Seriously No Politics ×

The Nephite Twelve Disciples

Hashbaz

At the end of the first day when Christ visits the Nephites he touches all 12 of his disciples (3 Nephi 18:36). A couple of days later as he's about to ascend into heaven, he touches all of his disciples except those three who desired to tarry like John (3 Nephi 28:12). Could it be that all 12 were translated when he touched them the first time and he undid it for the nine when he touched them the second time?

I'm aware that 3 Nephi 18:37 states that Christ spoke to them as he touched them and said he had given them the power to give the Holy Ghost (although the multitude didn't hear what was said - what he actually said was based on later testimony by the disciples themselves), but is it possible that there was more to it than that?

At the end of the first day when Christ visits the Nephites he touches all 12 of his disciples (3 Nephi 18:36).

I believe this first touching was a euphemism for "laid His hands on them" to ordain them to the Apostleship (Second Class, as it were).

The second instance would also have been a Priesthood ordinance. However, I do not pretend to see the precise purpose and nature of it.

Lehi

I do not see it that way. Only the three desired to be translated. The others wanted rest.

And it came to pass when Jesus had said these words, he spake unto his disciples, one by one, saying unto them: What is it that ye desire of me, after that I am gone to the Father?

2 And they all spake, save it were three, saying: We desire that after we have lived unto the age of man, that our ministry, wherein thou hast called us, may have an end, that we may speedily come unto thee in thy kingdom.

3 And he said unto them: Blessed are ye because ye desired this thing of me; therefore, after that ye are seventy and two years old ye shall come unto me in my kingdom; and with me ye shall find rest.

4 And when he had spoken unto them, he turned himself unto the three, and said unto them: What will ye that I should do unto you, when I am gone unto the Father?

5 And they sorrowed in their hearts, for they durst not speak unto him the thing which they desired.

6 And he said unto them: Behold, I know your thoughts, and ye have desired the thing which John, my beloved, who was with me in my ministry, before that I was lifted up by the Jews, desired of me.

7 Therefore, more blessed are ye, for ye shall never taste of death; but ye shall live to behold all the doings of the Father unto the children of men, even until all things shall be fulfilled according to the will of the Father, when I shall come in my glory with the powers of heaven.

3 Nephi 28:1-7

Archived