Seriously No Politics ×

The Wandering Healer

Doctor Steuss

It appears not so much. Chris Smith wrote about him and the parallels on his blog. I saw one of his comments about lack of documentation.

I'm not sure if we have any documents about him outside of Lucy Mack Smith's book (linked in the OP above) and her preliminary manuscript for the book (available in Dan Vogel's Early Mormon Documents, vol. 1). I looked through the indices of EMD, Joseph Smith Papers vol. 1, and Personal Writings of Joseph Smith and didn't turn up much else that mentions him.

I didn't link to Chris' blog as I don't know if there is anything on it ever that would go against board guidelines.

Bumping thread to first page for the final time (before I let it, and the Mack Daddy fruitful wandering spiritual healing philanthropist drift to oblivion).

Did you see Dan Vogel's online comments about him?

Dan wrote a book about his seeker movement, and apparent correlations between those seeker beliefs and LDS beliefs.

Did you see Dan Vogel's online comments about him?

Negative. You don't happen to have a link handy, do you (if not, maybe Dan does searches for his name from time-to-time on the board, and will stumble on this thread... speaking of which *puts out Don Bradley signal* :P )

Dan wrote a book about his seeker movement, and apparent correlations between those seeker beliefs and LDS beliefs.

From what I've been able to gather, there seems to have been minimal contact between him and the Smith/Mack family once he started on his little giving/healing quest(?)

Do you recall how Dan says these correlations were purportedly adopted by the LDS movement?

I was doing research on Jason Mack earlier this summer (like Chris, drawing parallels between Joseph and his seeker uncle -- undoubtedly to different conclusions) and haven't found anything outside of Mother Smith's sketches.

Maybe Uncle Dale could point us in Jason's direction.

Negative. You don't happen to have a link handy, do you (if not, maybe Dan does searches for his name from time-to-time on the board, and will stumble on this thread... speaking of which *puts out Don Bradley signal* :P )

From what I've been able to gather, there seems to have been minimal contact between him and the Smith/Mack family once he started on his little giving/healing quest(?)

Do you recall how Dan says these correlations were purportedly adopted by the LDS movement?

There's this BYU studies that references this a bit: http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:wQZ1nQeYvVMJ:byustudies2.byu.edu/showTitle.aspx%3Ftitle%3D7601+%22jason+mack%22+%22dan+vogel%22&cd=10&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari

You've probably seen it if you've googled though.

Embarrassingly, my search only involved going through the indexes of all of my Mormon history books/journals/articles that haven

Archived