Seriously No Politics ×

Who Knows What Eeevil Lurks in the Heart of FARMS

Daniel Peterson

Over at the compound, my Malevolent Stalker announced today that the Maxwell Institute has intervened to block the publication of a new book by Rod Meldrum.

I categorically deny this. It is flatly false.

Normally, these days, I let my Malevolent Stalker's malignant and baseless accusations pass without response. But, since this one seems to insinuate a form of genuine wrongdoing on the part of an organization that I value, and since, even more totally than his claims typically are, it's untrue, I've chosen to contradict him directly and publicly.

I don't know whether anything has really happened regarding a new book by Rod Meldrum over at Deseret Book, but, if anything has, the Maxwell Institute has had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Over at the compound, my Malevolent Stalker announced today that the Maxwell Institute has intervened to block the publication of a new book by Rod Meldrum.

Normally, these days, I let my Malevolent Stalker's malignant and baseless accusations pass without response. But, since this one seems to insinuate a form of genuine wrongdoing on the part of an organization that I value, and since, even more totally than his claims typically are, it's untrue, I've chosen to contradict him directly and publicly.

I don't know whether anything has really happened regarding a new book by Rod Meldrum over at Deseret Book, but, if anything has, the Maxwell Institute has had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Doctor Peterson, Deseret Books didn't want to publish my wife's Topical Guide to the Hymns. Was that FARMS's doing as well?

Normally, these days, I let my Malevolent Stalker's malignant and baseless accusations pass without response.

Oh please. You have started a number of threads here recently to address things said on the other board. Why don't you go over there and respond? If the things they say bug you that much, go address them head on.

Oh please. You have started a number of threads here recently to address things said on the other board. Why don't you go over there and respond? If the things they say bug you that much, go address them head on.

Don't bother, 007. The moderators here have repeatedly stated that DCP is free to "defend himself" here from what is said there.

(Wouldn't it be funny if one of the Shady Acre residents started attack threads on a whole slew of MA&D posters, so each of them could in turn start a "defense" thread here? Oh, that would be a hoot and a holler!)

Who on earth wants to go over there?

What I don't understand is what Elder Rector is doing mixed up with this individual.

He was our area authority in the late seventies in San Diego where I spent most of my teenage years, and was very much respected and loved.

Meldrum appears to on his way out of the Church on one of those crazy rocket propelled contraptions Wyle E. Coyote constructs (or buys off the shelf from ACME) to catch the Roadrunner, and I don't think Elder Rector wants to be near him when the suction pulls everything in close proximity down with it.

What is Deseret doing taking this person seriously?

Who on earth wants to go over there?

Umm, Daniel is over there on a regular basis, make no mistake about it. The fact that the moderators allow him to start self centered threads here is certainly their call, but does not change the appearance of someone hiding behind a skirt.

Umm, Daniel is over there on a regular basis, make no mistake about it. The fact that the moderators allow him to start self centered threads here is certainly their call, but does not change the appearance of someone hiding behind a skirt.

I get a kick out of the notion that I'm too cowardly to participate on so formidable a message board as my Malevolent Stalker's.

My fear of that board was demonstrated abundantly, I think, in the thousands of things I posted there over (what?) the course of two or more years. I simply grew tired of the nonsense, and of the sheer, enervating futility of it all. (Any reasonable person who followed what I had to put up with there will surely understand what I mean.) I won't post there any more. Haven't done so in months. Life is good.

Do I still look in? Yes. Absolutely. I make no secret of it. On most days, once or twice a day. I find the place rather interesting. There are some people there that I like, and others that I find of considerable psychological fascination.

(Any reasonable person who followed what I had to put up with there will surely understand what I mean.)

I've been a long-time lurker over there, and undoubtedly you were treated horribly by many posters there, and the ones who defended you were few, to be sure. But I also think you gave it as good as you got it. Sure, some of "them" were more crude than you ever would be (you're a decent guy, after all), but one doesn't have to be vulgar to be insulting.

Oh, I do hope that my opinion of certain posters there was sufficiently clear.

But one can only repeat such things so often before the repetition begins to grow wearisome.

Back to the subject of the thread:

CFR

Next time you do a CFR, please make sure its for a claim about a matter of fact or state of affairs that has some empirical or documentary basis, and not an opinion.

I'm not going to respond to a CFR calling for a reference to my own stated opinion about someone (such as, for example, Joel Osteen is a religious hustler who uses feel good pop psychology and motivational speaking techniques to make massive amounts of money in the name of religion).

I'll explain that to you if you wish, but don't go the Mike Reed route and ask for a CFR on everything you don't agree with.

An odd question to ask right before going "over there" to post, no?

Not really. This thread made me do it. I had no will to resist. I just had to respond to Ray A's "butt sniffer" comment regarding people such as myself who support and defend Dr. Peterson on this diseased, Hiterite board.

Actually, I thought he had ended his posting at the other board permanently. I don't go there enough myself to know one way or the other. My only function there is to ring the door bell and run away now and then. I have little interest in anything else. I had any interest in serious discussion there beaten out of me long ago.

In any case, Brother Meldrum, at the outset, claimed to be recieving revelation for the Church on the subject of BofM geography, and has clearly decided that this issue can be resolved for the Church through his divinely inspired studies and discoveries.

He has already insinuated, if not outrightly accused the Brethren of botching it in this area, and seems to believe that convert baptisms would skyrocket if only his ideas are generally accepted.

This is a very effective way to find oneself outside the Church when one pushes such claims beyond certain boundaries and seeks to dictate doctrine to both the Brethren and the membership of the Church.

I don't think Meldrum knows what he's talking about (no CFR please), nor do I think even if he did it would have anything to do with the rate of convert baptisms or with somehow "proving" the Church true in some empirical manner.

In any case, Brother Meldrum, at the outset, claimed to be recieving revelation for the Church on the subject of BofM geography, and has clearly decided that this issue can be resolved for the Church through his divinely inspired studies and discoveries.

? I watched his video a few weeks back. And didn't get that notion from his presentation at all.

Are you referring to something he might have said years ago?

He has already insinuated, if not outrightly accused the Brethren of botching it in this area, and seems to believe that convert baptisms would skyrocket if only his ideas are generally accepted.

I didn't get either of those implications from his presentation either. Where are you getting this stuff?

This is a very effective way to find oneself outside the Church when one pushes such claims beyond certain boundaries and seeks to dictate doctrine to both the Brethren and the membership of the Church.

1) Which "boundaries" are you referring to?

2) In what way is he attempting to "dictate" doctrine to Church leadership or membership?

I don't think Meldrum knows what he's talking about (no CFR please), nor do I think even if he did it would have anything to do with the rate of convert baptisms or with somehow "proving" the Church true in some empirical manner.

1) I suspect you haven't reviewed his presentation for yourself. True?

2) I didn't get the impression he was trying to "prove" the Church true. What's your basis for saying that he is?

Just to clarify: The claim is that FARMS blocked the distribution of Meldrum's book at Deseret Book, not publication. The book has already been published.

Is there the slightest chance that you'll read the book?

Just curious.

Paul O

Archived