Seriously No Politics ×

Exaltaion requirements

James Banta

Requirement for Exaltation  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Must a person be a polygamist (At least in heart) to receive exaltation

Well, for one, only marrying one wife and refusing to marry anymore.

Under what circumstances? Right now if one marries another wife and they have 2 wives in teh flesh they will be excommunicated. So lets think this through first.

Under what circumstances? Right now if one marries another wife and they have 2 wives in teh flesh they will be excommunicated. So lets think this through first.

In the Celestial Kingdom, can one make a request to only be with one wife if he wishes? Would God allow that?

In the Celestial Kingdom, can one make a request to only be with one wife if he wishes? Would God allow that?

If one has made covenants with two or more women, why should one be allowed to break a covenant?

I don't spend a lot of time here because I was told by a member of your church I had no right to be here. But this question has come up on another Posting board and I would like to get input from believing members of the church.. Please if you are not LDS don't respond.. IHS jim

You are welcome here as far as I am concerned - but who am I?

Must a person be a polygamist (At least in heart) to receive exaltation

Plural Marriage is a valid way for God's people to live.

I would say yes because we live it today -

at least those who are remarry in the Temple after their spouses die.

and if the other person is Megan Fox

Well lets see, God currently doesn't require polygamy to go to the CK so in my case. No request would need to be made. So yeah God would and does allow that.

To be a polygamist at heart is to believe in it as an eternal principle.. That you are ready to live in it as soon as the Prophet say God wants the practice restarted.. That you see it as an eternal doctrine of the Church.. I have no hidden agenda in this I just want to understand where the hearts of the membership lays in this matter..

I am not alway gentle in my presentation of the truth of the Bible as the Holy Spirit has given it to me.. This means that I stir the pot a LOT.. Some of you it would seem would rather not have their religion question by Biblical standards.. At no time have I or will I ever get obscene or make personal attacks. IHS jim

The issue is not whether or not the Church can be questioned by Biblical standards, but how it is questioned by your version of Biblical standards. Therein lies the debate.

But that's for other threads...

If willing obedience to God's commandments was the real question, why not make the question "Must a person be willing to do whatever God requires of them?" rather than focusing specifically on polygamy?

EDIT: This is why I rarely answer polls on this forum. They all either have an agenda behind them or are so badly worded that I can't honestly say that they represent my views.

No I want this to be just about polygamy.. The law that was outlawed by the Church is 1835 in Section 101:4 of the D&C "Inasmuch as this church of Christ has been reproached with the crime of fornication, and polygamy: we declare that we believe, that one man should have one wife; and one woman, but one husband, except in the case of death, when either is at liberty to marry again." Then in 1843 it was Polygamy.. Then in 1890 it was back to one man one wife.. No Polygamy is the question not obedience to God.. I just don't believe that God changed His mind about such an important doctrine that much and that often.. I tried hard to keep my personal feeling and agenda out of the question.. If you see it as being personally obedient to God you would have to say 'YES' as you response and I would understand.. But it would seem that many other disagree with you.. IHS jim

Out of curiosity, where does the Bible say that the leaders of the Church are to have ONE wife, and what does that mean for the Roman Catholics?

I would think that puts them on the outside of the requirement to be Elders (Bishops) and Deacons of the Church.. IHS jim

Glad to se you are feeling well enough to ask a question you already know the answer too. If you had to be a polygamist to be exalted that would really be bad for the members for the last 120 years. As a fo-mo you know that Section 132 of the D&C does not apply after 1890.

Actually my friend, I ask because Richard told me that Brigham Young didn't say that you must be a polygamist just that you must be a polygamist of heart only.. I wanted to find out if member of the church followed him or believed that polygamy in any form it no longer required.. It's not about obeying God it's all about polygamy and if mormons today feel that they still have to be polygamist at least in their hearts.. I didn't wish to contaminate the question by adding in all this data.. I think I am getting the answer I expected.. IHS jim

What the heck does "at least in heart" mean?

If it means that the person would be willing to live the commandment if so commanded, then it might be reasonable to answer "yes".

But I don't believe everyone will be commanded, since I don't believe there will be a >2:1 ratio of women to men in the CK.

It means what you think it should mean I don't want to tell anyone how to vote in this matter.. IHS jim

So why not ask then in your poll, that we believe that if God through a prophet commands us do do something that we will do it??

That is an entirely differnet question than being something at heart.

I am not interested in your interpretation of the bible. I am interested in what the text says. You deem it to be the HG giving you something. I have to take the critics stance here, what if what you think the HG is saying says something different to a different EV??

It happens all of the time. You guys can't even agree on what it means ot be a trinitarian let alone what the biblical deffinition of a christian is.

BTW the only people that have the authority to not have you be welcome on this board are the admins, and I don't remember them banning you as it is evident you are still posting.

The last thread we were in you took offense to something that was said that was inane and you left the board on you own volition. So don't come here an pretend to be a martyr. It wont work.

I welcome your dialgue.

I asked because of this quote by Brigham Young

"The only men who become Gods, even the sons of God, are those who enter into polygamy... I heard the revelation on polygamy, and I believed it with all my heart..."(Journal of Discourses, Vol. 11, page 269). One of your own told me that Brigham Young went on to say that they must at least be "Polygamists of the heart" So I ask do you believe you must be a polygamist of the heart to gain exaltation? I made the question as generic as I could so as not to tell people what they should say.

Oh BTW I will not post here if anyone here feel threatened by my posts.. I am not here to scare anyone but to lift up my Lord Jesus.. I do this daily elsewhere and if I do it here there will be times when I have to step on false notions kicking them out of the way so I can accomplish my purpose.. But know it is ALWAYS Jesus I lift not jim... IHS jim

Since it seems the original question was so hard to understand for some. . . If a person rejects the concept of polygamy will they be able to enter into celestial glory. . . or is accepting the concept a requirement?

No I never said that.. I am not so slow as to knpw that the church has always taught that baptism is the saving ordiance to admission to the celestial kingdom.. I am speaking here of exaltation.. IHS jim

You might want to rephrase the question -

If God asked you to be in a plural marriage relationship would you do it?

( In Heaven that is )

In doing so Richard's points could be compromised.. I don't want to do that... IHS jim

I asked because of this quote by Brigham Young

"The only men who become Gods, even the sons of God, are those who enter into polygamy... I heard the revelation on polygamy, and I believed it with all my heart..."(Journal of Discourses, Vol. 11, page 269). One of your own told me that Brigham Young went on to say that they must at least be "Polygamists of the heart" So I ask do you believe you must be a polygamist of the heart to gain exaltation? I made the question as generic as I could so as not to tell people what they should say.

Oh BTW I will not post here if anyone here feel threatened by my posts.. I am not here to scare anyone but to lift up my Lord Jesus.. I do this daily elsewhere and if I do it here there will be times when I have to step on false notions kicking them out of the way so I can accomplish my purpose.. But know it is ALWAYS Jesus I lift not jim... IHS jim

James,

You are a funny man. No one is "threatened by your posts". I can assure you, and even if we were you are welcome to stay. I don't understand you need to set your self up as a martyr on this board. What about BY commnet. I would like to see it in full context. As I see a whole bunch of ...... and ....... Something tells me that it says something different than you want it to say.

Okay, I get ya. So if it wasn't required of oneself here on earth it won't be required in the Celestial Kingdom.

The question doesn't ask about the "CK" but exaltation.. Pres Young said that if a person is not a polygamist they can't receive exaltation.. It has nothing to do with salvation in the "CK" IHS jim

James,

You are a funny man. No one is "threatened by your posts". I can assure you, and even if we were you are welcome to stay. I don't understand you need to set your self up as a martyr on this board. What about BY commnet. I would like to see it in full context. As I see a whole bunch of ...... and ....... Something tells me that it says something different than you want it to say.

I didn't hide the referance. Go look it up if you want more.. I quoted the part I thought was important.. IHS jim

Archived