1 Nephi 10

David Bokovoy

So I had to start a new thread, since I didn't want to pollute this really fun observation with that unmentionable football team.

So as a reader, I really love the way that Lehi uses the historical exilic experience of temporal captivity as an introduction to his theological conviction concerning a Messiah/redeemer who delivers Israel from a perpetual state of spiritual captivity. Whether or not the BofM is true, it really is a beautiful literary technique. In my estimation, Lehi

So I had to start a new thread, since I didn't want to pollute this really fun observation with that unmentionable football team.

So as a reader, I really love the way that Lehi uses the historical exilic experience of temporal captivity as an introduction to his theological conviction concerning a Messiah/redeemer who delivers Israel from a perpetual state of spiritual captivity. Whether or not the BofM is true, it really is a beautiful literary technique. In my estimation, Lehi

Why don't you write to Elder Holland and give him this story? I'm sure he'd love to read it.

Hey thanks for thinking the insight is of some value. Still, the reality is that Elder Holland wants us to take the Book of Mormon more seriously for spiritual growth, not to discover Hebraisms. As a result of my long time interests, that's simply what happens every time I sit down to study the book seriously.

In my estimation, the discovery of a possible Hebraism such as this is simply a lot of fun, but carries no immediate spiritual value. It doesn't even prove the Book of Mormon true. In the end, I love the book for the way it teaches about Christ and the way I feel when I apply its message. What's so wonderful about this work is that even if Joseph somehow wrote it himself, no one could take away from that spirit and the powerful impact the Book of Mormon has had on the lives of millions of its readers.

best,

--DB

Dear Alf,

How idiomatically would the following read if it were rendered in biblical Hebrew?

I admire and appreciate the modesty with which you share this insight. Since you seem to be disclaiming (or at least de-emphasizing) any evidentiary value to your observation, perhaps I'd be out of order to question whether the Hebraism is necessarily authentically ancient. My sense (uninformed by any actual study of biblical Hebrew) is that imitating translated biblical language will often produce Hebraisms naturally (as above, I'm guessing).

The John Greenhow statement you

Good stuff, David.

Good stuff indeed!

Hey Dr. P-- are you speaking at Claremont on Thursday? I seem to remember you were going to, but now I can find no reference to it at the site. Was I imagining it?

Good stuff, David.

VERY good stuff!

Hey Dr. P- are you speaking at Claremont on Thursday? I thought you were, but now I see no mention of it on the site.

http://rsc.cgu.edu/cmssa/

Good stuff indeed!

Hey Dr. P-- are you speaking at Claremont on Thursday? I seem to remember you were going to, but now I can find no reference to it at the site. Was I imagining it?

Gosh. I certainly hope not. Because I've got obligations up here on Thursday, and no plans to be in California then.

I think I'm now scheduled to speak at Claremont on 11 March.

Does the uncover/captive idea also relate (not in this chapter, but in general throughout scriptural teaching) with the cover/atonement idea? Which is found (cover/atonement), in my understanding, in some Mosaic Law rituals as well as in the Adam and Eve initiation (=Genesis)?

Gosh. I certainly hope not. Because I've got obligations up here on Thursday, and no plans to be in California then.

I think I'm now scheduled to speak at Claremont on 11 March.

I am probably just confused as usual-- I suppose it got into my calender incorrectly. :P

Does the uncover/captive idea also relate (not in this chapter, but in general throughout scriptural teaching) with the cover/atonement idea? Which is found (cover/atonement), in my understanding, in some Mosaic Law rituals as well as in the Adam and Eve initiation (=Genesis)?

Dang. Where do you keep getting these great ideas?

David- what do you think?

Edit: Notably I guess in the Greek for "Was made flesh and dwelt amongst us" - "tented amongst us" -- Putting on flesh etc--

Hello Maidservant,

It's a nice question, but no, they are two separate roots.

best,

--DB

Hi David,

Thanks for this. It was nice to include 1 Nephi 10 in my scripture study this morning and look for this pattern. A quick question, isn't Isaiah 40 considered a Duetero-Isaiah chapter? If so, how do you explain Lehi being able to quote from it?

Best,

John

Hi John,

Indeed, Isaiah 40 marks the start of the Deutero-Isaiah section from the book which derives from an exilic author. I'm afraid that I don't have a good answer yet for this issue and in my mind, it is the greatest challenge the Book of Mormon faces in terms of its historicity.

best,

--DB

Archived