Seriously No Politics ×

"Mormon Scholars Testify"

Daniel Peterson

I would like to call the attention of any who might be interested to a new little website that I've launched with the indispensable help of a couple of friends. It's modest right now, and will grow at a modest rate. But I hope that, as it grows, it will be helpful to some.

http://mormonscholarstestify.org/

If you ever think to expand the content, to include JWHA scholars and the like,

you're welcome to add my testimony (already on the web elsewhere).

Did you get my e-mail with a free Google Wave offer?

Dale

I would like to call the attention of any who might be interested to a new little website that I've launched with the indispensable help of a couple of friends. It's modest right now, and will grow at a modest rate. But I hope that, as it grows, it will be helpful to some.

Would B. Kent Harrison be on your radar?

Bernard

I like it.

Make sure that each scholar has a Curriculum vitae (Paul Y. Hoskisson is missing one).

It would have more impact if it wasn't so BYU centric. I mean, everyone expects BYU scholars to be faithful, it would carry more of a punch if you get a wide range of scholars from across the world. However, I understand that the project has to start somewhere.

Lastly, I would have enjoyed it more if their testimonials were more related to their fields of study.

Hello Daniel,

I'll look forward to an article showing what is involved in keeping the sabbath and what the law of tithing involves, based on the written and oral teachings of the rabbis.

Hello Daniel,

I'll look forward to an article showing what is involved in keeping the sabbath and what the law of tithing involves, based on the written and oral teachings of the rabbis.

I'm not a scholar but I'll take you up on the challenge.

If you ever think to expand the content, to include JWHA scholars and the like,

you're welcome to add my testimony (already on the web elsewhere).

Thanks, Dale. But this website will focus, by design, on the testimonies of faithful, committed, believing members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Did you get my e-mail with a free Google Wave offer?

If I did, I haven't seen it. But I've been out of the country for a couple of weeks, and am hundreds and hundreds of e-mails behind.

He would be. Very much. Am I wrong, though, in thinking that he passed away a couple of years ago? (I hope so.)

Make sure that each scholar has a Curriculum vitae (Paul Y. Hoskisson is missing one).

Still working on it.

It would have more impact if it wasn't so BYU centric. I mean, everyone expects BYU scholars to be faithful, it would carry more of a punch if you get a wide range of scholars from across the world. However, I understand that the project has to start somewhere.

Precisely. I hope to get a good mix, ultimately, of men and women, converts and life-long members, Utahns and non-Utahns, Americans and non-Americans, in a wide array of disciplines. I've got a number of testimonies on the way from a pretty wide variety. But, of course, I know lots and lots of people at BYU, and they're near at hand.

Lastly, I would have enjoyed it more if their testimonials were more related to their fields of study.

I've expressly invited people to link their testimonies to their fields of study, but am absolutely laissez-faire (as befits a libertarian-inclined person such as myself) in permitting them to express their testimonies as they choose.

?????

sleepyhead, on 14 December 2009 - 07:58 AM, said:

?????

I'm not quite sure what he wants to do with a list of tannaitic and amoraic opinions on the Sabbath nor why he wants them from a site ofr LDS scholars to bear their testimonies on, but if he wants it he'll get it.

Bernard Gui, on 14 December 2009 - 01:05 AM, said:

He would be. Very much. Am I wrong, though, in thinking that he passed away a couple of years ago? (I hope so.)

;):P

Ahh the vagaries of the English language. :crazy:

Mormon....scholars?

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Isn't that something like matter and anti-matter colliding?

I was told the smart ones abandoned all Mormon affiliations long ago...and shut the lights out on the way out.

Who knew? :P

The graphic at the top kid of reminds me of the inside dust-jacket of Paul's book on Science and Mormonism. Very groovy.

Godlight.jpg

Doctor Steuss, you have such great taste! I actually have this on a T-shirt that I picked up from MIT. Good stuff!

More importantly, however, the website itself looks fantastic, Dan, and will no doubt fulfill an important need. I suspect Terryl Givens would be happy to contribute a testimony.

Thanks, Dale. But this website will focus, by design, on the testimonies of faithful, committed, believing members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

If I did, I haven't seen it. But I've been out of the country for a couple of weeks, and am hundreds and hundreds of e-mails behind.

Still working on it.

Precisely. I hope to get a good mix, ultimately, of men and women, converts and life-long members, Utahns and non-Utahns, Americans and non-Americans, in a wide array of disciplines. I've got a number of testimonies on the way from a pretty wide variety. But, of course, I know lots and lots of people at BYU, and they're near at hand.

I've expressly invited people to link their testimonies to their fields of study, but am absolutely laissez-faire (as befits a libertarian-inclined person such as myself) in permitting them to express their testimonies as they choose.

?????

Pretty sure you're wrong on that one. I just got off the phone with his wife, and she assures me that he [b. Kent Harrison] is very much alive.

The mathematical functions presented seem a little random ... the first half of the most prominent line is the derivative of the natural log of the probability density function. The second half of the most prominent line then simply defines it, where the two equations are separated simply by a space that could easily be confused with an implied multiplication.

I did not readily recognize the first(ish) and last line. The partial line at the top appears to be a repeat of the last line.

testimage.jpg

Anyway, if the concept trying to be presented is temple - science - Savior all working nicely together a function describing randomness may seem strange to some. :P

I noticed this under Sorenson's

He married Kathryn Richards of Magna, Utah, in November 1946, after which he served as an LDS missionary from 1947 to 1949 in New Zealand and the Cook Islands.

Not to derail the thread, but when did they stop allowing married people on missions (not couple missions)? I didn't realize it was still this recent, I though that went away more than 100 years ago.

Pretty sure you're wrong on that one. I just got off the phone with his wife, and she assures me that he [b. Kent Harrison] is very much alive.

Happy to hear it.

Then, in the immortal words of J. Golden Kimball, when he realized that the person he was eulogizing at a funeral was actually sitting in the congregation quite obviously alive and well, "Who the hell's dead around here, anyway?"

Thanks for posting the link to this site, brother Peterson, but honestly, it wasn't very helpul. I'm in left field these days.

It will help some. It won't help others. It will be irrelevant to many.

And yes, you're very, very far out in left field. I'm sorry to see it.

I have a few questions. What makes a Mormon scholar's testimony more interesting or valuable? How do they differ from Mormon athletes or Mormon housewives? Where do Mormon farmers or

Mormon ranchers fit in? And what about Mormon plumbers or Mormon morticians or the Mormon who never completed high school? Are these testimonies geared to "orthodox" or

"folk" Mormons? I can't imagine the "folk" Mormons even caring.

Also, what is the education level required for testimony submission?

Thanks for posting the link to this site, brother Peterson, but honestly, it wasn't very helpul. I'm in left field these days.

:P

Paul O

To (very) loosely paraphrase Hugh Nibley (someone you often deride), the best way to get out of left field is to turn 180 degrees and start walking towards right field. May I suggest you follow that advice?

I have a few questions. What makes a Mormon scholar's testimony more interesting or valuable? How do they differ from Mormon athletes or Mormon housewives? Where do Mormon farmers or

Mormon ranchers fit in? And what about Mormon plumbers or Mormon morticians or the Mormon who never completed high school? Are these testimonies geared to "orthodox" or

"folk" Mormons? I can't imagine the "folk" Mormons even caring.

Also, what is the education level required for testimony submission?

Of all the ridiculous criticisms! Dan Peterson is a scholar, so it is quite natural of him to start a website for himself and his colleagues. If morticians wish to do so as well, all the merrirer!

Archived