Is the Spirit World part of this world?

mercyngrace

D&C 132:15-17 indicates that a marriage not sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise and officiated over by one in authority is not valid when the couple is "out of this world".

15 Therefore, if a man marry him a wife in the world, and he marry her not by me nor by my word, and he covenant with her so long as he is in the world and she with him, their covenant and marriage are not of force when they are dead, and when they are out of the world; therefore, they are not bound by any law when they are out of the world.

16 Therefore, when they are out of the world they neither marry nor are given in marriage; but are appointed angels in heaven, which angels are ministering servants, to minister for those who are worthy of a far more, and an exceeding, and an eternal weight of glory.

17 For these angels did not abide my law; therefore, they cannot be enlarged, but remain separately and singly, without exaltation, in their saved condition, to all eternity; and from henceforth are not gods, but are angels of God forever and ever.

So a proxy marriage in the temple counts as the N&E covenant for those couples who are sealed by temple patrons.

What about the people who are single and never marry in this life?

Given the promises made to single women and those suffering SSA (see the Bruce C. Hafen/ Evergreen thread), the only explanation from these verses seems to be that that the Spirit World is still part of "this" world.

Consider that these verses indicate those who do not participate in the N&E covenant will be angels. My understanding per D&C 76 (help me out if I've got this wrong) is that you become an angel after judgment, when the kingdoms are all sorted out and our place in them established. From the BD:

These are the messengers of the Lord, and are spoken of in the epistle to the Hebrews as ?ministering spirits? (Heb. 1: 14). We learn from latter-day revelation that there are two classes of heavenly beings who minister for the Lord: those who are spirits and those who have bodies of flesh and bone. Spirits are those beings who either have not yet obtained a body of flesh and bone (unembodied), or who have once had a mortal body and have died, and are awaiting the resurrection (disembodied). Ordinarily the word angel means those ministering persons who have a body of flesh and bone, being either resurrected from the dead (reembodied), or else translated, as were Enoch, Elijah, etc. (D&C 129).

So this would mean that marrying and giving in marriage doesn't take place AFTER JUDGMENT (that being "out of the world").

Does this make sense to anyone or am I overreaching? I seem to remember a quote that I can't find right now about the Spirits in the spirit world only being those that pertained to this earth, which seems to substantiate what I am saying especially since Joseph Smith indicated there were all kinds of creatures in the presence of God (not merely creatures pertaining to this planet?).

I speak from my personal beliefs and experience, when I say that the spirit world is in a way the spiritual earth. Those who are dead are by no means far from us, but are separated from the physical world by a veil or barrier or sorts, to prevent too much obvious interaction (although I think it does definitely take place).

You could say that it is a plane of existence that is parallel to our own (I hope I'm saying that right).

Here's an example that anyone who is familiar with D&D would get...the spirit world is the ethereal plane, layered on top of ours. The following is an entry from a D&D website about it...I've marked the most applicable parts in bold.

"The Ethereal Plane is coexistent with the Material Plane and often other planes as well. The Material Plane itself is visible from the Ethereal Plane, but it appears muted and indistinct, its colors blurring into each other and its edges turning fuzzy.

While it is possible to see into the Material Plane from the Ethereal Plane, the Ethereal Plane is usually invisible to those on the Material Plane. Normally, creatures on the Ethereal Plane cannot attack creatures on the Material Plane, and vice versa. A traveler on the Ethereal Plane is invisible, incorporeal, and utterly silent to someone on the Material Plane.

The Ethereal Plane is mostly empty of structures and impediments. However, the plane has its own inhabitants. Some of these are other ethereal travelers, but the ghosts found here pose a particular peril to those who walk the fog."

I do believe that under certain circumstances, spirits can become visible to us.

I hope that offers some clarity. lol. i'm sure i could have said it better. sorry. lol

There are no scriptures that directly address where the spirit world is but President Brigham Young once said:

"When you lay down this tabernacle, where are you going? Into the spiritual world?Where is the spirit world? It is right here. Do the good and evil spirits go together? Yes they do?. Do they go beyond the boundaries of the organized earth? No, they do not?. Can you see it with your natural eyes? No. Can you see spirits in this room? No. Suppose the Lord should touch your eyes that you might see, could you then see the spirits? Yes, as plainly as you now see bodies" [Discourses of Brigham Young, ed. John A. Widtsoe, pp. 376-81. Salt Lake City, 1946.].

Elder Parley P. Pratt said of the Spirit World:

"As to its location, it is here on the very planet where we were born; or, in other words, the earth and other planets of a like sphere, have their inward or spiritual spheres, as well as their outward, or temporal. The one is peopled by temporal tabernacles, and the other by spirits. A veil is drawn between the one sphere and the other, whereby all the objects in the spiritual sphere are rendered invisible to those in the temporal."(JD 3:368-69; KT, 132-33).

The Prophet Joseph Smith said, regarding the spirits of the righteous, not only are they "not far from us" but they "know and understand our thoughts, feelings, and motions, and are often pained therewith" (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, 326).

Besides those opinions quoted above, there are not many statements from church leaders about the exact location of the spirit world, so we probably can't say that this is "official" church doctrine, although it may be true doctrine. If it is true then it makes sense that only the spirits of people from this world are there and not from other worlds. Other worlds would have their own spirit world.

People who never marry in this life will still have the opportunity during the millennium. A thousand years ought to give them plenty of time to find someone.

D&C 132:15-17 indicates that a marriage not sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise and officiated over by one in authority is not valid when the couple is "out of this world".

I agree that "this world" is mortality and the spirit world after mortality, before the resurrection and judgment. This is he urgency for the saving ordinances to be provided for the dead before they are resurrected.

Paradise is clearly for the righteous: "Paradise is that part of the spirit world in which the righteous spirits who have departed from this life await the resurrection of the body. It is a condition of happiness and peace." Also, "reserved for those who have been baptized and who have remained faithful (see Alma 40:12; Moroni 10:34). Those in spirit prison have the opportunity to learn the gospel of Jesus Christ, repent of their sins, and receive the ordinances of baptism and confirmation through the work we do in temples (see D&C 138:30?35). If they accept the gospel and their temple work has been done, they may enter paradise." See http://lds.org/ldsor...0004d82620aRCRD

It would seem that people who "receive the ordinances ...through the work we do in temples ...may enter paradise." Or like the Prophet's brother Alvin, who would have received them if able in this life, or others who certainly would receive hem later, enter paradise.

The fact that they have to wait for the ordinances places some urgency on us to make this possible through our own devotion to the Gospel. Just like some people have to wait a long time in this life before joining the Church, marrying, having children, etc. through no real fault of their own, I suppose in the spirit world, an unhappy circumstance is cheerfully endured with a sure testimony and hope, trusting that the long-awaited day will arrive.

Thanks for the response, Gillebre.

Another thing that comes up under close reading is that D&C 76 says that sons of perdition cannot get forgiveness "in this world nor in the world to come" (v.34) the indication being that others DO still get forgiveness in the world to come.

If the Spirit World is still this world, does this refer to the post-judgment period?

Joseph Smith taught that there is never a time, in this life or the next, when a soul is too old to approach God for forgiveness. (teachings)

Archived