Seriously No Politics ×

Mormon Times article on my Sunstone Presentation

Mike Reed

Ah, so the Mormon Times is in on your conspiracy now, too?

"Contempt." "Aversion." "Opposition." "Taboo." Reed struggled throughout his presentation to find the right word to describe how Mormons feel about using the cross as a symbol.

I think your wording was absolutely correct. I've never perceived any "ambivalence" in mainstream Mormonism over use of the cross.

Ah, so the Mormon Times is in on your conspiracy now, too?

And even Deseret News now too:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705328913/Mormons-and-the-cross.html?pg=1

I think your wording was absolutely correct. I've never perceived any "ambivalence" in mainstream Mormonism over use of the cross.

Yeah. The objection to the words I used seemed rather silly to me too. I struggled to pin the word down, by evidence that I used more than one? LOL! Another problem I have with the article is that he makes it sound as though the "cross" was a very popular symbol for Mormons. I thought I made it clear, particularly in the Q/A session, that this is not the case. Oh well. I am still happy with the story.

Was this article in the print version? That's pretty wide exposure! Congrats!

These attitudes ended when Catholic Bishop Duane Hunt met with President McKay about an LDS author's book that was highly critical of Catholics.

I may be remembering incorrectly, but wasn't that "LDS author" Bruce R. McConkie, and the book in question Mormon Doctrine?

Another problem I have with the article is that he makes it sound as though the "cross" was a very popular symbol for Mormons. I thought I made it clear, particularly in the Q/A session, that this is not the case. Oh well. I am still happy with the story.

Such is journalism, I'm afraid. Welcome to the limelight!

Was this article in the print version? That's pretty wide exposure! Congrats!

Yeah. It is in print, just as the tribune article on my thesis a few months ago. http://wwrn.org/article.php?idd=30855 A family friend called my mother today to tell her that she saw it in the Mormon Times section of the Deseret News. I am thrilled that this info is getting out. Now... if only the publishers who are looking into the possibility of making a book of my thesis could get moving!

I may be remembering incorrectly, but wasn't that "LDS author" Bruce R. McConkie, and the book in question Mormon Doctrine?

You have that right.

Such is journalism, I'm afraid. Welcome to the limelight!

:P

What this old crumudgeon wants to know is how this thread got 5 stars after 8 non-substantive replies.

Hmmmmmm.

Oh by the way Mike, Congrats! :P

Yeah. It is in print, just as the tribune article on my thesis a few months ago.

A nice write-up by Peggy Fletcher Stack! I especially enjoyed this part:

As a Mormon child in Sacramento, Reed was fascinated by the cross. He once stole a cross necklace and wore it to church on the following Sunday. His mother viewed the theft and jewelry as signs of his apostasy, Reed says. "She asked me to put it under my shirt."

LOL!

Now... if only the publishers who are looking into the possibility of making a book of my thesis could get moving!

Hopefully the attention it has received recently will help encourage them. :P

A nice write-up by Peggy Fletcher Stack! I especially enjoyed this part:

LOL!

Yeah... the quote makes it sound like my mother knew I stole the necklace, and that she was more concerned about me hiding it than returning it. LOL! My poor mom was ambarrased to read that. Oh well. Yeah. I liked Peggy's article too.

Hopefully the attention it has received recently will help encourage them. :P

I hope so.

mfbukowski: Oh by the way Mike, Congrats!

Congratulations, Mike!

Thanks Juliann and mfbukowski.

Juliann: I really like the reporter (DeGroote). I've never seen anyone work so hard at getting it "right". Were you satisfied with the article?

It would have been nice if he called me (like he did Rees) before he published the article. This way a couple errors could have been avoided. But yeah, even though the article is not perfect, I am still very happy with it. I imagine that the hectic nature of his work--the preasure... always needing to publish new stories as quickly as possible--makes any reporter's hope for perfection a near impossibility. I don't doubt his sincerity and hard work. I am especially pleased to see that Deseret News allowed DeGroote to do such a large story on my presentation.

As a journalist I can certainly identify with De Groot as far as doing articles on academic subjects. They are probably some of the more difficult articles to do, especially when it is based on a presentation like those at Sunstone. If it helps, my presentation didn't get an article as far as I know.

Anyway, I still have your thesis on my queue, bro.

As a journalist I can certainly identify with De Groot as far as doing articles on academic subjects. They are probably some of the more difficult articles to do, especially when it is based on a presentation like those at Sunstone.

You make a good point. I was surprised by the amount of the information he was able to cram into that article.

If it helps, my presentation didn't get an article as far as I know.

Not yet, anyway. Maybe, now that BYU education week coverage has been completed, De Groot is now able to catch up on some of the Sunstone presentations he had previously intended to cover. Do you know if he, or another Des News reporter, attended your session?

Anyway, I still have your thesis on my queue, bro.

Once you are done researching Shawn McCraney's unparalleled contributions to academia, perhaps?

Really interesting article.

I remember being told to remove a St Christopher necklace before entering the London Temple as a young girl to do baptisms for the dead. So it's not (was not) just the cross that seemed to be disapproved of.

Archived