The Lives And Travels of Mormon & Moroni

Cold Steel

I just finished reading this book and wondered if anyone else had read it.

Dr. Jerry Ainsworth has placed the Hill Cumorah north and somewhat west of Cerro Vijia, which is favored by other Mesoamerican scholars. He argues, and shows maps of, the Mesoamerican area with waters flooding much of what is now dry land. He also features the Padilla plates in his book, which have been discussed here.

These were supposed to be tested, or evaluated, at some point. As I understand it, the final verdict was that the plates were fake, but did Dr. Ainsworth accept that verdict? I'm also more than just a mite suspicious of the stone artifact he shows with reformed Egyptian. If he falls for stuff like that, it really calls into question some of his other findings.

Does anyone have any views of Ainsworth's work?

I just finished reading this book and wondered if anyone else had read it.

Dr. Jerry Ainsworth has placed the Hill Cumorah north and somewhat west of Cerro Vijia, which is favored by other Mesoamerican scholars. He argues, and shows maps of, the Mesoamerican area with waters flooding much of what is now dry land. He also features the Padilla plates in his book, which have been discussed here.

These were supposed to be tested, or evaluated, at some point. As I understand it, the final verdict was that the plates were fake, but did Dr. Ainsworth accept that verdict? I'm also more than just a mite suspicious of the stone artifact he shows with reformed Egyptian. If he falls for stuff like that, it really calls into question some of his other findings.

Does anyone have any views of Ainsworth's work?

I think he stated all over his book that many of his ideas are conjecture, and not set in stone.

I read the book in my last year in college, and enjoyed it very much. It certainly opened my eyes to looking at Book of Mormon geography in a new light. Not that I looked at it very much in any light before.

So I don't care if one or two theories are proven or disproven, or if a particular interpretation of a stone is valid or not. He has contributed to research in this area, and I for one don't think Br. Ainsworth is keeping still. I'm sure he is progressing and learning even at this time. It's the same with me in my profession. I've looked back on code I wrote 9 years ago with dismay. I'm glad I have progressed. I think with all the researcher's who are looking into Ancient American Geography, that their views will be modified and progress over the years.

The plates underwent some testing that resulted in the evidence I cited for the inconsistencies in their construction. Ainsworth new about those tests and discounted them. My addition to the information was in the problems with the inexpert copying of the Palenque tree of life. As you might imagine, he discounts that as well.

You can read Dr. Ainsworth's response here.

Although Jerry Ainsworth is a personal friend, I do not agree with many of the conclusions found in his book. We became aquainted at the Maya meetings here in Austin and have had many discussions both by Email and in person. Jerry, like many authors finds it difficult to change an opinion once it has been published in a book. He like many has become enamored with the Maya and this tends to bias his interpretations of the BofM text.

I think he makes many good points in his book but they tend to be obscured by his desire to present physical proof of the BofM such as the Padilla plates. I, however, must give his book credit for pointing me in the right direction with reference to interpreting BofM directional references.

One of the things that I try to do is to look for the gems of truth that may be found in all theories of BofM geographies and hopefully ignore the trash.

Larry P

I am reading it now... slowly but sure... I am kind of A Fan... He kind of has a netside here : www.mormonsites.org and you can ask him questions on the discussion board there... Not sure if that is open though, as it was attacked, some time ago, really bad with russian aso... dirty netsides. Tok me hours to delite the messages (and a couple days to notice the myhaim) I suppose netside had sent thread notifications all over, so people are a bit afraid coming in and discussing again... IT was closed a long time, not sure if it is open now. Ainsworth has his own part of the forum... he has had problems with internett and has not been able to answer often, mostly through a friend ... I am not sure, but I hope the situation has got better now... In "Reading room" there is some very interesting things to read. Enjoy.

Archived