Seriously No Politics ×

If Joseph had gotten Nahom from a map.....

Olavarria

Not only that, but the entire story fits over there, not just Nahom, but the people of Lehi, the Valley's, Bountiful, and much much much more..... Everyone must read "Lehi in the Wilderness" and watch the related DVD's over at Nephi Project. There is no way Joseph or anyone else could have gotten even a 10th accurate of what that book shows, fine stuff.... http://www.nephiproject.com

How would Nhm being found 500 miles to the north have invalidated its connection to the Book of Mormon?

I'm not sure what your talking about, so I think you misunderstood what he said. He was saying that it's not only the "name" that clearly matches, but where it is located, what was there at the time, and how that matches to the Book of Mormon claims and timeline. In other words, it all matches perfectly. And as I said, not only it, but many other points of the entire journey match, and other matching info.

I'm not sure what your talking about, so I think you misunderstood what he said. He was saying that it's not only the "name" that clearly matches, but where it is located, what was there at the time, and how that matches to the Book of Mormon claims and timeline. In other words, it all matches perfectly. And as I said, not only it, but many other points of the entire journey match, and other matching info.

I understood. You say that NHM is a perfect match. I'm asking a hypothetical; if the altars bearing the NHM inscription were found 50 miles south or 500 miles north of Marib wouldn't LDS still claim this as a perfect match? If not, why?

I understood. You say that NHM is a perfect match. I'm asking a hypothetical; if the altars bearing the NHM inscription were found 50 miles south or 500 miles north of Marib wouldn't LDS still claim this as a perfect match? If not, why?

It probably wouldn't amtter as the text only indicated that Lehi and Co went south. No if Nahom was found north of Jerusalem or East of it then it wouldn't fit at all. I am not all that familiar with every detail of NHM but I am familiar with the text of the BoM.

I doubt 50 milies would matter 500 miles that would probably make a bit of a difference.

It probably wouldn't amtter as the text only indicated that Lehi and Co went south. No if Nahom was found north of Jerusalem or East of it then it wouldn't fit at all. I am not all that familiar with every detail of NHM but I am familiar with the text of the BoM.

I doubt 50 milies would matter 500 miles that would probably make a bit of a difference.

that's what I thought; a "perfect" match it isn't, not withstanding the fact that a place called Nahom was not found, but an altar (altars?) with NHM inscription related to a tribe.

that's what I thought; a "perfect" match it isn't, not withstanding the fact that a place called Nahom was not found, but an altar (altars?) with NHM inscription related to a tribe.

It is as perfect a match as one could have when viewing historical documents and trying to peice it together and finding a place that fits really nicely. I wouldn't read to much into the words "perfect match". Perfect matches really are impossible unless Lehi stated that he had GPS coordiantes. But that would be a problem if he had.

There is no way Joseph or anyone else could have gotten even a 10th accurate of what that book shows, fine stuff.... http://www.nephiproject.com

A 10th of what?

Have you ever read 1 Nephi and cataloged the actual claims that are made about geography, distance, direction etc.?

While I admire the research done and the interesting things that have been found, 1 Nephi really isn't that descriptive, and there's a lot of latitude in which to find stuff.

A 10th of what?

Have you ever read 1 Nephi and cataloged the actual claims that are made about geography, distance, direction etc.?

While I admire the research done and the interesting things that have been found, 1 Nephi really isn't that descriptive, and there's a lot of latitude in which to find stuff.

right. by comparison, pick a random book and chapter from the Bible.

A 10th of what?

Not when one looks at the geography and geologic features of the regions which are being described.

A 10th of what?

It all "has" been cataloged and matched in "Lehi in the Wilderness" & the DVD's by http://www.nephiproject.com

It is a lot more descriptive than you think. EVERYONE should read this book before they comment on this subject, it's the first strongest complete evidence of the Book of Mormon, entirely validating 1 Nephi. It's AMAZING!!! :P

.. especially since he could've just gotten Naham or Nahum from the Bible

But he didn't. Not only is Nahom in the correct place, it also was in the right time. Plus, as was learned in 1996, a burial spot. That's right, although we knew there was a place by that name, we didn't know it was in the right time period and we didn't know it was a burial place until a little more than a decade ago, when the first buried bodies were found.

Had it been 500 miles to the north, or had it been founded in 269 B.C., it wouldn't have been in the right place or time. That it was a burial site only made more sense.

500px-Trail.jpg

Will the real Mt. Sanaii Please Stand up?!

I'm guessing you mean Mt. Sinai and first referenced in Exodus Chapter 16? The exact location isn't known. But the Sinai Peninsula is known. We know that Elim (verse 1)had "twelve wells of water and threescore and ten palm trees." It has been identified with the Wady Ghurundel, the most noted of the four wadies which descend from the range of et-Tih towards the sea. And the wilderness of Sin (also verse 1)is between Elim and Sinai. There are also references to Egypt and Canaan. There are references in the chapter to known weights and measures (an omer, which is the tenth part of an ephah, which measures to about five gallons). My point is that just about any chapter in the Bible will have verifiable references to some combination of known places, cultures, food, measurements, etc.

But he didn't. Not only is Nahom in the correct place, it also was in the right time. Plus, as was learned in 1996, a burial spot. That's right, although we knew there was a place by that name, we didn't know it was in the right time period and we didn't know it was a burial place until a little more than a decade ago, when the first buried bodies were found.

Had it been 500 miles to the north, or had it been founded in 269 B.C., it wouldn't have been in the right place or time. That it was a burial site only made more sense.

how do you get to put Nahom where Marib was located? There's no evidence that there was a place by that name? supposedly there are 3 altars with a tribal reference to NHM. That doesn't get you Nahom where Marib should be. Or am I missing something?

NHM is a clear win for the apologists. I haven't seen a good argument against it. Had the journey ended in Bountiful, the case for the BoM would be fairly strong.

But you'd still have to explain why beasts of burden are not mentioned during the Arabian journey. It appears they walked the whole way carrying all their provisions on their backs.

Who got stuck with the brass plates? Sword of Laban? Seeds of every kind? Bows? Clothes? Food? Animal carcases?

The tents and poles wouldn't have been the lightweight modern variety.

How did they hike 170+ miles in 3 days carrying all that?

It all "has" been cataloged and matched in "Lehi in the Wilderness" & the DVD's by http://www.nephiproject.com

It is a lot more descriptive than you think. EVERYONE should read this book before they comment on this subject, it's the first strongest complete evidence of the Book of Mormon, entirely validating 1 Nephi. It's AMAZING!!! :P

Hello,

In online newspapers and magazines, the general public is permitted to comment/critique their articles. Why do you think it is that the creators of the above site have chosen not to accept critiques from the General public?

Hello,

In online newspapers and magazines, the general public is permitted to comment/critique their articles. Why do you think it is that the creators of the above site have chosen not to accept critiques from the General public?

You have got to be kidding me....??? First it's not an online newspaper or magazine, second there are a MILLION websites out there that are information based which have no "commenting" ability. You must be young and of the blog and facebook generation? Traditional websites don't have comment ability in case you didn't know. Third, they have emails if you need to say something to them. But, they are busy and if they have seen whatever you say a bunch of times (from critics especially who's minds are closed) they may or may not respond, especially if you haven't even bothered to read the book or watch the DVD's to find out if the question has been answered already.

EbedLost.png

how do you get to put Nahom where Marib was located? There's no evidence that there was a place by that name? supposedly there are 3 altars with a tribal reference to NHM. That doesn't get you Nahom where Marib should be. Or am I missing something?

Get a good map of Yemen. Draw a circle containing the towns of Sana'a and Marib and the south bank of Wadi Jawf. Voila! That is what I understand is the Nihm tribal area. Now the ancient city of Marib with the temple structure, alter, burial sites, etc., is a little over two miles south of the present city of Marib. I hope that helps.

I'm guessing you mean Mt. Sinai and first referenced in Exodus Chapter 16? The exact location isn't known. But the Sinai Peninsula is known. We know that Elim (verse 1)had "twelve wells of water and threescore and ten palm trees." It has been identified with the Wady Ghurundel, the most noted of the four wadies which descend from the range of et-Tih towards the sea. And the wilderness of Sin (also verse 1)is between Elim and Sinai. There are also references to Egypt and Canaan. There are references in the chapter to known weights and measures (an omer, which is the tenth part of an ephah, which measures to about five gallons). My point is that just about any chapter in the Bible will have verifiable references to some combination of known places, cultures, food, measurements, etc.

No no. A psychic had convinced Constantine that a remote mountain near the southern end of the Sinai peninsula was the sacred mountain. Mt Sinai isn't in the Sinai Peninsula, because the Sinai Peninsula was still a part of Egypt. According to the Nephi Project, 1) Moses would not have driven Jethro

Archived