Classical Hebrew Poetry and The Book of Mormon: Word Play

Olavarria

Mosiah 28:7

7)And the Lord said unto Mosiah(?????): Let them go up, for many shall believe on their words, and they shall have eternal life; and I will deliver(???????????) thy sons out of the hands of the Lamanites.

Moshiah and hoshiah, both have the same root word,yasha "save".

Alma 27:24

And now behold, this will we do unto our brethren, that they may inherit the land(?????????-?????) Jershon; and we will guard them from their enemies with our armies, on condition that they will give us a portion of their substance to assist us that we may maintain our armies.

Yrshu means inherit; Hebrew yod is rendered as "j" in the KJV. Yosef->Joseph,Yerusaliam->Jerusalam etc. Yershon -> Jershon?

3 Ne. 8: 24

And in one place they were heard to cry, saying: O that we had repented before this great and terrible day, and then would our brethren have been spared(?????), and they would not have been burned in that great city Zarahemla.

Hml means spared.

3 Ne. 9: 13

O all ye that are spared because ye were more righteous than they, will ye not now return unto me(??????? ?????), and repent(???????) of your sins, and be converted(?????????), that I may heal you? Polysemy

Shooboo means converted,return,repent.

Morm. 5: 16

For behold, the Spirit of the Lord( ?????-?????? ) hath already ceased to strive with their fathers; and they are without Christ and God in the world; and they are driven about as chaff before the wind(?????? ???????-?????). Strophic Inclusio

7)And the Lord said unto Mosiah(?????): Let them go up, for many shall believe on their words, and they shall have eternal life; and I will deliver(???????????) thy sons out of the hands of the Lamanites.

And now behold, this will we do unto our brethren, that they may inherit the land(?????????-?????) Jershon; and we will guard them from their enemies with our armies, on condition that they will give us a portion of their substance to assist us that we may maintain our armies.

Yrshu means inherit; Hebrew yod is rendered as "j" in the KJV. Yosef->Joseph,Yerusaliam->Jerusalam etc. Yershon -> Jershon?

And in one place they were heard to cry, saying: O that we had repented before this great and terrible day, and then would our brethren have been spared(?????), and they would not have been burned in that great city Zarahemla.

Hml means spared.

O all ye that are spared because ye were more righteous than they, will ye not now return unto me(??????? ?????), and repent(???????) of your sins, and be converted(?????????), that I may heal you? Polysemy

For behold, the Spirit of the Lord( ?????-?????? ) hath already ceased to strive with their fathers; and they are without Christ and God in the world; and they are driven about as chaff before the wind(?????? ???????-?????). Strophic Inclusio

bump

Hml means spared.

last bump

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't really see anything in your first post to comment on, argue with, or get excited about. What got you excited about these comparisons?

Its the whole issue of Hebraisms in the BoM.

I like to use MADB as a test track for ideas.

Of the ones I shared on the OP, the most impressive in my mind is Alma 27:24; "may inherit the land(?????????? ???-??????? )Jershon." Yrshet et ha eretz Yrshon.

When translated into Hebrew, we see world playthat doesnt appear in English. Thats pretty cool, if u ask me.

Its the whole issue of Hebraisms in the BoM.

I like to use MADB as a test track for ideas.

Of the ones I shared on the OP, the most impressive in my mind is Alma 27:24; "may inherit the land(?????????? ???-??????? )Jershon." Yrshet et ha eretz Yrshon.

When translated into Hebrew, we see world playthat doesnt appear in English. Thats pretty cool, if u ask me.

As for the others, im not so sure. Thats I posted them.

Archived