of these three elements, so must you receive these three elements in the symbolic way (signified by 'into the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven') to overcome and receive Eternal Life.

Moses 6:55 may be a companion scripture: " And the Lord spake unto Adam, saying: Inasmuch as thy children are conceived in sin, even so when they begin to grow up, sin conceiveth in their hearts, and they taste the bitter, that they may know to prize the good.", which appears to allude to Psalm 51:5-7,

"Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me. Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden thou shalt make me to know wisdom. Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow."

In which case the 'revised' version of the Moses passage was just meant as a clarifier. (the added phrase was "That by reason of transgression cometh the fall, which fall bringeth death,"). It's a shame, however, that the reference to the Mysteries was removed. I think that adds, rather than detracts, from the understanding of the passage.

My main question, I guess, is not what was meant by the original version, as much as if it's possible it was interpreted this way (blood brings death?) by some, which necessitated a clarifying revision.

The same as in the Book of Mormon passage originally reading "The mother of God after the manner of the flesh" being changed in a later edition to "the mother of the son of God after the manner of the flesh".

I greatly enjoy seeing the alternate versions. It greatly adds to my study and pondering of the meaning of scripture. I'm especially interested in the recent word on the street that the Joseph Smith Papers project will be presenting additional recovered Book of Abraham text than has previously been published.

My research has led me to believe that the original spark that provoked the post-Joseph teaching that the flowing of blood in the veins was a result of the fall and a cause of mortality originated solely with the musings and writings of Orson Pratt. This finding is making me reevaluate that.

As pointed out in this thread, I've been finding in the original manuscript of the Joseph Smith Translation/Book of Moses some fascinating variants that were changed in later manuscripts (much like the Book of Mormon, and the revelations that eventually became the Doctrine and Covenants).

In Enoch's vision of Adam, our current Book of Moses reads thusly (Moses 6:58-59):

Compare with the version in the original draft (in OT1):

The original version is far more enigmatic, and even includes references to the "mysteries of the kingdom of heaven". I find it fascinating that the original version uses the three elements (blood, water and spirit) as both the bringer of a birth that leads to death, and also as essential in the New Birth that leads to eternal life -- The meaning is substantially changed in the re-arranging of terms in the revision, and the contrast/parallelism is lost!

My suspicion is that the change was made because it wasn't easily understood how water, blood and spirit could lead to death. Which, if a version of this in any form had been eventually transmitted and shared with Orson Pratt, could have led to his development of the Theory which he continued to promulgate.

Either way, more and more I've been finding the differences between the first and second versions of the Moses text fascinating. Any thoughts?

One thing I noticed about the removal of the "into the mysteries of the kingdom of Heaven" is the loss of the sense that being born again of water and the Spirit and (saved) by the blood of the Only Begotten Son leads to understanding the mysteries.

To many 'born again' types make the claim without a baptism, without the laying on of hands, and even without the need of repentance. They substitute the ordinances with a feeling of euphoric love for God.

A second birth into Christ is the starting point to understanding the mysteries of how God shares His glory with us in exaltation. It is too bad they removed this lesson from the original text.

I researched the origins of that teaching, IE, where Joseph Fielding Smith got it from. The results, with quotes and citations, are in this thread here, for those interested.In post #7 there, I cite the earliest record of the teaching I could find: a stated speculation by Orson Pratt

A quote from that post:

"The Seer [and other writings by Pratt] contain doctrines which we cannot sanction, and which we have felt impressed to disown, so that the Saints who now live, and who may live hereafter, may not be misled by our silence, or be left to misinterpret it. Where these objectionable works, or parts of works, are bound in volumes, or otherwise, they should be cut out and destroyed." (Deseret News, Aug. 12, 1865, 373;)

However, it appears Joseph Fielding Smith (before he became President of the Church), revived this teaching as support for his anti-evolutionary teachings in his books that were not Official Publications of the Church. He repeated it, Elder McConkie repeated it, eventually put it in the Bible Dictionary, and thus it became 'accepted'.

Extremely interesting!

Edit: I am changing my previous post because I noticed the answer to a question I originally posed there, but I wonder how this relates to the "mystery of flesh" Paul speaks about? I will post some references soon.

However, it appears Joseph Fielding Smith (before he became President of the Church), revived this teaching as support for his anti-evolutionary teachings in his books that were not Official Publications of the Church. He repeated it, Elder McConkie repeated it, eventually put it in the Bible Dictionary, and thus it became 'accepted'.

The doctrine is that the Bible Dictionary is not doctrine according to it's own introduction. However, there is nothing about this teaching that precludes evolution.

Other evidences, perhaps, that it is this spiritual substance which makes us immortal and perhaps "one flesh" in the eternities:

1Cor 15

39 All flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, and another of birds.

40 There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.

41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.

42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:

43 It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:

44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

47 The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.

48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.

49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

Ephesians 3:

1 FOR this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles,

2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:

3 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,

4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)

5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

6 That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel...

Ephesians 5:

28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.

29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:

30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.

31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.

32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

Colossians 1

22 In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight:

23 If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

24 Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:

25 Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God;

26 Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:

28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.

29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:

30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.

31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.

32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

This is actually quite important. It points out the symbolism of Men representing the Spirit (and the Lord), and Women representing the Flesh (and the Church). It's actually useful to keep this in mind in the Temple.

This is actually quite important. It points out the symbolism of Men representing the Spirit (and the Lord), and Women representing the Flesh (and the Church). It's actually useful to keep this in mind in the Temple.

:P

Archived