The allegory of the Tree of Life...

Bill “Papa” Lee

During Elder Holland's sermon (I don't know why we refer to them as talks) he spoke of the allegory of the Tree of Life, found in 1 Nephi 8. I will include it in quotes for the lurkers or those who do not have a BoM available.

THE FIRST BOOK OF NEPHI

HIS REIGN AND MINISTRY

CHAPTER 8

Lehi sees a vision of the tree of life

During Elder Holland's sermon (I don't know why we refer to them as talks) he spoke of the allegory of the Tree of Life, found in 1 Nephi 8. I will include it in quotes for the lurkers or those who do not have a BoM available.

When I first encountered this allegory I was impressed with its imagery and it spoke to me as a young adult. The older I get however the more impressed I am with this narrative. Each time I read it I find more and more how it applies to my life and the world around me and I become more convinced of its heavenly origins. This allegory accompanied with 1 Nephi 11 which explains the imagery in great detail is a treasure to the believing Latter-day Saint. It gives us an understanding as to how to remain believing, teaching us what to do if we find ourselves loosing our way and the ability to understand and put into perspective those who fight against the church of the Lamb of God. This making the BoM the most contemporary of books and not just ancient scripture which is hard to relate to our ever changing world.

Every time I read this I can see in my minds eye people that I know who are at every stage of this imagery. I can see the faces of those I personally know who are just taking hold of the rod, those who have lost their way, those who have overcome the darkness and are once again pressing forward, those who have just tasted of the fruit, those who are now seeking out family and friends to share the fruit with them, those who are now ashamed, those who have drown it the river and those who are in the large a spacious building pointing the finger of scorn. I even know a couple who have left the building and once again started their original journey.

I know then-m by name.

In my opinion this allegory of the Tree of Life is hard evidence as to the origin of the Book of Mormon and a great source of faith to me personally.

So I ask does this allegory have an equal in all of scripture? :P

Zenock's allegory of the Olive Tree in Jacob 5 is up there, considering it's the entire history of the world, in a nutshell... or olive pit...

I love the allegory of the Tree of Life...

When I first reactivated after over 30 years of being inactive, and I read this allegory again, it really hit me because it WAS me, i.e., I was one who had let go of the rod and was wandering off into the mist of darkness on one of the side paths... it was the death of my mom that whirled me around and sent me back to find the path again, and when I did, I grabbed onto the rod again... but this time... this time I'm holding fast and not letting go no matter the scoffing or fingers pointing at me on this board... I know the difference in the paths, and I'm going to hold fast as I press forward until I can partake of the tree...

About several months after starting to attend Church, I was asked to speak in Sacrament meeting and was told to select my own topic... my topic was the allegory of the Tree of Life...

GG

I love the allegory of the Tree of Life...

When I first reactivated after over 30 years of being inactive, and I read this allegory again, it really hit me because it WAS me, i.e., I was one who had let go of the rod and was wandering off into the mist of darkness on one of the side paths... it was the death of my mom that whirled me around and sent me back to find the path again, and when I did, I grabbed onto the rod again... but this time... this time I'm holding fast and not letting go no matter the scoffing or fingers pointing at me on this board... I know the difference in the paths, and I'm going to hold fast as I press forward until I can partake of the tree...

About several months after starting to attend Church, I was asked to speak in Sacrament meeting and was told to select my own topic... my topic was the allegory of the Tree of Life...

GG

I am reworking a poem about this topic...

Here in the Dark

While frightened dogs howl in the night

And distant planes take midnight flights.

I sit alone here in the dark

Once raging flame now faded spark.

When I wake, will I find

The darkness is still within my mind?

The once bright sun now fades to black

I fear it won't be coming back.

From the tree, I once did eat

That precious fruit, pure and sweet.

Then like others I was ashamed,

Denied the faith I once had claimed!

In foolish ways my time was spent

I vowed that soon I would repent.

In mist of darkness I lost my way

Into darkest night, from perfect day.

Then in the river I began to drown

As swifter currents pulled me down.

I now reside at rivers side

A victim of my foolish pride.

The choice was made the choice was mine

To see the light or to be blind.

I sit alone here in the dark

Once raging flame now faded spark.

William E Lee

I love it. There are so many little gems in there. Someday we'll understand it all.
True...the complexity of it also shows that the source is of heaven. No 21 year old is that wise

I'm so thrilled, I found a thread I can relate to! My faith has been renewed. Thanks PA PA!(and others)

True...the complexity of it also shows that the source is of heaven. No 21 year old is that wise.

I love the specific language of 4 distinct branches being grafted, to different spots of the vineyard. The only branch whose identity is known is the last of the four, planted in the best spot, being the decedents of Lehi. And the language of the Nephite branch withering away, and being overcome by the bitter fruit branch is wonderful, as well as the Jaredite tree being removed because it encumbered the spot when the nephite branch was supposed to be planted.

The amazing thing to me here is that this reference, (verse 44) the removal of the Jaredites and the planting of the Nephite branch in it's stead, uses the word "plant" instead of "graft". I bet you the grand Palmyra library didn't have any books on the method of planting olive branches straight into the ground, instead of grafting them into other trees that works just as well. It's called Truncheons.

This is another of many reasons I don't hold the modern theory of many others being on this land when the Nephites/Mulekites arrived.

Archived