This Week In Gospel Doctrine Class

consiglieri

This coming week, we are on lesson 25(?) which talks about the apostles being sent to England in 1837.

This is remarkable to me because it was in the midst of so much apostasy and rebellion within the Church. The Kirtland (anti) Banking Society had been established and foundered almost immediately to the tune of around $40,000.00 in debt, causing apostolic luminaries such as Orson and Parley Pratt to falter; an insurgent group led by three apostles, calling themselves the "Church of Christ" and Joseph Smith an apostate, attempted to take over the Kirtland Temple; and Joseph Smith himself was struck severely ill, likely due to stress and fatigue.

When the most natural thing would be for Joseph Smith to gather his most trusted and loyal supporters close by for protection, he does the opposite and sends them to England to preach the gospel; with the result of 51,000 converts over the next 15-years.

It reminds me of the movie, We Were Soldiers Once, where Mel Gibson and the Seventh Calvary are pinned down in the hot zone in Viet Nam, and he knows he and his men are going to get slaughtered like Custer; and then he decides to attack at dawn.

Maybe I should play that clip for the class?

It's really cool when Snake shows up in the helicopter!

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

This coming week, we are on lesson 25(?) which talks about the apostles being sent to England in 1837.

This is remarkable to me because it was in the midst of so much apostasy and rebellion within the Church. The Kirtland (anti) Banking Society had been established and foundered almost immediately to the tune of around $40,000.00 in debt, causing apostolic luminaries such as Orson and Parley Pratt to falter; an insurgent group led by three apostles, calling themselves the "Church of Christ" and Joseph Smith an apostate, attempted to take over the Kirtland Temple; and Joseph Smith himself was struck severely ill, likely due to stress and fatigue.

Maybe I should play that clip for the class?

In reading your post, I thought "Wow. That's cool that the Church is teaching all that in a Sunday School lesson." But here's how that period is described in the teacher's manual:

Explain that as the Church grew, the forces working against it became more vigorous. Some of the Saints faltered in their faith. During this difficult time, the Lord revealed to the Prophet Joseph Smith that â??something new must be done for the salvation of His Churchâ? (History of the Church, 2:489).

Here's how the Church summarized the Kirtland Safety Society:

The United States was suffering a financial depression, and the Church felt the effects. Some members became caught up in rampant speculation and debt and did not spiritually survive a dark time of economic collapse, including the collapse of the Kirtland Safety Society. This banking institution had been established by Church members in Kirtland, and some members incorrectly blamed Joseph Smith for the problems associated with it.

Our Heritage

Warts and all indeed ;)

It's really cool when Snake shows up in the helicopter!

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

This reminds me of when a friend of mine got reprimanded by our SP when, as a Bishop's counselor, he referenced "The Matrix" in bearing testimony. :P

Here's how the Church summarized the Kirtland Safety Society:

Warts and all indeed :P

Yes, you see cinepro, none of it was possibly Joseph's fault. Because if Joseph could make a mistake, logically, current Church presidents could make a mistake! ;)

Yes, you see cinepro, none of it was possibly Joseph's fault. Because if Joseph could make a mistake, logically, current Church presidents could make a mistake! :P

It just seems a little forced to say they "incorrectly" blamed Joseph Smith for it.

Why didn't they just say "and some members blamed Joseph Smith for the problems associated with it"?

It just seems a little forced to say they "incorrectly" blamed Joseph Smith for it.

Why didn't they just say "and some members blamed Joseph Smith for the problems associated with it"?

That's just one of those "value judgments" that LOaP thinks good historians have to make at some point. It's good historiography. Trust us. :P

Hi Consig,

There are two things that are really outstanding in Joseph's actions at this time.

You quite rightly say that wisdom would have dictated that he keep the Brethren close during this period of hostility, not ship them off abroad on missions.

The other thing to consider is that at this time America was still a frontier land, not much more advanced than when it had been a former colony.

England was the very centre of the British Empire, which virtually ruled the world. It was a true saying that the sun never set on the British Empire.

As the perceived centre of the civilised world, missionaries were being dispatched from England to the four corners of the world, to aid in civilising the heathens.

Can you just imagine how much of an upstart Joseph would have been perceived as in seeking to preach & convert the powerhouse of Western civilization, from the comparitively lowly status of the US at the time.

Joseph could not have known that there was a whole underclass of people, deprived of the vast riches that the Empire was generating,kept in their lowly station, who somewhat like the disenfanchised Zoramites were ready to reach for the promised Zion.

These people left the British Isles bound for Zion, later on Charles ****ens had imagined them to be the dross of society, but actually found them to be the pick & cream.

These people were to be the lifeblood & the very reason that the Church was able to survive, even thrive despite the further persecutions that were yet to come.

From his very real position of weakness & trial in Kirtland, Joseph truly acted as the Prophet of the Restoration & ensured that the Church would survive not only Kirtland & Far West, but Nauvoo & Salt Lake yet to come.

It is surely no conicidence that he chose his best men for that mission.

I'm further reminded that later in Carthage he informed Dan Jones of his yet to be mission in Wales. I reside in the Merthyr Tydfil Wales Stake & we are part of the Birmingham England Mission.

Our mission presidents extend the challenge to newly arriving missionaries of beating the mission records. Wilford Woodruff baptising the United Brethren in Benbow's pond in one day, & Dan jones baptising thousands in Merthyr during his mission.

In reading your post, I thought "Wow. That's cool that the Church is teaching all that in a Sunday School lesson." But here's how that period is described in the teacher's manual:

This is the reason access to the Teacher's Manual is restricted.

In my class, only three even bother to read the scriptures, so I have no worries about somebody calling me on not following the manual . . . unless I'm really obvious about it . . . like calling my class the Unexpurgated Gospel Doctrine class.

I was at the ward building for an HP leadership meeting and saw a young lad I know who just graduated seminary (the son of the HP group leader). I told him we would be talking about "pistols and bowie knives in the temple" this Sunday. He lamented being shifted over into a temple prep class.

I told him that since this all happened in the Kirtland Temple, I was sure they would cover it there, too.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

If memory serves, the biggest mistake Joseph made was being too trusting and too generous. I seem to recall that Joseph sold shares for pennies on the dollar with the expectation that people would pay the difference at a later date. Many of them never paid up, but when failure was eminent they demanded their money at full face value.

T-Shirt

Archived