Underwater Mesoamerican ruins

poulsenll

FYI for those interested

They are starting to invesigate a underwater ruins in Lake Atitlan in

Guatemala. This lake is thought by some to be where the city of Jerusalem

was buried under water. Although it is dated to about 250 AD, it could have

been earlier. In any case it is a good example of the existence of cities

that were buried underwater in volcanic regions.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091030/sc_nm/us_guatemala_archaeology_1

Larry P

FYI for those interested

Larry P

I saw that, cool stuff.

"and the city of Jerusalem and the inhabitants thereof; and waters have I caused to come up in the stead thereof, to hide their wickedness and abominations from before my face,"

FYI for those interested

Larry P

And more info just keeps coming all the time! :P

I would add that there were so many cities sunk underwater, that trying to place this one as Jerusalem is a long shot, but cool nonetheless.

The unique thing about the city Jerusalem is that it didn't necessarily sink...

"and the city of Jerusalem and the inhabitants thereof; and waters have I caused to come up in the stead thereof"

Lake Atitlan is surrounded by several volcanoes, and there is evidence that the level of the lake rose about 60 feet or so very abruptly, covering the ruins that they found. So you're not just looking for a sunken city - you are looking for one that was covered by water.

Hot off the press

Matt Roper just informed me that Rhinehart sent a soon to be published report to John Sorenson that places the rising waters some 200 years earlier right at the time of Christ's death.

Very interesting

Larry P

"and the city of Jerusalem and the inhabitants thereof; and waters have I caused to come up in the stead thereof"

Lake Atitlan is surrounded by several volcanoes, and there is evidence that the level of the lake rose about 60 feet or so very abruptly, covering the ruins that they found. So you're not just looking for a sunken city - you are looking for one that was covered by water.

The article says this site is dated to 250 A.D. This is 250 years outside the time frame of the supposed destruction of Jerusalem.

Right, what I'm saying is that it isn't nessisarily Jerusalem.

Yea, and the city of Onihah and the inhabitants thereof, and the city of Mocum and the inhabitants thereof, and the city of Jerusalem and the inhabitants thereof; and waters have I caused to come up in the stead thereof,

For those of us that don't -- anything noteworthy that could be summarized in English?

Although you may not understand the narration, she has some beautiful videos of the site that are almost self explanatory. She doesnt say much other than describe the site. She does mention that the site was occupied over 2000 years ago and according to pottery (IMO not a very precise dating method) was buried about 250 AD.

As mentioned above this dating has been revised to about 50 AD.

Larry P

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little northwest of Atitlan, in the Montebello Lakes on the border, the locals speak of ruins underneath the lakes. The lakes are generally avoided for swimming due to a local superstition that the lakes were cursed as well as the people who lived in those cities. These lakes are located just a few miles east of the ruins of Chin Kul Tik and Tenam Puente, near Comitan, Chiapas.

There are other underwater ruins in the Laguna de Terminos near Ciudad del Carmen. The fishermen love to go to 'the stones' where most of the fish tend to congregate and have refuge from the predators of the ocean.

The Atitlan find is quite interesting to say the least. It becomes more interesting given that is is in a volcanically and seismically active zone...

Another place I would love to search would be Miramar Lake near the Lacandon forest in eastern Chiapas. It is a rather huge lake a little north and east of Montebello.

Archived